Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 07:09 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Interstates sorely needed:

* I-49 needs to be completed, a lot of it is completed in LA and MO but AR is dragging their feet. In LA they need to complete the southern portion which will link Lafayette with New Orleans and bypass Baton Rouge. The chokepoint of I-10 is in Baton Rouge, that would greatly alleviate all traffic bound for New Orleans from points west of Lafayette.

* I-27 needs to connect down to I-20. It would greatly facilitate Lubbock and Amarillo's economies.

* I-69 needs to be finished. This is a long term project that will take years.

* I-95 needs to be finished in NJ/PA area. There still is a gap. Can't even believe this.

* I agree about connecting San Jose to Santa Cruz with an interstate. I don't agree with I-3 though. It should simply be an extension of I-880.

* I-45 needs to be extended north along 75 in Dallas. It's already interstate grade and it should be extended up to at least the OK border or perhaps north to Tulsa.

Useless interstates:

I-10 in New Orleans from US 90 (to be I-49) to I-610 needs to be torn down and I-610 re-designated as I-10. It would be a project similar to the Embarcadero freeway removal in San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 04:56 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
* I-69 needs to be finished. This is a long term project that will take years.

* I-95 needs to be finished in NJ/PA area. There still is a gap. Can't even believe this.
I think you meant decades for I-69. If that is finished 50 years from now, I would be shocked!

PA is currently working on connecting I-95 to I-276 so the final "gap" will be finished in maybe 5-10 years.

Pennsylvania Turnpike/Interstate 95 Interchange Project

Old 01-12-2018, 06:55 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I-89, just the portion N of Burlington VT to the Canadian border. (same story, because get out of your cars Vermonters!).
Disagree, It's only 50 miles from Burlington to the border on I-89, it connects St. Albans to the rest of the state, and it's the way to Montreal for most New Englanders. I've waited up to 45 minutes to cross the border at Highgate, so clearly people are using it. Quebec is also working to connect the six mile gap between Autoroute 35 and the border as they've added freeway segments over recent years to do so. Why increase the drive time to Montreal?

Old 01-12-2018, 04:07 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Interstates sorely needed:

I-10 in New Orleans from US 90 (to be I-49) to I-610 needs to be torn down and I-610 re-designated as I-10. It would be a project similar to the Embarcadero freeway removal in San Francisco.
</p>I've always thought of I-12 as a waste of a good interstate number. That Should be I-10 and a three digit interstate loop down to NOLA. Or label it I-10 N and 1-10 S like I-35 is split into E and W for Dallas and Fort Worth.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 PM

5,484 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Despite being called a 'parkway', the road mentioned below is essentially an expressway/highway in practice. The southernmost 2 miles of its 18.42 are already scheduled for removal...although, ironically, that is likely its most used segment, as it is the most convenient route to downtown Niagara Falls NY from points south. The northernmost half or so (from Lewiston to Lake Ontario) absolutely feels like a road to nowhere and seems pretty needless, although I'm sure there are some people who use it daily. I've been on it many times with no cars in sight in either direction...and this isn't exactly some interstate running through a desert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_Scenic_Parkway

Old 01-12-2018, 11:25 PM

5,484 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I-990 near Buffalo (is halfway to Lockport a destination worthy of the highest-numbered interstate in the land?)
Lol, classic. And to think, to this day some people want to extend the 990 to...the town of Lockport, at a newly created junction with Rte. 93, maybe? Because the northernmost few miles of 55 MPH Millersport Hwy. (NY Rte 263) just isn't enough for the good people of Lockport, population ~40k if I'm so generous as to combine the populations of city and town both into one figure. Given my post directly above and this one-liner, one might rightly conclude that Niagara County NY is a bit overexpresswayed considering its sparse population. Population decline will do that to a place.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:57 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
In no particular order:
1) An interstate highway between DFW and St. Louis (preferably a completely new freeway but would settle for US 69 or 67 being upgraded to interstate standards)
2) Interstate 70 being continued to Reno/Lake Tahoe or possibly the San Francisco Bay Area
3) An interstate highway between DFW and Denver
4) An interstate highway between St. Louis and Twin Cities
5) An interstate highway between Atlanta and Memphis via Huntsville
6) An interstate highway between Houston and Austin with the option of it continuing to due west to meet up with I-10.
7) an extension of Florida's Turnpike northwest towards Tallahassee to create a more direct between the panhandle and the rest of Florida
Note: Many of those freeways are gradually being updated by state DOTs that may make the designation or totally new construction of interstate highways unnecessary.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:18 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
In no particular order:
1) An interstate highway between DFW and St. Louis (preferably a completely new freeway but would settle for US 69 or 67 being upgraded to interstate standards)
2) Interstate 70 being continued to Reno/Lake Tahoe or possibly the San Francisco Bay Area
3) An interstate highway between DFW and Denver
4) An interstate highway between St. Louis and Twin Cities
5) An interstate highway between Atlanta and Memphis via Huntsville
6) An interstate highway between Houston and Austin with the option of it continuing to due west to meet up with I-10.
7) an extension of Florida's Turnpike northwest towards Tallahassee to create a more direct between the panhandle and the rest of Florida
Note: Many of those freeways are gradually being updated by state DOTs that may make the designation or totally new construction of interstate highways unnecessary.
As for #1, an upgrade or extension of I-45 up US 75 and 69 would accomplish that if it ties in with I-44. An interstate link between Little Rock and St. Louis would do the same. no need for a completely new interstate beyond that, meaning there is no need for a parallel intestate to I-30 from Dallas to Little Rock.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:30 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
The most over built underutilized interstate in N.Y. is i88 from binghamton near the PA border to Albany/Schenectady.

Basically it was only built with funds so a state senator could drive from his home in Binghamton NY to the capitol in Albany easily and as quickly as possible by direct route.

You can travel for miles on that road and not see another car.

Some people get roads, and have them named for them!

Old 01-16-2018, 07:53 AM

1,235 posts, read 944,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
The most over built underutilized interstate in N.Y. is i88 from binghamton near the PA border to Albany/Schenectady.

Basically it was only built with funds so a state senator could drive from his home in Binghamton NY to the capitol in Albany easily and as quickly as possible by direct route.

You can travel for miles on that road and not see another car.

Some people get roads, and have them named for them!

While Interstate 88 in New York is easily forgettable, I don't think an Interstate from Albany to south-central NY state is a bad idea, but I did not know the part that I bolded. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.