Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:41 PM

145 posts, read 347,149 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Maybe I'm asking for too much but I was wondering if there was a city out there that has warm (or at least mild) weather, relatively low COL, a big city feel (i.e. large skyline, major league sports, career opportunities, shopping/entertainment, etc.) and most importantly easy access to outdoor activities such as lakes, hiking, mountains, etc.? I've been thinking of ideal cities to end up and SF strikes me as almost perfect. It's got lots in the way of career opportunities in a wide variety of fields, a nice skyline/big city feel, and it's in one of the most scenic areas of the country with very mild weather (it's not LA but the next best thing IMO). The things I dislike about it, however, is the cramped housing and the fact that it's so expensive to live there.

Although I will initially be starting my career in a NYC/LA/DC/Chicago/SF location, I've been thinking about where I eventually want to end up/what my ideal life will be after I've spent a few years at my firm and am ready to start settling down. I'm much more of suburbs type of guy and my ideal setup would involve taking public transportation to work in the city where I can enjoy the benefits of being in a bustling metropolis, but also being able to afford a home and most importantly, owning a car so that I can do outdoor activities on the weekends.

I've visited some of the megacities like NYC, SF, etc. and thought they were awesome, but I also really felt trapped inside a concrete jungle and I really like not only having space to myself, but enjoying greenery and being able to get away from people and the bar/restaurant scene as well. At the same time, I'm a very career-oriented person and need to be in a city where I can meet professionals/have an upward trajectory (plus I love looking at skylines...just don't want to be trapped between the buildings that comprise them).

Are there any cities that fit this criteria or am I reaching for too much? If I had to give up one criteria, it would definitely be weather, but I'd really like to keep all if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:50 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
What's a relatively low cost of living? That's the question...

Seattle and Chicago come to mind as big cities/skylines/adequate public transportation, while still making it pretty easy to own a car and get away. Portland too, only a bit smaller feel and probably less career advancement opportunities.

Atlanta and Dallas could do the trick for a truly low COL, but you'd have to work in the right place that has convenient access to MARTA or DART, respectively.

There's a few other possibilities, but I think we can start the conversation here.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:42 AM

97 posts, read 160,143 times
I thought Seattle when I saw this post. But you said you were career-oriented. What career are you in? Seattle may or may not have opportunities for you depending on what career field you are in.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Maybe it's me but Seattle doesn't leap to mind as a "warm weather city", nor Chicago. In my opinion Atlanta would best fit the criteria of a large greenery-filled city with warm weather and easy access to lakes/mountains, and that offers an affordable lifestyle. It's also the hub of the Southeast US so pretty much every major company has offices there or is potentially even based there.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 AM

419 posts, read 656,360 times
seattle is not a warm weather city. Plus grey and overcast 90% of the time and COL - it is not cheap even though there is no state income tax. Have you checked the real estate and rental market here???? Green and scenic it is.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 AM

245 posts, read 319,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
Hi all,

Maybe I'm asking for too much but I was wondering if there was a city out there that has warm (or at least mild) weather, relatively low COL, a big city feel (i.e. large skyline, major league sports, career opportunities, shopping/entertainment, etc.) and most importantly easy access to outdoor activities such as lakes, hiking, mountains, etc.? I've been thinking of ideal cities to end up and SF strikes me as almost perfect. It's got lots in the way of career opportunities in a wide variety of fields, a nice skyline/big city feel, and it's in one of the most scenic areas of the country with very mild weather (it's not LA but the next best thing IMO). The things I dislike about it, however, is the cramped housing and the fact that it's so expensive to live there.

Although I will initially be starting my career in a NYC/LA/DC/Chicago/SF location, I've been thinking about where I eventually want to end up/what my ideal life will be after I've spent a few years at my firm and am ready to start settling down. I'm much more of suburbs type of guy and my ideal setup would involve taking public transportation to work in the city where I can enjoy the benefits of being in a bustling metropolis, but also being able to afford a home and most importantly, owning a car so that I can do outdoor activities on the weekends.

I've visited some of the megacities like NYC, SF, etc. and thought they were awesome, but I also really felt trapped inside a concrete jungle and I really like not only having space to myself, but enjoying greenery and being able to get away from people and the bar/restaurant scene as well. At the same time, I'm a very career-oriented person and need to be in a city where I can meet professionals/have an upward trajectory (plus I love looking at skylines...just don't want to be trapped between the buildings that comprise them).

Are there any cities that fit this criteria or am I reaching for too much? If I had to give up one criteria, it would definitely be weather, but I'd really like to keep all if possible.
I think Huntsville Alabama might be a good fit for you if you want low cost of living, warm weather, and access to mountains and lakes. It has an awesome mountain right next to downtown called Monte Sano. Huntsville also has a lot of smart people due to the prescene of NASA and department of defense contractors at Redstone Arsenal. Huntsville doesn't have a big skyline but it is pretty cool against the backdrop of the mountains behind it. Also some big old houses downtown with awesome architecture. I think Huntsville is one of the most scenic places in the country. Huntsville has great shopping for city its size including a new outdoor mall called Bridgestreet. There is a little retail/restaurant town center thing in the Madison suburb where you can live next to the restaurants and shops which is kind of like a little downtown area.

there are no pro teams there obviously but Nashville is only 2 hours away for NFL, Altanta is 3 hours or so, etc.

There isn't much need for public transportion in Huntsville b/c your commute won't be that long. You can live 10 minutes or less from where you work.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 AM

390 posts, read 940,915 times
Albuquerque, NM is a beautiful city. You should consider it.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Salt Lake City.

In the east look at Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte for big city bustle but the smaller cities will be closer to the actual mountains.

As for public transport, you will simply need to choose a home/apartment that is on a bus line to where you work. I take it your job is likely to be located in a downtown area?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM

37 posts, read 88,033 times
I live in Albuquerque and while it does have warm weather, low cost of living, and good access to outdoor activities, it has no greenery. Eastern Tennessee from what I hear meets all four criteria. However, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Kingsport/Johnson City have small city feel. Albuquerque has a mid sized feel to it, believe me I live there.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Maybe it's me but Seattle doesn't leap to mind as a "warm weather city", nor Chicago.
LOL! Yeah, it was a long post and by the end I forgot about the very first line.

If he doesn't want to concede for weather, then I think the largest southern cities with decent transit are Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Charlotte and Nashville. All of those would require luck and planning to be able to commute comfortably to work by transit, but I ordered that imo of most options to least.

For mountains you'd then look at Atlanta, Charlotte and Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.