Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:17 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the DC area. I love DC, I think it's a beautiful city with a diverse population. But I still feel like it's struggling to build its own identity. There are a lot of different cultures found in it (which is what makes it great for so-called ethnic food), but they don't really build an identifiable overarching culture. I ascribe this to the fact that, until recently, it's been a very transient city. People would go to DC to build their careers and then move somewhere else, or people would come to DC as the capstone of their careers in whatever defense contractor/law firm/government agency they were a part of. I've also noticed this in Charlotte (where I'm currently at)... but in this case it's more due to the fact that the city experienced huge growth in the past couple decades and brought a lot of people from other areas in.

When I think of cities with strong local cultures, I often think of places like NYC, New Orleans, Atlanta, San Francisco, Baltimore, etc. Places where the population has a fair amount of people who grew up there, and whose parents grew up there (or nearby), etc.

What bigger cities (let's say 200,000+) do you think have strong local culture like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 10:29 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I grew up in the DC area. I love DC, I think it's a beautiful city with a diverse population. But I still feel like it's struggling to build its own identity. There are a lot of different cultures found in it (which is what makes it great for so-called ethnic food), but they don't really build an identifiable overarching culture. I ascribe this to the fact that, until recently, it's been a very transient city. People would go to DC to build their careers and then move somewhere else, or people would come to DC as the capstone of their careers in whatever defense contractor/law firm/government agency they were a part of. I've also noticed this in Charlotte (where I'm currently at)... but in this case it's more due to the fact that the city experienced huge growth in the past couple decades and brought a lot of people from other areas in.

When I think of cities with strong local cultures, I often think of places like NYC, New Orleans, Atlanta, San Francisco, Baltimore, etc. Places where the population has a fair amount of people who grew up there, and whose parents grew up there (or nearby), etc.

What bigger cities (let's say 200,000+) do you think have strong local culture like that?
Houston, and I would say DC has a strong local culture as far as the urban community.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,457 times
Pittsburgh, St Louis, Savannah, Austin.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:41 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Anchorage, Spokane, Portland, Boise, Albuquerque, El Paso, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Wichita, Lincoln, Memphis, Shreveport, Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Montgomery, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:49 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Philadelphia, Boston, NYC, Baltimore, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Portland, Austin, Chicago, San Francisco, Houston, Atlanta.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:58 AM

304 posts, read 472,278 times
While I live in a much smaller community, it has a culture and it has changed over the years.The big event of the year was Old Fort days. One year I was the chairman and spent every spare moment in June, July and August planning for the Labor day event. There were food vendors, entertainers and rides to arrange for, plus news releases to be prepared. In the end, we had to find a suitable MC to communicate to the crowd. I convinced the committee to hire a paid secretary to follow up on all the details. We had to get police security because lots of money would be on the grounds. As the day went on a policeman would carry bags of money and put them in the trunk of his police car. Afterward several of us assembled at the police headquarters and counted out, twenty two thousand to be spent on community projects.
But as my crowd got older, the younger set did not seem to understand how much work and planning it takes to put on an event.
Even though the city is bigger, that and other events have tapered off to a fraction of what they once were.
My point is; it takes time, energy and cooperation to make things happen and create a sense of community.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:12 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
I can see this thread (and it's already happening) with a lot of posters just throwing names of any number of cities out there, and that basically just says any city.

How about palpable examples ? You know like..

Youtube videos
Photos
Articles
Food and Festivals
Original thought (like the post above ^)
etc..

Old 08-10-2013, 11:28 AM

16 posts, read 19,182 times
I also have to go with Philadelphia. Unique (and tasty) food culture. If you're into sports, also an unique fan culture-though it's not everybody's taste.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:50 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post

Cities like DC or LA are so new that they don't really have a culture. NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, etc. have immigrant neighborhoods that go back over 100 years. It's hard to establish that these days.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Fort Worth!

New Orleans!

San Antonio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.