Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which region do you like better?
Southern California 88 69.84%
Southern Florida 38 30.16%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Back in New York
1,104 posts, read 3,691,677 times
Reputation: 863

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
How long the min temps does matter for plants and animals, but for meteorologists, it doesn't. If a temp drops to, let's say, 30 degrees, then the recorded minimum would be 30 degrees. Even if it stays at that temp for only 5 minutes, the official minimum is still 30 degrees.

The point is if Miami (with a record low of 27 degrees) is "tropical," does that mean Los Angeles (28 record low) is also "tropical?"

True tropical locations don't have below freezing temperatures. Hawaii, for instance:

Record minimum temps:

Honolulu-------------- 49 (2-8-81)
Hilo------------------ 51 (5/1910)
Kahului--------------- 48 (1-20-69)
Lihue----------------- 46 (1/1946)


Obviously Los Angeles cant be tropical because its too arid....I see your point though. Thanks for the info!

 
Old 12-16-2008, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Back in New York
1,104 posts, read 3,691,677 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
All of So Cal is not a desert. Only the desert of So Cal is a desert!
Cities such as Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Santa Monica, Thousand Oaks, Burbank, Glendale, Burbank, etc are in a semi-arid climate (not desert).

"Desert" is defined by Meteorologists as an area receiving less than 10" per year in precipitation. The cities above get about 12-18" per year.
For instance, San Bernardino enjoys 16.72" per year. And the city of Tujunga 22.45" per year... more than twice of what true deserts receive. And more like three times what real desert towns like Palm Springs (5.62") get.
Again thanks for the info...perhaps I should say more arid.
 
Old 12-16-2008, 03:58 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
18,962 posts, read 32,424,325 times
Reputation: 13604
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Obviously Los Angeles cant be tropical because its too arid....I see your point though. Thanks for the info!
arid places can also be tropical. The leeward side of the Hawaiian islands receive little rainfall; Los Angeles receives more annual rainfall than some places in Hawaii like Kailua-Kona. Aruba is another example of dry, desert like locations in the tropics.
 
Old 12-16-2008, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Back in New York
1,104 posts, read 3,691,677 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
arid places can also be tropical. The leeward side of the Hawaiian islands receive little rainfall; Los Angeles receives more annual rainfall than some places in Hawaii like Kailua-Kona. Aruba is another example of dry, desert like locations in the tropics.
Yea very true. I was amazed to see Aruba was a dry rugged place. Not at all what I expected. Still beautiful though.
 
Old 12-16-2008, 06:39 PM
 
14,256 posts, read 26,806,589 times
Reputation: 4560
Ok we all know souh florida looses. Like always. I know we suck on city-data. We're loosers.
 
Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Irvine,Oc,Ca
1,423 posts, read 4,671,163 times
Reputation: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Car chases I would agree with you. Not on the fires though. The fires out in So Cal last for long periods and cover lots of land quickly. After all it is a desert. The fact Florida gets more rain makes it harder for a wildfire to get that out of control.
Much of soCal is a Chapparal not a Desert.Fires only last for one or two weeks because of the unpredicted Santa ana's Which could change any direction there's your anwser and because he Have Mountains and is hard to get to those spots on Foot.Were not flat you know.In FL Its all flat so its way easier to get to.
 
Old 12-16-2008, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Back in New York
1,104 posts, read 3,691,677 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Much of soCal is a Chapparal not a Desert.Fires only last for one or two weeks because of the unpredicted Santa ana's Which could change any direction there's your anwser and because he Have Mountains and is hard to get to those spots on Foot.Were not flat you know.In FL Its all flat so its way easier to get to.
I do realize your not flat but I heard on the news about a few ppl, including celeberities housing burning down. I was not implying who neighborhoods were being flamed.
 
Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 AM
 
8,289 posts, read 13,511,513 times
Reputation: 5018
Miami is not tropical but Subtropical since it has had freezing temps in the winter and snow flurries in 1977!
 
Old 12-17-2008, 09:07 AM
 
Location: West Coast
1,308 posts, read 4,117,828 times
Reputation: 698
Miami is subtropical technically, only because of some extremely rare freak events of cold weather... but for the most part, Miami feels like you are in the Caribbean.
 
Old 12-17-2008, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Sanford, FL
732 posts, read 4,147,911 times
Reputation: 405
I have never been to SoCal but SoFla is cheaper and less pollution, but it is hot and humid year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top