Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region do you like better?
Southern California 88 69.84%
Southern Florida 38 30.16%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:19 AM

43 posts, read 272,565 times

Advertisements

its a no brainer SoCal wins hands down, hands up, hands east, hands west etc.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:28 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,914,603 times
If I could have S. Florida weather (yes, some of us like tropical weather), S. Florida beaches, S. Florida flora (I love all our tropical foliage), but S. Cal's economy on cultural opps (and nearby mountains) I'd be in heaven. I have to vote S. Florida though.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 PM

204 posts, read 748,880 times
For living, SoCal

For vacationing, SoFlo

Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,370,189 times
SoCal, but I really like some parts of SoFlorida (in the winter/fall/early spring).
The bugs and flatness of SoFlorida depress me. I prefer SoCal b/c of the waves, the more interesting terrain, and (in my opinion) the better towns (San Clemente, Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, Carlsbad, San Diego). It's nice to be able to jog/bike/play sports outside almost every day of the year as well.
Some parts of SoFlorida are awesome for vacations though.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:04 AM

3 posts, read 11,406 times
Question my 2 cents

OK, I am facing the exact same dilemma right now, and am at a standstill upon deciding which pace to live. These are my observations:

I went to U of Miami, and lived in So Fla for 14 years. 6 months ago, I came out to live in the OC (Costa Mesa), intending to stay. With the housing market as bad as it is, my house in So Fla (Ft. Lauderdale) has not sold, and therefore I will most likely move back because I simply cannot afford my mortgage out in FL - $1360 for an 1100 sq ft, 2/2.5 condo - and my rent here in Costa Mesa - $1420 for a 600 sq ft 1/1 apt. So for cost of living - including gas, So Fla is the way to go. HOWEVER, there are many more thrifty and free offerings in So Cal - clothing stores, soup kitchens, housing assistance, programs for the unemployed and people with special needs.

The job market is much more expansive and diverse in So Cal, and the better jobs don't require bilingualism as they do in So Fla.

So Cal is more accepting of free expression - tattoos, piercings, culture, music, art; So Fla is more restrictive and it is harder to get a job with the body art that is highly acceptable in So Cal.

There is a ridiculous amount of Racism in So Cal. From skinheads to anti-hispanic groups, So Fla wins hands-down when it comes to accepting diversity in terms of race.

So Cal as an intrinsically better music scene. SO MANY amazing bands pass through So Cal, whereas So Fla may see some decent music, but it is so far south, that alot of great bands don't ever make it that far. So Cal also has more talent on the local level. Open mics, musicians, artists - I find Cali has more to offer here. However, a lot of So Cal closes at 2 am, whereas alot of shows in So Fla are first getting started then. The toss up is that you know you'll be home before 3 am in Cali, and usually out past 4 am in So Fla.

So Fla has a decent art scene, but it is more applicable at art festivals versus So Cal, where there is much more artisitc diversity on an every day basis.

Traffic is a nightmare in So Cal.

From So Cal, you can get to AZ, Vegas, San Fran AND Mexico in roughly 4-5 hours drive time. From So Fla, you can maybe get to Orlando in 4 hours drive.

There are many more outdoors-y things to do in So Cal. It rarely rains at all. The ocean is much colder, however, and while the surf is fun every single day, it generally gets blown out around noon. So Fla is blocked by the Bahamas down by Miami through Deerfield, but there is great surfing and warm water a bit north from Jupiter up to Cocoa Beach, Satellite & Sebastian Inlet. The waves are not as fierce in So Fl as in So Cal, but you can surf all day when there ARE rideable waves. Many, many more people surf and skate in So Cal, and it is a much more acceptable way of life than in So Fl.

So Cal is not as welcoming to outsiders. My experience in central OC is that the people here are mildly territorial, and many have lived here for generations. When I lived in So Fla for 14 yrs, I met maybe a baker's dozen of people actually born and raised in Florida. Most are Northeastern transplants, Cubans or Brazilians. So Cal has a bigger Asian and Mexican population; the OC has a very small Black population.

I find people in So Cal to be more cunning and "street smart". In So Fla they vary widely from highly educated to maybe having their GED. There is a HUGE recovering addict population in So Cal - the highest number of sober livings and recovery centers in the USA (Minnesota has a lot too, but not as many as So Cal). However the prevalence of harder drugs - widespred Meth use & Heroin addicts vs. So Fla's generally widespread Cocaine abusers. Pot is more acceptable on the West coast - there are a bunch of medical marijuana clinics, and with a prescription card, you will only get a ticket in So Cal for what would generate an arrest record in So Fla.

That's a lot of differences. I just wrote that whole list, and I am no closer to a decision for myself. Maybe it's because I am a Libra(!) Everyone has their own opinions, and I'm sure a lot of people may disagree with my assessment, however that's just my 2 cents, take it or leave it. Hope it helped you.....

Old 09-11-2008, 06:27 AM

3 posts, read 11,406 times
Oh, a couple more:

My allergies and asthma are ALOT worse in Cali. There is a ton more pollution here.

Sunsets are MUCH prettier in So Fla.

Hurricanes come with a warning BUT last for hours, and the damage can cause power outages and gas shortages for a couple weeks, depending upon where in So Fla you live. Earthquakes are much less common, but come with no warning. They only last a few seconds, plus aftershocks. I have only experienced the one that hit the Inland Empire here (a 5.8) and since I'm in Costa Mesa, it felt like I was on a cruise ship for 3 seconds, and then my cell phone didn't work for 10 minutes. It DID do damage and some people were killed where it hit directly. The last hurricane I experienced in So Fla was Wilma, and it left me with no gas for my Wrangler and no electricity for 2 weeks. I waited 7 hours in the HOT sun with my A/C off on a gas line.

It may rain every day in the summer in So Fla from 1 pm to 3 pm - tropical rain, where you can pretty much watch the rain from one side of the street or drive a different route to avoid the big rain clouds. You can literally see a storm coming and possibly avoid it. There are water shortages, so in So Fla there may be water restrictions - hours you can or cannot wash your car on odd or even days of the week, as designated by your town. Bacterially, you should not drink tap water in So Fla, whereas this is fine to do in So Cal. So Cal though is ripe with air pollutants, and you can literally see this at night in the air.

So Cal has amazingly scenic areas. The mountains and cliffs are breathtaking. So Fla is flat and boring. So Fla palms offer coconuts. So Cal palms do not, but are much, much taller.

In So Fla, everything is pretty much a direct route - all you need is to know where the ocean is, and have a compass and you'll be OK. In So Cal, the ocean changes angles on the coast, and also the streets are windy and not straight so you need a GPS if you aren't famliar with the area. There are a ridiculous amount of highways, and they all seem traffic-ridden. To travel up and down So Fla, you can take generally one of 5 major north-south roads - the Turnpike, I-95, State Rd 7 (441), US1, or A1A. In So Cal, its strange that sometimes you need to get onto a highway going South in order to get onto another that will take you North and vice versa. There are SO many - 5, 55, 73, 91, 405, 605, 22; it just gets SO confusing. People in So Cal tend to be much better drivers however.

There is more gang violence in So Cal.

People die of dumber things in So Fla - eaten by an alligator, driving into a canal, keeping generators on IN their garages during/after a hurricane and dying from carbon monoxide inhalation, etc. There are a ton more elderly residents in So Fla. Perhaps they go there to search for the Fountain of Youth (which I believe was thought to be in Northern Fla, but what the hell). My theory is that the reason the elderly gravitate toward So Fla is because they simply can't go any further. They hit the Keys, and that's the Southernmost part of the entire USA.

You may have to be at work from 7am-3pm in So Cal if you do any marketing or sales as this is 10am-6pm on the East coast, and allows you to reach more prospective clients. Hours of work are more flexible I find in So Cal.

OK THERE!!!! Now I think I am really done.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:31 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,390,763 times
Southern California.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,052,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
I prefer South Florida, hands down! No earthquakes and no wildfires there. And no violent (F-4/F-5) tornadoes, either!

Yeah, it's always so tragic when those F5's tear through the valley

Old 09-11-2008, 11:29 AM

36,625 posts, read 67,140,815 times
Southern California is my second home.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:49 PM

521 posts, read 1,623,599 times
SO CAL, all day every day!
I actually had a choice whether to stay in Miami, after 6 months of living there, or move to SoCal (actually my choices were longer than these two but I narrowed it down to these two). I picked SoCal and it was the best choice in my life.
The weather is the best. The nightlife. The job market (in LA). The lifestyle. And as an important aspect for me - the schools. The SoCal area has some of the highly rated colleges and universities in the country, paralleled only by New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.