Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 07:16 PM

113 posts, read 164,196 times

Advertisements

Today I found out a job I had accepted overseas fell through. I'm still applying to other overseas jobs, but I may end up having to stay stateside, and so I need a new place to go. I've been living in Austin TX the past several years, and I'm over the long swealtering summers and the traffic.

Wants
-3/4 Seasons
-Within an hour of a large city
-Close to water
-Low risk of natural disasters (i think this might be hard to find)
-Liberal state (open to liberal city in conservative state)
-Good arts/theatre/book culture
-Walkable neighborhoods, at least a good city bus system
-Low traffic

I love the look of places like Ithaca and Burlington, but they're so far from everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 07:39 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times
Bellingham, WA could be a good fit.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:29 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Asheville
Eugene
Ann Arbor

Possibilities are endless

Old 09-19-2023, 08:32 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Ithaca came to mind right away. It is only an hour from Syracuse, if that. While Syracuse isn’t huge, it is the 5th biggest city in NY State and a top 100 metro area in terms of population. On a side note, if open to Syracuse, the Eastwood neighborhood has a couple of bookstores, a couple of cafes, a theater with some events and solid bus coverage on James Street(it’s Main Street), among other things: https://www.eastwoodneighbor.com/
Westcott east of Syracuse University also has a somewhat crunchy/artsy feel to it: https://westcottsyr.com/
There’s also Downtown: https://downtownsyracuse.com/
Good sources for information about the city/area Art scene: https://www.syracusearts.net/default.cfm
https://cnyarts.org/

Rochester which is a metro of over 1 million people is about an hour and a half. So, it isn’t too far either and if interested, it’s SE Quadrant, SouthWedge, Monroe Village, Park Avenue and NOTA(Neighborhood of the Arts) in particular, would be a good fit.

Both of these NY areas have a low natural disaster risk as well.

Burlington is about an hour and a half from Montreal. So, that may be something to consider.

I would also look into Ann Arbor and East Lansing MI(Old Town and REO Town in Lansing, with the Michigan Avenue corridor puts you in between both Downtown Lansing & Downtown East Lansing). Detroit isn’t too far far from either area as well.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:48 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Large college towns would work.

Madison, Ann Arbor, Eugene come to mind.

Old 09-20-2023, 07:13 AM

27,185 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresc21 View Post
Today I found out a job I had accepted overseas fell through. I'm still applying to other overseas jobs, but I may end up having to stay stateside, and so I need a new place to go. I've been living in Austin TX the past several years, and I'm over the long swealtering summers and the traffic.

Wants
-3/4 Seasons
-Within an hour of a large city
-Close to water
-Low risk of natural disasters (i think this might be hard to find)
-Liberal state (open to liberal city in conservative state)
-Good arts/theatre/book culture
-Walkable neighborhoods, at least a good city bus system
-Low traffic

I love the look of places like Ithaca and Burlington, but they're so far from everything.
Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC

4 seasons, 30 minutes from Raleigh/15 minutes from Durham, close to Jordan Lake and the Eno River, liberal and surrounded by other liberal areas, diverse cultural scene, walkable generally with an excellent free-fare bus system, minus traffic issues.

Old 09-20-2023, 07:26 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Don’t know if Providence would be too big for you, but it checks a lot of the boxes!

Old 09-20-2023, 08:30 AM

10,057 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Northern NJ--it's ideal for what you need.

Try New Brunswick or Morristown. Both are under 45 min to NYC by train. Progressive university towns.

Or Princeton in NJ, close to Philly, and NYC.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:53 AM

350 posts, read 196,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Northern NJ--it's ideal for what you need.

Try New Brunswick or Morristown. Both are under 45 min to NYC by train. Progressive university towns.

Or Princeton in NJ, close to Philly, and NYC.
Having commuted to the AT&T highrise building Exit 9 I was like "WHY?" but then I remembered that was EAST Brunswick.

Old 09-20-2023, 12:29 PM

472 posts, read 346,532 times
NOLA meets a lot of your criterion, but natural disasters... Maybe Oxford, MS; Chattanooga, TN; Asheville, NC; NW Arkansas? They meet a lot of your checklist but no public transport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.