Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:45 PM

21 posts, read 36,399 times

Advertisements

I know that family friendly and cheap is the dream of many parents out there but does it exist without including a boring vibe?

My wife and I have lived in many spots and loved them all but now that we are parents we have found that our old haunts are either 1. too expensive with a family or 2. inexpensive but not of the family quality we are looking for.

In other words we have found family friendly but not cheap and we have found cheap but not family friendly.

We have also found dozens of family friendly and cheap spots that would work - but they are lacking any real vibrancy.

I don't want to get into where we have looked specifically because I don't want to get bashed for not properly appreciating someone's hometown.

Do family friendly and cheap co-exist with vibrant and exciting anywhere in the U.S. or is this only a fantasy??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 01:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
What exactly does "vibrancy" mean to you? And how much is "cheap"?

And it would help to know if you are looking at big cities, smaller cities, suburbs, small towns or rural areas.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:13 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Yes, pretty much. Family friendly and expensive can be pretty good. But family friendly and cheap is pretty much the doldrums.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:40 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I'm just curious as to what constitutes 'vibrant and exciting' in a family friendly way. I usually associate those terms with people looking for more adult type activities, plays, concerts, restaurants or clubs, etc.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:27 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius J. Reilly View Post
I know that family friendly and cheap is the dream of many parents out there but does it exist without including a boring vibe?

My wife and I have lived in many spots and loved them all but now that we are parents we have found that our old haunts are either 1. too expensive with a family or 2. inexpensive but not of the family quality we are looking for.

In other words we have found family friendly but not cheap and we have found cheap but not family friendly.

We have also found dozens of family friendly and cheap spots that would work - but they are lacking any real vibrancy.

I don't want to get into where we have looked specifically because I don't want to get bashed for not properly appreciating someone's hometown.

Do family friendly and cheap co-exist with vibrant and exciting anywhere in the U.S. or is this only a fantasy??
The general rule is the more vibrant a place is, the more expensive its going to be. In addition, vibrancy can be the antithesis of family friendliness (see Denver, Portland, or Seattle). I think your best bet is to find somewhere that has a balance. The first place that jumps to mind for me is Charlotte NC. It's not the most vibrant or exciting place, but its also not the most boring. Likewise, it's not the cheapest place but its still affordable. It is a very family friendly place, but still has things to do. I think the city has a good balance and is a place you should look into.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:50 PM

270 posts, read 325,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
In addition, vibrancy can be the antithesis of family friendliness (see Denver, Portland, or Seattle).
Yes. What most people think is vibrant and exciting is usually "exciting" precisely because it is not family-friendly.

OP, you could always try a family-friendly suburb near a vibrant and exciting city.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:56 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times
The county i live in (Santa Cruz county) is very family friendly and very vibrant both culturally and environmentally.
Some of the towns in the county are absolutely ideal for a family.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,879 times
yeah lol

Old 03-07-2016, 05:50 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
yeah lol
If you're replying to my post (are you?) what's your point?

Old 03-07-2016, 05:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have lived in several family friendly places, but none were cheap. All of the cheap places I have seen were much less than friendly to families. Besides the proximity to good jobs, home prices go up when family friendly, that is, good schools, low crime, large homes with yards, nice parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.