U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2007, 11:45 AM
 
2,596 posts, read 5,502,753 times
Reputation: 801

Advertisements

San Antonio fleet 12 ships.

USS San Antonio Home Page

Latest News (broken link)


USS San Antonio (LPD 17)

Mission

USS San Antonio, currently under construction at Northrop Grumman Ship Systems' shipyard in Ingalls Shipyard in Pascagoula, Ms., is the first amphibious transport dock of the twelve-ship San Antonio class.
San Antonio will be used to transport and land Marines, their equipment and supplies by embarked air cushion or conventional landing craft or Expeditionary Fighting Vehicles, augmented by helicopters or vertical take off and landing aircraft.
She will support amphibious assault, special ops, or expeditionary warfare missions through the first half of the 21st Century.
Name

Secretary of the Navy John H. Dalton named the lead ship of the LPD 17 class San Antonio in 1996. The ship is named in honor of the City of San Antonio, Texas.
USS San Antonio will be the most high-tech, advanced amphibious ship ever built. It is an honor for me to name such an important new combat ship after San Antonio, site of the battle of the Alamo. It is also important that we keep alive the tradition of naming ships after American cities,” said the Secretary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2007, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 71,949,763 times
Reputation: 10245
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Corvallis, OR
146 posts, read 767,625 times
Reputation: 68
Somehow I knew, before even clicking on this thread, that there would be a USS San Antonio.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 71,949,763 times
Reputation: 10245
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOR View Post
Somehow I knew, before even clicking on this thread, that there would be a USS San Antonio.
Youre a mind-reader like me? Cool!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Chicago
395 posts, read 1,270,289 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio fleet 12 ships.

USS San Antonio Home Page

Latest News (broken link)


USS San Antonio (LPD 17)

Mission

USS San Antonio, currently under construction at Northrop Grumman Ship Systems' shipyard in Ingalls Shipyard in Pascagoula, Ms., is the first amphibious transport dock of the twelve-ship San Antonio class.
San Antonio will be used to transport and land Marines, their equipment and supplies by embarked air cushion or conventional landing craft or Expeditionary Fighting Vehicles, augmented by helicopters or vertical take off and landing aircraft.
She will support amphibious assault, special ops, or expeditionary warfare missions through the first half of the 21st Century.
Name

Secretary of the Navy John H. Dalton named the lead ship of the LPD 17 class San Antonio in 1996. The ship is named in honor of the City of San Antonio, Texas.
USS San Antonio will be the most high-tech, advanced amphibious ship ever built. It is an honor for me to name such an important new combat ship after San Antonio, site of the battle of the Alamo. It is also important that we keep alive the tradition of naming ships after American cities,” said the Secretary.
WOW. you won't give up on san antonio. I admire your loyalty!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 02:02 PM
 
2,596 posts, read 5,502,753 times
Reputation: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
WOW. you won't give up on san antonio. I admire your loyalty!!!
Thanks, San Antonio needs a lil respect.Monumnetal thinks everything is about Seattle, and other places can't be important.I guess we all have civic pride.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, CA
288 posts, read 1,269,444 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Thanks, San Antonio needs a lil respect.Monumnetal thinks everything is about Seattle, and other places can't be important.I guess we all have civic pride.
LOL..........I don't start threads pertaining to Seattle now do I?

I only defend my city, when I hear something that sounds very misinformed or incorrect...like - San Antonio has more importance in the U.S. and on a global scale than Seattle. I'm actually really surprised how much people understate certain cities "not just Seattle" and overstate where they are from.

Understand cities are on different levels in terms of influence ie: tiers.

Just like San Antonio doesn't go in a tier with Seattle,
Seattle doesn't go in a tier with New York or Los Angeles. It's common sense people.

You've never once heard me say, Seattle is the only important city in the U.S........you are just seeing how much I have to correct the misinformed.

Go San Antonio
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Chicago
395 posts, read 1,270,289 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
Understand cities are on different levels in terms of influence ie: tiers.

Just like San Antonio doesn't go in a tier with Seattle,
Seattle doesn't go in a tier with New York or Los Angeles. It's common sense people.
Thus the start of the thread, US City Tiers. haha.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,711 posts, read 17,198,640 times
Reputation: 6089
Hey there are a few die-hard civic priders in every bunch, but how much harm do they do? Think of how much we've learned about wonderful exotic places such as Scranton, PA in this forum. Maybe we'll learn just as much about San Antonio, TX.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,903 posts, read 7,469,425 times
Reputation: 468
No USS Binghamton? Lowell? Scranton? awww...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top