Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 03:38 AM

309 posts, read 760,073 times

Advertisements

I live in Seattle. I was born and raised here. It's a great city. Most people who live here really do love it here for the most part. People who live in Seattle talk about Seattle like it's the best city in the country and even the best city in the world. Don't get me wrong, I do like it here too but sometimes I think that people here get a little carried away with their love for Seattle. Overall it does not bother me too much because I normally just chalk it up as city pride.

So city pride I can handle. However, when I get annoyed and angry is when people here start bashing other cities. I have always loved traveling to different cities and love to experience new places and different parts of the country. I am the type of person who loves to appreciate a city for what it is. I always look at the positive qualities of every city that I visit. Every city is unique in it's own way to me.

Basically here in Seattle, this is how it goes. Seattle is an awesome city, and the rest of the country pretty much sucks. Especially and specifically when that city is compared to Seattle. It's like no place can touch Seattle or even come close to the greatness and beauty of Seattle. It's like this attitude of "How dare you campare any city to Seattle". I do realize that we live in a modern world that is really competitive where almost everything these days seems to be a pissing contest where we have to always compare everything, everybody, and every place. I just get annoyed when people always have to be so negative and put down a city and talk down about it like it's just a dump. It comes across as being very arrogant to me even though it's truthfully just that person being insecure. Arrogance normally comes from insecurity. Insecurity is why people are mean in my opinion.

Once again, I do love Seattle but I get mad when people here bash other cities. It's ok to love Seattle or love the city you live in but do you really need to bash other cities and look down on them? I have been experiencing this my entire life living here. Even my own parents have always "looked down" on other cities. My dad one time made fun of Nashville and said something like Nashville is just a bunch of country hicks. That comment made me mad. About a year ago, I was sitting in a bar here in Seattle and I happened to be wearing a Philadelphia Eagles t-shirt that a friend had gotten for me as a souvenir. This lady sitting next to said are you from Philly? I said no. She then made a comment that she thought Philadelphia was a crappy city. Her comment annoyed me but I just ignored her and decided it was not worth verbally getting into it with her about why she thought Philly was such a dump. I can handle someone thinking that Seattle is better than Philly without getting annoyed but I do get annoyed when a good city like Philly gets bashed like it's some total dump and like Seattle is so perfect. That's what happens here. People "look down on other cities" here in Seattle. As a person who was born and raised here in Seattle and who has lived most of my life here in Seattle, I sadly have been used to this my entire life. It really gets old. I guess the positive spin is that it must mean that Seattle is a pretty nice place. However, I still hate the arrogance and negative comments and negative energy that goes along with it all if you know what I mean.

I can name many different cities from all across the country and people here will just laugh and be like that place sucks, Seattle is so much better. For example, let me just name some cities real quick that I have heard Seattle people bash and "look down on". Portland, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Savannah, Charlotte, Omaha, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, St. Louis, Atlanta, Washington D.C., and I'm sure some other places that I can't remember.

The only cities here in Seattle that don't seem to get bashed much and "looked down on", are San Francisco, Boston, San Diego, Austin, and New York City. Other than those places, it seems like every other city in the country gets bashed and looked down on here in Seattle.

So I guess my reason for this little rant of mine is I'm curious if this goes on in your city? Do you constantly experience people in your city acting like your city is so much better than everywhere else? In your city is it more about just city pride or does it seem to be more about city arrogance with people saying your city is awesome and other cities suck? So feel free to fire away with any thoughts that you might have. Hopefully this does not all just seem like some stupid pointless rant and some of it makes sense to you.

Last edited by 007jamesbond; 07-31-2013 at 03:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:56 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007jamesbond View Post
I live in Seattle. I was born and raised here. It's a great city. Most people who live here really do love it here for the most part. People who live in Seattle talk about Seattle like it's the best city in the country and even the best city in the world. Don't get me wrong, I do like it here too but sometimes I think that people here get a little carried away with their love for Seattle. Overall it does not bother me too much because I normally just chalk it up as city pride.

So city pride I can handle. However, when I get annoyed and angry is when people here start bashing other cities. I have always loved traveling to different cities and love to experience new places and different parts of the country. I am the type of person who loves to appreciate a city for what it is. I always look at the positive qualities of every city that I visit. Every city is unique in it's own way to me.

Basically here in Seattle, this is how it goes. Seattle is an awesome city, and the rest of the country pretty much sucks. Especially and specifically when that city is compared to Seattle. It's like no place can touch Seattle or even come close to the greatness and beauty of Seattle. It's like this attitude of "How dare you campare any city to Seattle". I do realize that we live in a modern world that is really competitive where almost everything these days seems to be a pissing contest where we have to always compare everything, everybody, and every place. I just get annoyed when people always have to be so negative and put down a city and talk down about it like it's just a dump. It comes across as being very arrogant to me even though it's truthfully just that person being insecure. Arrogance normally comes from insecurity. Insecurity is why people are mean in my opinion.

Once again, I do love Seattle but I get mad when people here bash other cities. It's ok to love Seattle or love the city you live in but do you really need to bash other cities and look down on them? I have been experiencing this my entire life living here. Even my own parents have always "looked down" on other cities. My dad one time made fun of Nashville and said something like Nashville is just a bunch of country hicks. That comment made me mad. About a year ago, I was sitting in a bar here in Seattle and I happened to be wearing a Philadelphia Eagles t-shirt that a friend had gotten for me as a souvenir. This lady sitting next to said are you from Philly? I said no. She then made a comment that she thought Philadelphia was a crappy city. Her comment annoyed me but I just ignored her and decided it was not worth verbally getting into it with her about why she thought Philly was such a dump. I can handle someone thinking that Seattle is better than Philly without getting annoyed but I do get annoyed when a good city like Philly gets bashed like it's some total dump and like Seattle is so perfect. That's what happens here. People "look down on other cities" here in Seattle. As a person who was born and raised here in Seattle and who has lived most of my life here in Seattle, I sadly have been used to this my entire life. It really gets old. I guess the positive spin is that it must mean that Seattle is a pretty nice place. However, I still hate the arrogance and negative comments and negative energy that goes along with it all if you know what I mean.

I can name many different cities from all across the country and people here will just laugh and be like that place sucks, Seattle is so much better. For example, let me just name some cities real quick that I have heard Seattle people bash and "look down on". Portland, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Savannah, Charlotte, Omaha, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, St. Louis, Atlanta, Washington D.C., and I'm sure some other places that I can't remember.

The only cities here in Seattle that don't seem to get bashed much and "looked down on", are San Francisco, Boston, San Diego, Austin, and New York City. Other than those places, it seems like every other city here in Seattle gets bashed and looked down on.

So I guess my reason for this little rant of mine is I'm curious if this goes on in your city? Do you constantly experience people in your city acting like your city is so much better than everywhere else? In your city is it more about just city pride or does it seem to be more about city arrogance with people saying your city is awesome and other cities suck? So feel free to fire away with any thoughts that you might have. Hopefully this does not all just seem like some stupid pointless rant and some of it makes sense to you.
I don't know what you talking about? I never see Seattle people bashing Chicago, Miami, Denver, DC, and especially Portland! Never! The sunbelt cities generally receive alot of negativity by everyone even though they fine. I don't know what forum your looking at. The average poster doesn't bash other cities. Maybe if we are talking about sports and rivalries but I dont see the average person just project so much hate. Seattle is great, I love it here, but there is awesome cities all over america. People from different regions tend to bash what they dont know. It's easy to dismiss the south if you have never been there. I think you hanging with a negative crowd. When it comes to sports yes it gets heated but I have never just heard people bash other cities? Maybe this is something you should post of the Seattle area forum. I mean the way you stating it all you make it sound like everyone here has some Seattle elitism, which isn't true. Go to Vancouver and you will see some of that.

Sidenote: People everywhere bash other cities, I'm sure someone is calling People if Seattle a bunch of Gay Suicidal hippies, of it's not true. Same as people in New York make fun of LA. It happens everywhere. People in other countries try to denote the US calling us Fat, Stupid, power hungry. This is not just limited to Seattle or Where ever! I can't recall anything but one experience where someone bashed a city (It was Atlanta and He was force to move there after spend his entire life in California and Washington). But all cities have great things about them!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,563 times
City bashing isn't exclusive to Seattle. I think Seattle gets bashed less often than others, but it definitely on some posters' hit lists. There's only a few cities that tend to be left alone, for good or bad reasons: I don't see much about Tucson or Jacksonville. Every other city is fair game.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:02 PM

27 posts, read 30,543 times
its true in many places

Old 07-31-2013, 01:21 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Seattle probably gets left alone because it has so few problems relative to its peers. Low crime, high employment, good schools and an educated population, beautiful surroundings and geography, perhaps the most gorgeous downtown in the nation, growing population, a number of professional sports teams, quite a few transplants, insignificant hood population, pro gay and pro pot, large Asian population, etc.

Every city has drawbacks, some more significant than others. And Seattle is certainly among those others. It really is a bit of a reach to attack it like you would other cities of similar size and economy. Perhaps you can complain the people there aren't hardened, that they don't get to experience the inner city violence and ugly behavior plauging the rest of the country's cities of various sizes, that Seattle residents live in a bubble. As though that's a bad thing.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:31 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
I'm sure it's not just Seattle. I remember a comment made in the sports section of the Denver Post when the Broncos lost their first Super Bowl. It was something to the effect of, "oh well the Broncos may have lost but at least they get to come back to Colorado while the Cowboys have to return to Dallas." As a native Denverite, I always felt such comments were attributed to our inferiority complex as being viewed as a cow town. At least back in the '70's. As the Post used state on its masthead, "'Tis a privilege to live in Colorado!"

Old 07-31-2013, 02:37 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Seattle probably gets left alone because it has so few problems relative to its peers. Low crime, high employment, good schools and an educated population, beautiful surroundings and geography, perhaps the most gorgeous downtown in the nation, growing population, a number of professional sports teams, quite a few transplants, insignificant hood population, pro gay and pro pot, large Asian population, etc.
What are you considering its peers, because last I checked Portland, Denver, Austin, and Minneapolis all have those things. Or if they're missing one or two they make up for them with other things Seattle doesn't have.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
I'm sure there is someone in Philly or Nashville dissing Seattle right now. every city has those type of people.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,911 times
I've lived all over the US and I've experienced the same "bashing" talk that you are speaking of almost everywhere. When I lived in Portland, Or the citizens there seemed very arrogant about their city. The same happened when I lived in Chicago. The more I've moved around and the older I've gotten the less I care about what the cool place is or what's hip and what's not. People like what they like and everyone has a right to their own opinion. Most if not all of these outlooks are opinions and have no definitive answer that is absolute. Put them all is one room and they will agree that the sum of seven and three is ten. Then mention politics or religion and they all start fighting .

Old 07-31-2013, 03:38 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
What are you considering its peers, because last I checked Portland, Denver, Austin, and Minneapolis all have those things. Or if they're missing one or two they make up for them with other things Seattle doesn't have.
I'd say they're up there with Seattle. Some cultural and historical differences, but they definitely have the same kind of momentum as Seattle, which I'd still hold a notch above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.