Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region do you like better?
Southern California 88 69.84%
Southern Florida 38 30.16%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:42 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,743,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I choose S. Florida too! Great weather, great beaches, far less traffic than S. California, no earthquakes, access to more cities, lower cost of living, cleaner air, and better for asthmatics (which I am).
Actually drier air is better for asthmatics so maybe California would be better for that. Smog is mostly trapped in LA county area but Orange County and San Diego don't really have smog.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:54 PM

338 posts, read 609,147 times
I've been to both regions... but I prefer South California

Old 12-14-2008, 09:58 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,670,425 times
The SouthLand Love the new vibe Of Staples center b/c of LA Live. Love the 70 degrees weather year round without worrying about the weather to cancel any of my outdoor activities.The only thing i like about SoFlo is that you can have fun in the rain. You could actually play soccer in the rain b/c the rain feels good. In Socal when it rains it gets freakin cold which i hate and i can't tolerate the cold .

Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 PM

Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Southern Florida. Why? Because I represent the East Coast!
Socal or Southland ( Whatever you want to call it) Because i Rep the WestCoast.Tell me was up.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 PM

Default nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
does scarsdale even touch the water?
Not Even Futcha thinks hes a bad ass living near the city of NY where ever that is.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:44 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,691,278 times
South Florida one of only two tropical climates in the US. Hawaii being the other.You could also make an arguement that extreme South Texas would be a tropical zone. High humidity, rainfall and mild year around.

So Cal has a desert climate so the weather is a bit less predictable and the air is dry.

Both are prone to natural disasters...Cali has earthquakes and mudslides, while Florida has hurricanes.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:08 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,118,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse342 View Post
There is a ridiculous amount of Racism in So Cal. From skinheads to anti-hispanic groups, So Fla wins hands-down when it comes to accepting diversity in terms of race.

So Cal is not as welcoming to outsiders. My experience in central OC is that the people here are mildly territorial, and many have lived here for generations. When I lived in So Fla for 14 yrs, I met maybe a baker's dozen of people actually born and raised in Florida. Most are Northeastern transplants, Cubans or Brazilians. So Cal has a bigger Asian and Mexican population; the OC has a very small Black population.
This may be true of Orange County, but not all of SoCal. If you want to find xenophobic & racist white people in SoCal, then Orange County is the place to look.
Interracial marriage and that sort of thing is seen as nothing to comment on, as it is fairly common here. I live in a pretty conservative suburb in Cali and skinheads & anti-hispanic groups are not the norm.
Los Angeles is very diverse also. There are people from all over the US & world there. The joke about LA is that no one is actually from LA...everyone moves there from somewhere else to pursue some dream.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,117,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
South Florida one of only two tropical climates in the US. Hawaii being the other.You could also make an arguement that extreme South Texas would be a tropical zone. High humidity, rainfall and mild year around.

So Cal has a desert climate so the weather is a bit less predictable and the air is dry.

Both are prone to natural disasters...Cali has earthquakes and mudslides, while Florida has hurricanes.
SoCal has extremely predictable weather. Well over 300 days a year it will be sunny. I can plan a picnic on June 1 2009 in coastal OC and have a 98% chance that it will not be raining and will be a high temp of 70-80 degrees.

As far as natural disasters, the great majority of Californians are not affected by mudslides... Only people who live in Malibu and have houses built on the edge of hillsides have that problem. Earthquakes? The ones that cause significant damage are few and far between. 1989 was the last major earthquake to cause any substantial damage in the San Francisco Area, and 1994 Northridge was the last to cause substantial damage in the LA Area.

Hurricanes on the other hand...

Old 12-14-2008, 11:31 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,691,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
SoCal has extremely predictable weather. Well over 300 days a year it will be sunny. I can plan a picnic on June 1 2009 in coastal OC and have a 98% chance that it will not be raining and will be a high temp of 70-80 degrees.

As far as natural disasters, the great majority of Californians are not affected by mudslides... Only people who live in Malibu and have houses built on the edge of hillsides have that problem. Earthquakes? The ones that cause significant damage are few and far between. 1989 was the last major earthquake to cause any substantial damage in the San Francisco Area, and 1994 Northridge was the last to cause substantial damage in the LA Area.

Hurricanes on the other hand...

I know So Cal will just about always be sunny but in the winter it can be cold one week, warm the next whereas with South Florida or even extreme South Texas its warm pretty much all year.

With the Earthquakes its always the threat of one thats scary. PPL still think that the "big one" could happen. They are not predictable like hurricanes. With that being said neither would be fun to deal with..

Old 12-14-2008, 11:36 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,978,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
South Florida does not have a true tropical climate. South Texas definitely does not have a tropical climate either. The tropics fall in between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. There is no part of South Florida nor South Texas in that zone. It has snowed in parts of deep South Texas as recently as four years ago. The far western Miami suburbs see temperatures dip underneath 40 at least once every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.