Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:00 PM

28 posts, read 52,742 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, first topic I've made on here.

Well, I just got back from a great 21 day vacation in July. We departed Pittsburgh and headed out west to Yosemite seeing all the National Parks along the way, a photographers dream.

Im planning another trip in a few weeks to hit the "northern" states of the country as well as seeing Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Tetons, ect....

Not sure if im even in the right board asking for road trip advise, but basically im just trying to find nice places to go and take some shots. I have a pretty good basis laid out that includes the Badlands, Windcave, Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Tetons, Arches, Rocky Mountains, then home....

anything else I should add to the list that im missing out on? Time really isn't a factor.

Hopefully im posting this on the right section!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 05:44 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Sounds like a fun trip that you just went on. What parks did you visit on your trip to Yosemite? Regarding your upcoming trip, are planning on continuing west until you reach the Pacific, or heading south after Teton and hitting the UT/CO parks?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,479 times
Maybe go up through Upper Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota along Lake Superior, a beautiful and little-visited area on your way out West? Or drive up the Great River Road (anywhere from IA up, WI or MN sides the rest of the way) along the beautiful Upper Mississippi before splitting west through the Twin Cities? I'm not sure why so many people just drive straight through to Wyoming through terribly boring IN/IL/IA interstates instead of catching scenery along the way.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:01 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times
Teddy Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota is pretty good.

I second CowsAndBeer. Drive through the UP/northern Wisconsin/north central Minnesota going out, and then on the way back, drive through Minneapolis, then down the Mississippi to Dubuque, then toward Chicago via Galena. Beautiful country and not photographed enough!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Sounds like a fun trip that you just went on. What parks did you visit on your trip to Yosemite? Regarding your upcoming trip, are planning on continuing west until you reach the Pacific, or heading south after Teton and hitting the UT/CO parks?

Yah it was life changing, prior to last year the furthest west I have ever been was Chicago so it was literally a whole new world.

As for the parks we seen quite a bit in the order we saw them- Cuyahoga, (3 days) El Mapais, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, Devils Postpile, Rocky Mt.,Yosemite, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, and I think thats about it....saw quite a few awesome state parks like Valley of Fire and Goblin Valley....Monument Valley...i'd say we did pretty well.

And for the upcoming trip, once I get to the Tetons I was going to head south into Salt Lake and eventually to Moab for a night, then head back home stopping at Rocky Mt again....unless you guys can enlighten me on something im missing!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Maybe go up through Upper Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota along Lake Superior, a beautiful and little-visited area on your way out West? Or drive up the Great River Road (anywhere from IA up, WI or MN sides the rest of the way) along the beautiful Upper Mississippi before splitting west through the Twin Cities? I'm not sure why so many people just drive straight through to Wyoming through terribly boring IN/IL/IA interstates instead of catching scenery along the way.

Yah this is exactly what im worried about, not much to see on my way to South Dakota (then it gets interesting) I'd love to find some nice pull offs and scenery in say Minnesota or Wisconsin just to take a break from driving, Im thinking im probably going to skip Minneapolis to save some time and gas. Or would you recommend it?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Teddy Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota is pretty good.

I second CowsAndBeer. Drive through the UP/northern Wisconsin/north central Minnesota going out, and then on the way back, drive through Minneapolis, then down the Mississippi to Dubuque, then toward Chicago via Galena. Beautiful country and not photographed enough!
I have looked into Roosevelt, and the only thing im worried about is skipping over Badlands/Windcave area, its in Eastern ND from what I remember, I mean I suppose I could always just go strait south after seeing it.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksim89 View Post
Yah it was life changing, prior to last year the furthest west I have ever been was Chicago so it was literally a whole new world.

As for the parks we seen quite a bit in the order we saw them- Cuyahoga, (3 days) El Mapais, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, Devils Postpile, Rocky Mt.,Yosemite, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, and I think thats about it....saw quite a few awesome state parks like Valley of Fire and Goblin Valley....Monument Valley...i'd say we did pretty well.

And for the upcoming trip, once I get to the Tetons I was going to head south into Salt Lake and eventually to Moab for a night, then head back home stopping at Rocky Mt again....unless you guys can enlighten me on something im missing!
Well, I was going to recommend continuing west until you reach the Pacific. We just did a three week trip in the NW, and it was amazing. North Cascades, Rainier, and especially Olympic were spectacular. But, it sounds like you'll have to save that for another time.

For the immediate trip you're planning, I would suggest driving up to Glacier NP, if you have the time. But, if you're coming into Yellowstone and Teton then heading south, it may not be possible. But again, absolutely worth it if you're thinking about it.

After you leave Moab, I have a couple suggestions for Colorado. I mean, there are several national parks that are much less frequently visited in the state. Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP is impressive, and Mesa Verde is incredible, as well. But my favorite NP in CO (and perhaps in the US) is Great Sand Dunes National Park, near Alamosa. The biggest sand dunes in North America, surrounded by jagged 13ers and 14ers. You can play on them all you want. I love that place.

The San Juan mountains in the SW part of the state are by far the prettiest mountains in the state, maybe even the lower 48. If you take the southern route across CO (like HWY 160 to the Sand Dunes), make sure you hit US550 (Million Dollar Highway) from Ouray to Silverton to Durango (Telluride is nearby- not on the loop, but quite easily the prettiest mountain town I've ever seen). Extremely scenic trip. In fact, Grand Junction-Durango-Alamosa-Buena Vista-Leadville would be a great diversionary loop.

Now, if you elect to just continue I-70 east, rather than dipping down, you won't be disappointed by scenery. I would suggest several points of interest. First, Glenwood Canyon is arguably the most scenic stretch of interstate in the country. Stop at the Hanging Lake exit and take the steep, short hike up to the lake. Turquoise blue in a spectacular setting. It gets busy on weekends, so I'd try to do it on a weekday. Another thing to do in the area is to go to the Maroon Bells near Aspen. Looks like the Canadian Rockies, huge sheer walls, one of the most photographed spots in the state. Again, good to visit on a weekday or late afternoon. Finally, if at that point you are trying to get back up to Rocky Mountain NP, take the River Road- Colorado River Headwaters National Scenic Byway. It goes directly from I-70 (turn at Dotsero exit, continue to State Bridge and follow road and river to the west entrance at RMNP).

Anyway, Google some of these places for some pics. They are definitely worth your time, and if you have more questions, let me know.....

Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Well, I was going to recommend continuing west until you reach the Pacific. We just did a three week trip in the NW, and it was amazing. North Cascades, Rainier, and especially Olympic were spectacular. But, it sounds like you'll have to save that for another time.

For the immediate trip you're planning, I would suggest driving up to Glacier NP, if you have the time. But, if you're coming into Yellowstone and Teton then heading south, it may not be possible. But again, absolutely worth it if you're thinking about it.

After you leave Moab, I have a couple suggestions for Colorado. I mean, there are several national parks that are much less frequently visited in the state. Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP is impressive, and Mesa Verde is incredible, as well. But my favorite NP in CO (and perhaps in the US) is Great Sand Dunes National Park, near Alamosa. The biggest sand dunes in North America, surrounded by jagged 13ers and 14ers. You can play on them all you want. I love that place.

The San Juan mountains in the SW part of the state are by far the prettiest mountains in the state, maybe even the lower 48. If you take the southern route across CO (like HWY 160 to the Sand Dunes), make sure you hit US550 (Million Dollar Highway) from Ouray to Silverton to Durango (Telluride is nearby- not on the loop, but quite easily the prettiest mountain town I've ever seen). Extremely scenic trip. In fact, Grand Junction-Durango-Alamosa-Buena Vista-Leadville would be a great diversionary loop.

Now, if you elect to just continue I-70 east, rather than dipping down, you won't be disappointed by scenery. I would suggest several points of interest. First, Glenwood Canyon is arguably the most scenic stretch of interstate in the country. Stop at the Hanging Lake exit and take the steep, short hike up to the lake. Turquoise blue in a spectacular setting. It gets busy on weekends, so I'd try to do it on a weekday. Another thing to do in the area is to go to the Maroon Bells near Aspen. Looks like the Canadian Rockies, huge sheer walls, one of the most photographed spots in the state. Again, good to visit on a weekday or late afternoon. Finally, if at that point you are trying to get back up to Rocky Mountain NP, take the River Road- Colorado River Headwaters National Scenic Byway. It goes directly from I-70 (turn at Dotsero exit, continue to State Bridge and follow road and river to the west entrance at RMNP).

Anyway, Google some of these places for some pics. They are definitely worth your time, and if you have more questions, let me know.....

Yah unfortunately Im not going to be able to make it to the Pacific (maybe one day) as well as Glacier, its just sorta out of the way and wouldn't make much sense to drive all the way up there for a day or two.

Now that you mention Black Canyon, I actually have that part of the trip just forgot to mention it...I was looking at pics of Great sand dunes the other day and badly wanted to check it out, maybe Ill just skip Denver and Rocky Mt. all together since I was already there this year...that southern colorado loop your speaking of sounds pretty amazing and ill get to see some parts of the state I haven't yet.

We passed Hanging Lake last month for the reasons your saying, it was packed. I'd love to make it back to Rocky Mt....time to readjust my trip....thanks a lot though some great ideas.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Certainly! Yes, that southern loop would be a good one, especially if you saw the I-70 sights last month (side note: I actually live in Glenwood Canyon now, so I'm biased!). My sample route would be something like this:

I-70 to Grand Junction (*CO Nat'l Monument is worth a visit, but looks a lot like UT canyon country)
Hwy 50 South to Montrose (Black Canyon is a quick turn off, not much multi-day stuff to do unless you hike down or camp)
Get back on 550, head south to Durango (Mesa Verde is not too far if you have time)
Take 160 East past Alamosa, north on 150 to Great Sand Dunes. Camp in or near the park and play on the dunes!!
Cut back across to 285, go north over Poncha Pass and by Collegiate Peaks- plenty of hot springs and awesome scenery.
At Buena Vista, take 24 north to Leadville, then 24 to Vail or 91 to Copper.
At Silverthorne, take 9 past the Gore Range to Hwy 40, which will take you to Hwy 34, and back to RMNP.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.