Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:41 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

You may also want to look in to Asheville, NC. Beautiful Biltmore Estates, gorgeous mountain scenery, and a hoppin' downtown full of art and music. If you go there, be sure you stay at the Haywood Hotel!
I agree regarding Asheville. It's a fun little city with great architecture, plenty of nightlife, lots of great restaurants, many shops and galleries, nice/welcoming people with a genuine appreciation for diversity and of course the stunning scenery in/around the city. Be sure to drive a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway and of course visit the Biltmore Estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:43 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Denver is loads of Fun! 16th street is awesome.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 AM

70 posts, read 76,428 times
Maximus-I'll definitely let you know if I go to Toronto. It is now one of the top three on my soon to be finalized list.

Steel -Thanks for the KC info - though it still seems weird to just disregard the smaller of the two, l get it.
I hadn't thought about Minneapolis, mainly because I figured it'd be too cool for my taste, even during Summer. Funny what you said about Uptown; Chicago's Uptown seems much the same. Based on everything you've said I think I'll add it to the list!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 AM

It's been a while since I've been to Denver, but I wouldn't mind going back. Since I'm not flying, it might be too long a commute for this trip though. Thanks for weighing in!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:28 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberDuper View Post
Hello fellow data-ists! I am a single Black female, looking to get out of the greater Chicago-land area for a few days in a couple of weeks. I tend toward the eccentric so I'd like to visit someplace that would, at the very least, be culturally diverse (i.e. not glaringly racist) with an above-average art and music scene. I was thinking about Pittsburgh until someone posted a comment here about confederate flag-covered-truck-driving-cyclist-hating yokels, so I'd rather not. A pronounced sub-culture and hot weather would also be nice. Moreover, since I'll be traveling alone, I'd like it to be accommodating to that fact as well.

I've been to quite a few places across the country and am open to many, but my current constraints are time and money. So, ideally I'd like to get the most fun for my buck. I have done some nice 3 days trips before, so I'm hoping I'll get some good ideas here. Additionally, I'd like to pool info on the best long-term options for a potential move with the above criteria, though I am more immediately seeking suggestions for this trip.

Thanks in advance!
I would suggest NYC although it is a bit on the expensive side.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Ithaca NY may be a pleasant surprise and fits a lot of what you are looking for. It is a smaller college town that is diverse, ecclectic, liberal and has a good arts scene for its size. Ithaca has an African American mayor and school superintendent, as well as having people of various backgrounds in leadership positions. So, it isn't your average small Northern city. Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

The Future of Downtown Ithaca - YouTube

Also, if you want to, you can take a trip up Route 34 to the Harriet Tubman Home in Auburn, about 40 minutes away. Harriet Tubman Home, Inc. | Home

Both of these small cities are in the Finger Lakes region, which has wineries and some natural beauty. It is located between Syracuse and Rochester.

To get there, it is a straight shot down I-90 East.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Chava and CK - New York will definitely be on my soon-to-visit list, if not this one. As for this trip, I think I'm deciding between Minneapolis, Madison and Toronto.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:27 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberDuper View Post
I hadn't thought about Minneapolis, mainly because I figured it'd be too cool for my taste, even during Summer.
Noooooo not at all, winter only happens in winter.

Have you been to Minneapolis before? I'm pretty sure you said you've been to Toronto before. Now I love Toronto and there's easily enough there for ten or fifteen visits, and also Minneapolis and Toronto are my two favorite cities in North America, but I would generally say go to the one you haven't been to yet.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Kansas City:

The Country Club Plaza is a must see. Blocks of shops, restaurants/bars, horse carriages at night, lit up beautifully at night, lots of fountains. Very pretty and walkable. Country Club Plaza | Kansas City

Up the street from the Plaza, is Westport. Lots of funky bars/restaurants.

In the very downtown part of KC is Crossroads District, more new development mixed with old.

Old City Market Welcome to the Kansas City River Market . I love going here. Flea market, hole-in-the-wall restaurants of various different nationalities/countries. Open farmer's market. The Union Station is located nearby.

Nelson-Atkins Museum. The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art | Kansas City, Missouri An easy walk from the Country Club Plaza. One of the finest art museums in the Midwest.

South of the Plaza, you can find beautiful old homes. Again, beautiful fountains along the streets and some side streets.

Last edited by smpliving; 08-22-2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 10:59 AM

Steel: Yeah, since I haven't been to Minneapolis (short of driving through), I'm thinking I'll go there, especially since the state fair is going on. Seems like it'll be fun.

iagal: I just made a friend who lived in KC for 10 years, so I'm getting some good info on the city. I'll ask him about some of the places you've mentioned. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.