Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:27 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right - and the ones I know who say "MAY-ree" also call Hawaii "ha-WY-ya!"
Interesting. My wife's grandma pronounces Hawaii like that. She's from western Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
We say Mary, Merry, and Marry the same. The context of the dialogue controls which word is used and notifies the receiver of the sender's intended meaning.
This would be confusing if Merry marries Mary.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:59 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This would be confusing if Merry marries Mary.
Probably a more likely scenario would be the following: Mary has just married; and, it would be an understatement to say that she is overjoyed, she's downright merry!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What about the pronunciation of 'orange' and 'horrible'? Or 'sure'? To me they are the main shibboleths dividing east and west.
In the Philly accent it is pronounced as "ahrange" and "hahrrible" and similarly, "Florida" is pronounced as Flahrida. I personally pronounce "sure" the same way as "shore". Being from Philly, I don't understand how most of the U.S does not pronounce marry, merry and mary all distinctively. It guess its a northeastern thing lol.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I find a few of these interesting, especially mayonnaise being 3 syllables in the NYC area, that's one I've never heard, it's always "man-aze". I've never heard "sear-up" either, it's "sih-rup". And I never say "you guys", that doesn't even sound right, it's "y'all" lol.

Also, the term "tennis shoes" always sounded ridiculous to me lol.

That's funny! Mayonnaise does have three syllables. I don't know anyone who pronounces it with just two. I say sih-rup, too.

I found it amusing that a coworker from Indiana said "tennis shoes" for sneakers, and then I was shocked to find out on CD that "sneakers" is in the minority.

I remember speaking to a lady in the Bahamas, and she said she went shopping every year in Florida and would buy her son "tennis" there because they were cheaper. From the context, I knew she meant sneakers, but she didn't even say the "shoes" part!

Old 08-21-2013, 12:18 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Tennis shoes are a specific type of sneaker...

I need to get some new Tennis Shoes for the upcoming basketball season - blah

Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
In the Philly accent it is pronounced as "ahrange" and "hahrrible" and similarly, "Florida" is pronounced as Flahrida. I personally pronounce "sure" the same way as "shore". Being from Philly, I don't understand how most of the U.S does not pronounce marry, merry and mary all distinctively. It guess its a northeastern thing lol.
Same way in North Jersey. My daughter's bf from Rochester, NY, made fun of us for that!

I'm learning that the Mary/marry/merry distinctions ARE probably northeastern. It's not just those words, though--they are pronouncing "berry" as barey and probably doing the same thing to the name Barry as well! I guess somewhere along the line the vowel distinctions got lost, just as happened with the "i" and "e" in words like pin and pen.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Are Berry, Barry, and Bury the same in other parts of the country, just curious as to me they would all be different

Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Tennis shoes are a specific type of sneaker...

I need to get some new Tennis Shoes for the upcoming basketball season - blah
Yes, you would think. People wear sneakers for a lot more than tennis.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:38 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's funny! Mayonnaise does have three syllables. I don't know anyone who pronounces it with just two. I say sih-rup, too.

I found it amusing that a coworker from Indiana said "tennis shoes" for sneakers, and then I was shocked to find out on CD that "sneakers" is in the minority.

I remember speaking to a lady in the Bahamas, and she said she went shopping every year in Florida and would buy her son "tennis" there because they were cheaper. From the context, I knew she meant sneakers, but she didn't even say the "shoes" part!
Yes, agreed. I had no idea about the "tennis shoes" haha. And Mary, merry, marry most definitely have different pronunciations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Are Berry, Barry, and Bury the same in other parts of the country, just curious as to me they would all be different
Haha, great question. The Philly "bury" is really emphasized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.