Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:56 AM

49 posts, read 118,897 times

Advertisements

No im not the one person that want another crack epidemic to happen it just seem like we are kinda vunerable to have another one. With drug use going up and what not which I doubt we will ,but what will have to happen for another one to happen? I know it just seem like it can't happen its a question and this is a forum for questions on cities right?

I know its pretty slim like how you think it will effect you ,and the economy if another one happens? How will you react? What parts you think it will hit the most and become the most dangerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
We are having one. People die everyday because of prescription drugs.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Crystal meth over the last 15 years was basically a suburban/rural version of the crack epidemic. Though there was a little less violence involved in the distribution of it, since there wasn't the intense competition for dense urban street corners and territories in central cities, but probably more emphasis on the health effects of the drug.

Misused pharmaceutical drugs will continue to be a big issue. Especially since they don't have to be illegally manufactured or smuggled in from South America--they're legally in stock in every pharmacy in the country--people just have to find a way to obtain them either through prescriptions or someone with access to large quantities.

Last edited by Deezus; 08-09-2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 12:04 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,680 times
It could possibly bring a halt to gentrification that's happening in cities across the us as inner city communities get ravaged. Also, with so many people getting priced out of cities by gentrification, we could see it happening in those suburbs where people are displaced to.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:30 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
We are having one. People die everyday because of prescription drugs.
Exactly, thank you!

As the War on "Drugs" rages on, legalized drugs are killing more people now than any illegal drug has ever done at any point in history, including the crack epidemic. I suppose because currently, corporations are raking in the profits from addiction, the current and real drug problem is marginalized.

"Drug death rates are currently more than twice what they were during the peak years of crack cocaine mortality in the early 1990s, and four to five times higher than the rates during the year of heroin mortality peak in 1975"

Overdose Death Rate Surges, Legal Drugs Are Mostly to Blame | Drugs | AlterNet

"The United States has a passion for pills, being the world's biggest users of psychotropic drugs, consuming 60 per cent of them. And pharmaceutical firms are keen to keep cashing in on the multibillion-dollar market, even if it costs people's health.

Last year, prescription drug abuse became the number one cause of accidental death, with more than 30,000 Americans overdosing

The number of children consuming antipsychotic medication has doubled in the past decade. Millions of American adolescents are taking drugs like Adderall, doled out by doctors to treat hyperactivity."

Pharmageddon: America

Old 08-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Exactly, thank you!

As the War on "Drugs" rages on, legalized drugs are killing more people now than any illegal drug has ever done, including the crack epidemic. I suppose because currently, corporations are raking in the profit of addiction, the current and real drug problem is marganalized.

"Drug death rates are currently more than twice what they were during the peak years of crack cocaine mortality in the early 1990s, and four to five times higher than the rates during the year of heroin mortality peak in 1975"

Overdose Death Rate Surges, Legal Drugs Are Mostly to Blame | Drugs | AlterNet

"The United States has a passion for pills, being the world's biggest users of psychotropic drugs, consuming 60 per cent of them. And pharmaceutical firms are keen to keep cashing in on the multibillion-dollar market, even if it costs people's health.

Last year, prescription drug abuse became the number one cause of accidental death, with more than 30,000 Americans overdosing

The number of children consuming antipsychotic medication has doubled in the past decade. Millions of American adolescents are taking drugs like Adderall, doled out by doctors to treat hyperactivity."

Pharmageddon: America
The narcotic prescription drugs people are abusing like Oxycontin are often very dangerous when mixed with alcohol. People pop them like candy and go out drinking or mix too many for a "Heath Ledger special". I've heard of a couple friends of friends who just choked on their vomit and died in their sleep from this sort of abuse.

Actually cocaine itself in comparison isn't as dangerous if you don't have a weak heart to start with. Which was interesting because when I was in college early last decade, I knew people who would never consider taking cocaine or stimulant hard drugs(or hallucinogens), yet they thought it was perfectly fine to take pharmaceutical drugs and have a few drinks...

Old 08-09-2013, 12:38 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Crystal meth over the last 15 years was basically a suburban/rural version of the crack epidemic. Though there was a little less violence involved in the distribution of it, since there wasn't the intense competition for dense urban street corners and territories in central cities, but probably more emphasis on the health effects of the drug.

Misused pharmaceutical drugs will continue to be a big issue. Especially since they don't have to be illegally manufactured or smuggled in from South America--they're legally in stock in every pharmacy in the country--people just have to find a way to obtain them either through prescriptions or someone with access to large quantities.
You nailed it. Meth is still a major problem in a lot of wilderness areas, like Upper Michigan and rural OR/CA. Because heroin is more easily attainable in a pure form (sniffing, don't have to carry a kit or worry about needles anymore), it's also a big rural problem. Rural drug problems tend to be underreported, so few seem to know about what's going on. That said, the crack epidemic was something we'll likely never see again in our lifetimes - just look at the metro crime stats from its peak!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:50 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The narcotic prescription drugs people are abusing like Oxycontin are often very dangerous when mixed with alcohol. People pop them like candy and go out drinking or mix too many for a "Heath Ledger special". I've known a couple friends of friends who just choked on their vomit and died in their sleep.

Actually cocaine itself in comparison isn't as dangerous if you don't have a weak heart to start with. Which was interesting because when I was in college early last decade, I knew people who would never consider taking cocaine or stimulant hard drugs(or hallucinogens), yet they thought it was perfectly fine to take pharmaceutical drugs and have a few drinks...
A high school friend of mine is actually serving a few years in prison, as his girlfriend's cousin overdosed in his house and he was found to have supplied the prescription drug. I believe her death was due to the alcohol/prescription mixture, as you said is often the case.

People are not aware of the potential dangers of these legal substances. It is beyond hyprocritical and even insane to outlaw a natural plant yet advertise and promote a life of multiple man-made drug prescriptions. Alcohol is more dangerous than cannabis. Presciption drugs are definitely more dangerous than cannabis yet children are not taught this. Cocaine is probably safer than many of these synthetic heroin pills as well although it's crazy that cocaine is classified as less dangerous than cannabis.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:55 PM

49 posts, read 118,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
A high school friend of mine is actually serving a few years in prison, as his girlfriend's cousin overdosed in his house and he was found to have supplied the prescription drug. I believe her death was due to the alcohol/prescription mixture, as you said is often the case.

People are not aware of the potential dangers of these legal substances. It is beyond hyprocritical and even insane to outlaw a natural plant yet advertise and promote a life of multiple man-made drug prescriptions. Alcohol is more dangerous than cannabis. Presciption drugs are definitely more dangerous than cannabis yet children are not taught this. Cocaine is probably safer than many of these synthetic heroin pills as well although it's crazy that cocaine is classified as less dangerous than cannabis IMO.
Wow cocaine is considered less dangerous then weed WTF thats crazy but yeah. I kinda understand we are going through somewhat of a drug epidemic it just not nation wide O.o

Old 08-09-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
You nailed it. Meth is still a major problem in a lot of wilderness areas, like Upper Michigan and rural OR/CA. Because heroin is more easily attainable in a pure form (sniffing, don't have to carry a kit or worry about needles anymore), it's also a big rural problem. Rural drug problems tend to be underreported, so few seem to know about what's going on. That said, the crack epidemic was something we'll likely never see again in our lifetimes - just look at the metro crime stats from its peak!
The crack epidemic just sort of hit right at the nadir of American inner cities... All that white flight and disinvestment from urban cores in the 60s and 70s just left a bad set-up for crack cocaine. I can remember going to cities as a kid in the 80s--Washington DC, San Francisco and Oakland, and so on--and there were visibly people high on crack once you got to the edge of some neighborhoods. Much different feel in central cities in those days and much more fear about crime.

The poverty and drug problems in rural areas is easier to ignore in some ways. The crack wars were taking place just some blocks to the north of the edge of the Upper East Side of New York in the 80s. No one these days in San Francisco on the other hand worries about what's going on in Oroville, California. We get local news stories from the suburbs of Portland up in Clark County, Washington though where meth-heads will try to steal a jungle gym from a playground for scrap metal and people just roll their eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.