Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:14 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
And yet, even Philly has a substantially higher cost of living than cities like Houston and Atlanta.
Like many things in life, expensive isn't always better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Well junior, to start with.....you're on a rant throwing out fragmented data which you say encompasses an entire region which most of us grown-ups know isn't the case. Most of your argument seems focused on a higher cost of living and poor living conditions in some areas which would seem to indicate you're not making a decent living, are enraged because you can't afford the nicer areas and as a result decide to torch the whole region as "unlivable" because of your experiences. I highly recommend you move out to somewhere down in the Sunbelt for one of the many $12 an hour jobs and see how your tune changes in a few years once you've grown up and had your reality check.
Well Im a liittle busy going to college and working two jobs too address this post right now but dont worry, I will soon .

Old 08-27-2013, 01:39 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
And yet, even Philly has a substantially higher cost of living than cities like Houston and Atlanta.
It's probably time to debunk the conventional wisdom that Philly is a "cheap" place to live. Philly is inexpensive for a major city on the east coast. Housing is considerably more expensive than our former home in Houston, and day-to-day expenses are also higher. We looked at cities on both coasts prior to making our move. In terms of cost of living, we found real estate prices in Philly to be roughly comparable to those in Seattle, if that offers a reference point for anyone. If someone is moving here from the sunbelt, don't think you'll find "fire sale" prices - be prepared for sticker shock.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:

To say nothing of Washington, D.C., Boston or New York City.
Philedelphia is a dump with a higher cost of living then those cities, thats not a good thing.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:27 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Seems like you didn't live in Philly long enough to actually see the city. Sure, some places are less than pristine (the ride from the airport to Center City is not something the tourism bureau would publicize). But really, a dump? I think not. University City, Chestnut Hill, Germantown, Mt. Airy, E. Oak Lane, Society Hill, among others are beautiful areas on a par architecturally and aesthetically with any neighborhood in the nation. The park system is enormous, and takes lets people take advantage of the river on a scale that few American cities can rival. To generalize an entire city based on your obviously limited exposure to it does Philly an injustice.

Over 30 years for me. You do make valid points about some of the old neighborhoods, I concede. I loved Philly in the 70's and 80's-- not so much in the 90's and 00's. Worked there professionally in the day and with a band at night. Im pretty sure I saw many aspects of Philly. This is what Im basing my opinion on. This is CD, many people will disagree with everyones opinion--mine are not meant to offend--just another opinion. I go back regularly to visit family and never get overcome with sentimentality like if I visit any of the other places I lived. Only "lemme outta here" .
Sort of an unscientific gauge for this old man

Old 08-27-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Well junior, to start with.....you're on a rant throwing out fragmented data which you say encompasses an entire region which most of us grown-ups know isn't the case. Most of your argument seems focused on a higher cost of living and poor living conditions in some areas which would seem to indicate you're not making a decent living, are enraged because you can't afford the nicer areas and as a result decide to torch the whole region as "unlivable" because of your experiences. I highly recommend you move out to somewhere down in the Sunbelt for one of the many $12 an hour jobs and see how your tune changes in a few years once you've grown up and had your reality check.
Fragmented data huh?
I work 60 hrs a week and go to school part time but I need a reality check. I have my own apartment my own car my own everything but Im not grown yet.
Im getting ready to start a business but whatever Im not grown.

It has nothing to o with what can afford and cant afford

Since yourb so much older then me then you must know what objective facts and statement are and what subjective facts and statements are.

Here are some interesting objective facts about the "wonderul northeast"

Hartford the capitol city of ct is one of the poorest cities in america.
New York citys col of is almost twice as expensive then national average.
Philedelpha is filled with murder crimes
New york, new jersey, massachusetts have the highest taxes in the nation
Connecticut is number 1.
Connecticut has no oceans, no good mountains and very poor recreational activities.

I could go on for pages why the northeast sucks.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:29 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Fragmented data huh?
I work 60 hrs a week and go to school part time but I need a reality check. I have my own apartment my own car my own everything but Im not grown yet.

Since yourb so much older then me then you must know what objective facts and statement are and what subjective facts and statements are.

Connecticut is number 1.
Connecticut has no oceans, no good mountains and very poor recreational activities.

Your post is too tiring to address (really), however one little snippet is too good to pass up. Let's just say you pull out a map, try and find Connecticut on it, then look to the right (east) and notice the area of pale blue that borders it. Can you identify it?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
Quote:
x2

Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
Quote:
Fragmented data huh?

Connecticut is number 1.

There is more to the northeast then the major cities and your right CT does suck. nothing good about that state, I too grew up there, couldnt wait to leave. but that doesnt mean the entire northeast sucks...

Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Philedelphia is a dump with a higher cost of living then those cities, thats not a good thing.
Except that neighborhoods where cost-of-living is high are far from a "dump." Have you heard of a concept called "supply and demand?" Clearly there are enough people wanting to live there to drive real estate prices to the level that they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.