Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 10:15 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times

Advertisements

Area east of Phoenix - I thought Arizona was all desert and flatland. But area E/NE of Phoenix area (Payson, etc.) is elevated with a lot of trees.

Phoenix and Las Vegas share same reputation as deserts. But the landscape of Phoenix area is so much nicer than Vegas.

I could never see myself settling in Vegas. But Phoenix area is a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 11:07 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
The desert-to-forest transition is everywhere in the West. Boise, Denver, anything on the Cascades...

Old 06-16-2022, 11:46 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
I was surprised to see farmers growing crops in the middle of the desert in Arizona.

Like - why?

Old 06-16-2022, 11:56 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Chicago: how easy it is to drive downtown (PITA getting there on the highway, but once there very easy).

San Diego: how chilly many days get between December and March.

Boston: happy hour bans

Last edited by elchevere; 06-16-2022 at 12:08 PM..

Old 06-16-2022, 12:02 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
San Francisco Bay Area - Being from NJ/NYC I am used to 4 seasons (although not as much as previously, thanks climate change!). What surprised me the most when I first went to San Francisco about 10 years ago was the whacky climates and micro-climates in such close proximity. Also how the temps are so out of whack in the summer months and other times of year compared to what I'm used to here on the East coast. Was not expecting that.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:54 PM

151 posts, read 87,622 times
I thought California was always warm but I’ve experience damp cold while visiting San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. San Diego really took me by surprise because it was freezing in Summer…

Old 06-16-2022, 03:40 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Pittsburgh: I was shocked at how beautiful the skyline setting was, and how interesting the place was in general. Loved it.

Madison WI: Figured it would be cool, but man, that's an impressive little city with a lot to do. Very impressive.

Southern Half of New Mexico: Flatter than I expected - more like rolling hills than mountains.

Oklahoma Interstate driving landscape: Impressively clean, way nicer than Missouri to the east or Texas panhandle to the west.

Downtown Charlotte: thought it would be bigger and more vibrant. Yawn.

Buckhead Atlanta: It's like a full-on 2nd city - with its own skyline, basically. Didn't expect that.

San Antonio: Felt much smaller than it has any right to feel. Not like a 1M+ city.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:03 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Portland, Oregon is more diverse than I expected, especially with respect to Asians, and have plenty of quality ethnic cuisine on par with what you can find in bigger cities.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:20 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Eastern Washington: I was kinda expecting more forests and rivers, I'd seen a picture of what I guess was somewhere in the Selkirks and thought that was representative of what lay east of the Cascades. Most of eastern WA is dry scrubland and desert like rural Nevada, with a sizable minority being Midwest-like farmland.

Olympic Peninsula: I guess I was expecting it to feel more remote, covered with thick endless tree cover and a permanent layer of fog. Some of the areas of the west peninsula (like Rialto Beach, especially at night) feel like that, but the general vibe out there is disappointingly "generic western US national park, with tourists everywhere".

Springfield, IL: Surprisingly rough and run-down. I'd been there in middle school (late '00s) and didn't remember much, and before I went through there last year, I was expecting more of an average, middle-America-feeling place.

LA: Most of it just felt like a normal city (in a good way), the rich fake parts and the trashy dated neon-filled parts were both pretty small fractions of the whole city. Lots of cool ethnic enclaves.

Salt Lake City: Not actually that scenic imo, mountains were surprisingly brown and the sky looked pretty polluted.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:31 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

LA: Most of it just felt like a normal city (in a good way), the rich fake parts and the trashy dated neon-filled parts were both pretty small fractions of the whole city. Lots of cool ethnic enclaves.

Once I finally saw a decent amount of LA, I really liked it. As a Chicagoan, it felt VERY different, more sprawling, but at the same time, dense and huge, somehow. A city I think I would like to live in, except for the fact it's so car-dependent. That part I hated, and would struggle with big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.