Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 05:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
They need a national underground highway with minimal stops.
Or they could open up the secret government tunnels to the public.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
They need a national underground highway with minimal stops.
Some people believe that consortia of investors are itching to build underground toll roads but no State will grant them a franchise.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

A mile back from the border, at Blaine, Washington. Where is all that I-5 traffic you were talking about clogging these interstate lanes?
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Blain...,318.47,,0,3.5
Don't try to use a random GoogleMaps shot(of which looks like an early fall morning) to have any idea of what the cross-border traffic is like. You can find GoogleMaps shots of I-5 in San Ysidro leading to Tijuana with little traffic--and that's the busiest crossing in the country and usually a long wait to get back in.

Total traffic between US to Canada on the BC-Washington border has been up lately--and it's actually higher than it was in the late 90s. Even if US visitors to BC has dropped--Canadians going south(many for weekly shopping trips) have increased. The whole Blaine, Washington area outlet malls and large big box stores in Bellingham get huge amounts of Canadian shoppers and provide a boost to the economy. It doesn't matter if it's more so Canadians crossing the border these days--you still need an interstate highway right up to the border to handle the amount of cars.

I actually travel to BC a few times a year--so a random Googelmaps shot means little when I know what the waits are like... I was just in Vancouver last weekend. When I was returning to the US last Monday--early in the evening--the wait time was already close to 90 minutes at the main I-5 crossing and over 60 minutes at the alternate crossing just to the east. The crossing at Aldergrove 30 minutes to the east was fine going back to the US, but there was a 45 minute wait coming back from Canada on the other side. This is a rural area miles from the interstate. The other crossings(not just I-5 had long waits as well).

Right now just looking at the wait time, it's 80 minutes southbound at Peace Arch and 50 minutes at the alternate crossing to the east and 40 minutes at Aldergrove. This isn't indicative of the theory that no one is using the border crossings.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:54 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,378 times
Quote:
Drive I-75 between Soo and Mackinac, and come back and report. How many lanes wide does a road have to be, to accommodate traffic that all stops for 10 or 20 or 30 minutes? If it were only a two lane road, everyone would just stop and wait in a different place, but still get form A to B in the same time.

How many cars actually cross the border per minute? You only need enough traffic lanes to accommodate that many cars per minute, which is probably one traffic lane. For international trading and commerce, there is probably only a few trucks an hour going through. How many lanes do they need?
I think the obvious reason is that the US near the Canadian border is really rural. Only Detroit and Buffalo are urban at all.

I grew up right on I-89 near the border. It's the major route between Boston and Montreal. Deuhrrr, there aren't traffic backups in Franklin County Vermont, population 47,000; therefore there's no reason to have a 4-lane divided highway from Boston to Montreal.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:08 PM

462 posts, read 719,997 times
Any east-west route through Huntsville, AL would be nice, but preferably one to Atlanta. I also think they should do a N-S spur off of I-65. I guess Decatur seemed like the bigger city back when interstates were designed, and I-65 now hugs a city about a third the size of the second largest metro in the state. One thing that makes useful routes hard is Redstone Arsenal. The city practically wraps around the military base.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM

462 posts, read 719,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Some people believe that consortia of investors are itching to build underground toll roads but no State will grant them a franchise.
Some people believe there are already underground routes that are kept under wraps.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 PM

13 posts, read 21,451 times
Right now Route 48 in WV goes pretty much from Nowhere to Noplace. I have heard its going to take around 20 years to complete this road to I-81 near Strasburg VA. I have no idea where it's Western end will be or when it Might get done!! There doesn,t seem to have been much communication between WVA and VA officials about this road.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:36 PM

213 posts, read 322,718 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be able to get to Texarkana any faster or easier on I-69 than I do on US-59. It's 70-75 mph all the way. If it doesn't translate into better travel conditions, why spend the money to build a hundred new overpasses?

I-69 is dead, it will never exist, and it is not needed.
I-69 is dead. LOL. Then why is it considered one of the top priority freeways. I predict the whole thing will be completed by 2030.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:20 PM

46 posts, read 88,437 times
Probably Interstate 99. Useless. Could just use US 220.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 PM

143 posts, read 265,506 times
As much as I love the Texas panhandle, I-27 between Lubbock and Amarillo is just weird. If it connected down to I-20 or up to I-70 it would make sense, otherwise it might as well just be a 4 lane US highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.