U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 AM

6,145 posts, read 7,227,610 times

Advertisements

There seems to be thread after thread about the boring areas of the country and how there's "literally" nothing to do. So, if you like where you live, what do you do for entertainment/fun on a regular basis? By regular basis, I mean weekly, monthly, a few times a month, maybe even a couple times a year, etc.

Those of you who don't like where you live, what activities would you be doing if they were available?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 03:14 PM

12,891 posts, read 12,942,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
There seems to be thread after thread about the boring areas of the country and how there's "literally" nothing to do. So, if you like where you live, what do you do for entertainment/fun on a regular basis? By regular basis, I mean weekly, monthly, a few times a month, maybe even a couple times a year, etc.

Those of you who don't like where you live, what activities would you be doing if they were available?
In NJ, I go to the beach all year round. In the summer it's obvious why this is a great option, but in the off season the beach is even more peaceful and beautiful. Even after Labor Day there is a major change in population, and until late September the beach is still nice and the water a decent temperature. The boardwalks, bustling in the summer, are also nice to walk in the fall, winter, and spring. They're emptier and more serene, but arcades, some restaurants and bars, candy and fudge shops etc are still open so there is stuff to do.

I also frequent New York City. I like to see Broadway shows, explore Central Park and the city in general. My favorite time of the year to be in NYC is Christmas. Though it's crowded, I love the spirit of the city and the way it's decorated for the holidays. It's so cheerful and fun, I can't help but go every year at least once despite the crowds during the holidays.

I live near woods, a pond, and across the street from a river and I live in an old town with a great downtown and plenty of parkland, so walking around during any time of year is a favorite thing to do. I enjoy each season - fall's changing leaves in the parks, winter's bare trees and snow, the summer full of greenery, and the spring's colors and things blooming. It's always nice to walk around each season and check out nature which I love to do just around my town, and beyond at a nearby mountain reservation which offers great views of NYC.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
In NJ, I go to the beach all year round. In the summer it's obvious why this is a great option, but in the off season the beach is even more peaceful and beautiful. Even after Labor Day there is a major change in population, and until late September the beach is still nice and the water a decent temperature. The boardwalks, bustling in the summer, are also nice to walk in the fall, winter, and spring. They're emptier and more serene, but arcades, some restaurants and bars, candy and fudge shops etc are still open so there is stuff to do.

I also frequent New York City. I like to see Broadway shows, explore Central Park and the city in general. My favorite time of the year to be in NYC is Christmas. Though it's crowded, I love the spirit of the city and the way it's decorated for the holidays. It's so cheerful and fun, I can't help but go every year at least once despite the crowds during the holidays.

I live near woods, a pond, and across the street from a river and I live in an old town with a great downtown and plenty of parkland, so walking around during any time of year is a favorite thing to do. I enjoy each season - fall's changing leaves in the parks, winter's bare trees and snow, the summer full of greenery, and the spring's colors and things blooming. It's always nice to walk around each season and check out nature which I love to do just around my town, and beyond at a nearby mountain reservation which offers great views of NYC.

Sounds like fun! I've never had a huge desire to visit NYC (not a fan of big cities in general), but I bet it is great at Christmas.

I live in a tourist area, also, and it's always nicer to go out and explore when the bulk of the tourists (and right now, motorcyclists) are gone. I love the change of seasons, fall has always been my favorite season.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 AM

444 posts, read 527,420 times
Beaches, cookouts, sporting events, swimming. Then again I can do that pretty much year 'round down here.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:38 AM

24,649 posts, read 25,207,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
So, if you like where you live, what do you do for entertainment/fun on a regular basis? By regular basis, I mean weekly, monthly, a few times a month, maybe even a couple times a year, etc.
I live in Maryland just north of Washington, D.C. Lately, I've been dining at different non-chain ethnic restaurants. There are quite a lot of those in this area. Whenever relatives visit from outside the area, the natural thing for me to do is take them to D.C. to see all the sites - the White House, the Capitol Building, all the monuments and memorials, Smithsonian museums, etc.

I spend a lot of time with my wife and children - taking them to nearby parks, lakes, carousels, miniature trains, shopping malls, concerts, games, barbecue, fireworks, the National Harbor, the Shenandoah mountains in Virginia, Baltimore Inner Harbor, Annapolis, Hershey Park in Pennsylvania, Deep Creek Lake in western Maryland... I go to the beach usually once a year - Ocean City, Maryland or Reheboth in Delaware, Virginia Beach, sometimes Ocean City, New Jersey or Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.

I sometimes go to West Virginia to get lost in the wilderness or hang with the locals in some small town just for the heck of it. I know a lot of people in North Jersey, so I go there at least a few times a year and of course visit New York City.

This is just a small portion of what I do and keep busy with on a regular basis.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 AM

3,188 posts, read 4,098,582 times
I live in coastal MD and regularly go fishing. In the fall I start deer hunting and going to Hatteras, NC surf fishing. I also like to take drives out to western MD on down to NC to see the color changes in the mountains. Weekends I spend driving around Delmarva, walking on OC's boardwalk or driving out on the beach in Assateque or Chincoteque. Every now and then it's nice to go bar hopping with my friends even though I don't drink any more. In season I also like to get together with friends and go pick crabs regularly. Though I've crewed on boats for years I need a little skiff or jon boat to start hitting the coastal bays and rivers for fishing and waterfowl hunting.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 AM

18,815 posts, read 29,759,692 times
I pretty much just stay at home, and enjoy the good weather. I hated the weather in WA state, where I lived for about 18 years. As long as I don't have to scrape a windshield, thaw out a door lock, etc., I'm a happy camper on my weekly trips to the Grocery Outlet or the fresh vegetable market. Otherwise, my entertainment is on Netflix, a daily walk, and that's the extent of my excitement :-)

Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 AM

97 posts, read 150,436 times
Sit on my porch during the summer time. Oh, and be outside during the summertime in general.

Also, I love being in the water. Any kind of water sport. All Arizona has is pools that wouldn't allow me to kayak and so forth. I guess the Colorado River can count but it's not very close by where I'm at.

Be in the woods and camp, hike, snow, ski, etc. Flagstaff has these but once again, not too close by to where I'm at. Also, our mountains are the ugly duckling compared to Colorado so it's something else I think about too.

Arizona has some great outdoor activities for off-roading (best state for this imo), dirt-bike riding, but unfortunately this isn't my cup of tea.

Oh, and even the nightlife here sucks. Just a more lively vibe would be nice.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy feet View Post
Sit on my porch during the summer time. Oh, and be outside during the summertime in general.

Also, I love being in the water. Any kind of water sport. All Arizona has is pools that wouldn't allow me to kayak and so forth. I guess the Colorado River can count but it's not very close by where I'm at.

Be in the woods and camp, hike, snow, ski, etc. Flagstaff has these but once again, not too close by to where I'm at. Also, our mountains are the ugly duckling compared to Colorado so it's something else I think about too.

Arizona has some great outdoor activities for off-roading (best state for this imo), dirt-bike riding, but unfortunately this isn't my cup of tea.

Oh, and even the nightlife here sucks. Just a more lively vibe would be nice.
That's a bummer. I kayaked for the first time this summer and I love it. Calm lakes are my speed right now. I don't anticipate ever attempting whitewater. LOL

Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 AM

5,889 posts, read 12,312,918 times
My Daily life revolves around having the beach is less than a mile away, the harbor less than 1/2 mile. I row. I sail, I kayak. I cycle. I spend a lot of time with the dog hiking the nature preserve that is less than 1/4 mile from home. We have very good restaurants and clubs within walking distance and nearby.

We visit Catalina island about every other month.

Mountains are about an hour away, the desert about two. Lots of good hiking and camping
Disney season passes for when we have "nothing to do" and want to do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.