Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 03:30 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,602 times

Advertisements

According to Forbes good ole' Des Moines Iowa is #1 place for Business and Careers:

Quote:
“Iowa’s capital city has a strong foothold in finance and insurance with the highest concentration of financial services employment in the country, and employers are doubling down on the area,” Kurt Badenhausen wrote for Forbes. “Wells Fargo has added more than 4,000 jobs in Des Moines over the past 10 years and recently announced a new $100 million expansion in the area.

“Principal Financial, headquartered in Des Moines, is putting $250 million into an expansion of its downtown campus,” Forbes said

Des Moines Tops List Of The Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Yep. Iowa is going very well. Economically decent and an excellent quality of life in stable, liveable cities. A well-kept secret.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:48 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Despite its challenges that are a commonplace in several large cities, Chicago is still the largest Midwest city, the third largest metro area, the third largest metro economy, houses two of the best universities in the US, and is one of the most important global cities. I'd call that a stronghold.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:58 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times
Mmm hmm, all 66,000,000 of us have moved.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:16 PM

542 posts, read 1,682,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Despite its challenges that are a commonplace in several large cities, Chicago is still the largest Midwest city, the third largest metro area, the third largest metro economy, houses two of the best universities in the US, and is one of the most important global cities. I'd call that a stronghold.
I vehemently disagree. What about Chicago's crime issue, education issue, high tax issue and economic issue? And then there's the Chicago winters which have been driving people out (who are able to move) for decades.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
I vehemently disagree. What about Chicago's crime issue, education issue, high tax issue and economic issue? And then there's the Chicago winters which have been driving people out (who are able to move) for decades.
You mean crime that has been trending downwards for years? Or a total homicides that are on track to be their lowest in nearly 5 decades? Taxes and failing public education are problems that every large city struggles with and are daunting for several of the largest cities in the US to overcome, Midwestern cities or otherwise. And no matter how you slice it, Chicago is still one of the largest economies in the world, with a growing GDP.

The winters comment only cursorily warrants a "huh?". There are several large and prospering cities that have a real winter. If you really feel a need to escape it, then sure go ahead, but no one is going to change the tilt or orbit of the Earth anytime soon.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:26 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,411,370 times
Minneapolis is a real up-and-coming city. The Midwest isn't all bad.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Minneapolis is a real up-and-coming city. The Midwest isn't all bad.
Your condescending words are what we live for...these few crumbs we get of recognition. Please spare me...and the other 66 million of us. Your air of superiority doesn't flatter you.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:53 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Crime issue: it's been decreasing for a long time now. Lot's of work still left to do, but leaps and bounds from where it once was.

Education issue: Public schools are not very good, but as far as universities go, Chicago is home to two of the best in the country.

Economic issue: The economy is doing pretty well in Chicago actually.

Weather: I don't mind the cold to be honest, but the summers are a bit too hot for my tastes. Still, it's been established what Chicago's weather is. If someone doesn't like the weather here, I'd question why they came here in the first place.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Your condescending words are what we live for...these few crumbs we get of recognition. Please spare me...and the other 66 million of us. Your air of superiority doesn't flatter you.
Folks in the Sunbelt really have it out for the Midwest. I mean the cities of the Midwest and Northeast/Mid-Atlantic pretty much made this country what it is today but, who cares? Who wants to live in a place where the infrastructure has a little age to it and you have to shovel snow?

Our cities just can't compare with utopias like Phoenix or Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.