Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:05 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
See that one was particularly interesting because the most common term by far I hear in my city is "expressway" and that wasn't even an option.
I have a friend who lives in Kentucky who calls them expressways too. I had never heard that until I met her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 PM

404 posts, read 904,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm sure they understand the difference between the meanings of the words - it's simply how they PRONOUNCE the words that is in question.

You know - "to," "two," and "too" are all spelled differently, and have different meanings, but are pronounced the same. It's not like that's a crazy concept to wrap one's head around, or as if it has no precedent.
Obviously I'm talking about the pronunciations, I thought that was a given considering that is the subject of this thread :facepalm:

Each word has a distinct pronunciation. Anyone who passed the second grade should be able to sound it out and hear the differences. Merry has a completely different vowel. I can almost understand the confusion between marry and Mary, but when I use them together in the same sentence there is definitely a clear difference. "are you going to marry Mary?" You're telling me when you say that out loud to yourself that you pronounce both words identically? I don't, but that would fit as I am from Massachusetts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 PM

122 posts, read 180,981 times
Some of those maps were hilarious. Although I do have a minor quibble with a few of the sayings. Im from south florida and in spite of what the map may say, I refer to coleslaw as slaw and i address 2 or more people with the word y'all. But im also African American so my upbringing may have alot to do with it. As native blacks historically were a part of the first group of people who originally settled here before the heavy migration of people from the northeast. And, for one reason or another, many today have retained alot of the southern culture passed down from generations prior even when you consider how transient the region has become over the years. Case in point, my grandmother also says the devil is beating his wife when its raining while the sun is shining.

Some of the maps ended up educating me on new terms too. I learned what a hoagie was. That was my first time hearing the word. If it weren't for the map informing me, i honestly wouldn't have been able to tell you what the hell that was

Old 08-15-2013, 07:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
Obviously I'm talking about the pronunciations, I thought that was a given considering that is the subject of this thread :facepalm:

Each word has a distinct pronunciation. Anyone who passed the second grade should be able to sound it out and hear the differences. Merry has a completely different vowel. I can almost understand the confusion between marry and Mary, but when I use them together in the same sentence there is definitely a clear difference. "are you going to marry Mary?" You're telling me when you say that out loud to yourself that you pronounce both words identically? I don't, but that would fit as I am from Massachusetts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
You may think that each word has a different pronunciation, but that's simply because you live in an area in which they do. They aren't pronounced differently in all other areas - in some regions they are pronounced the same - and it's also considered correct pronunciation.

But don't take it from me - take it from the Merriam Webster dictionary:

mar·ry verb \ˈmer-ē, ˈma-rē\

mer·ry adjective \ˈmer-ē, ˈme-rē\

Mary noun \ˈmer-ē, ˈma-rē, ˈmā-rē\

Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinikal View Post
Some of those maps were hilarious. Although I do have a minor quibble with a few of the sayings. Im from south florida and in spite of what the map may say, I refer to coleslaw as slaw and i address 2 or more people with the word y'all. But im also African American so my upbringing may have alot to do with it. As native blacks historically were a part of the first group of people who originally settled here before the heavy migration of people from the northeast. And, for one reason or another, many today have retained alot of the southern culture passed down from generations prior even when you consider how transient the region has become over the years. Case in point, my grandmother also says the devil is beating his wife when its raining while the sun is shining.
In Miami, 40% of respondents said you could say "slaw," while 46% said you cannot. It's actually fairly close.

Quote:
Some of the maps ended up educating me on new terms too. I learned what a hoagie was. That was my first time hearing the word. If it weren't for the map informing me, i honestly wouldn't have been able to tell you what the hell that was
Whenever people ask me what a hoagie is, I always reply that it is a sub that tastes better.

The Simpsons used the word hoagie (I wonder if they have a writer from Philly). Other than that, I'm not sure where most people would be exposed to the word.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
In Miami, 40% of respondents said you could say "slaw," while 46% said you cannot. It's actually fairly close.

Whenever people ask me what a hoagie is, I always reply that it is a sub that tastes better.

The Simpsons used the word hoagie (I wonder if they have a writer from Philly). Other than that, I'm not sure where most people would be exposed to the word.
Do the Wawa's in Florida call them Hoagies?

Wawa Hoagiefest Classic Summer - YouTube

Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Do the Wawa's in Florida call them Hoagies?

Wawa Hoagiefest Classic Summer - YouTube
I think so. Hopefully Wawa can undo the damage that Subway has done.

Also, one of my favorite Simpsons quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
I wanna shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I wanna explore the world. I wanna watch TV in a different time zone. I wanna visit strange, exotic malls. I’m sick of eating hoagies! I want a grinder, a sub, a foot-long hero! I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live? Won't you, please?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
I wish there was one for "grocery", because I know certain areas pronounce it "grow-siree", and others "grow-sure-y".

Old 08-15-2013, 09:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
A hoagie is a substandard po boy.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
A hoagie is a substandard po boy.

I enjoy a good po boy or mufaleta (sp?) for that matter, though I would argue that in terms of NOLA cuisine a mufaleta (sp?) would be more similar to a hoagie, the po boy seems more similar to a grinder to me generally. This makes me think of an awesome sandwich I once had in NOLA at mothers with what they call debris, so yummy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.