Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

there is no one WORSE place unless you way, Detroit!!

Old 09-05-2013, 12:07 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
That is certainly dispiriting if true. I have to take your word for it as I'm not intimately familiar with LA at all, though even from afar I see the demographic and political changes -- then, Tom Bradley, now, Villaraigosa (until last year).

I was wondering, however, if the same dynamic holds true in the city of Miami? I don't know that black folks ever saw the place as holding the same potential for upward mobility as LA once had, but it is also, obviously, a Spanish-speaking town, with very few black folks in the local power structure. Moreover it's one where all I ever read about is the poor and destitute black folks living (and occassionally rioting) there and in nearby suburbs. And, of course, the sometime tension between blacks and Cubans, the plight of Haitian refugees, or the criminality of Jamaican drug dealers. Never seen or heard anything about a black middle-class there, as I have about Tampa or Jacksonville, or even Tallahassee. I've never heard of anyone black moving to Miami for any reason at all.

If I am misinformed about the dynamics there, I'd be happy for someone with more knowldege than me to set the record straight. But it seems as if Miami is a tough nut to crack for African Americans.
Most of the Black Americans that currently live in Miami came there during the 20's and 30's, and there was a very large thriving middle class Black population. I hate to say it, but the civil rights movement killed that. The current Black Americans in Miami are the descendants of these people. Meaning that the Black Americans were there way before Cubans, Haitians, and Jamaicans took over Miami.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:20 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
there is no one WORSE place unless you way, Detroit!!
It is a mixed bag, as there are still some nice, old money city neighborhoods and many Black folks live in a range of suburbs. You could say this for many metros though, but the Detroit area still has its share of middle class Black residents.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:47 PM

92 posts, read 137,702 times
Anywhere not the south. Anywhere where black considerations are not only trumped by white considerations, but also considerations of newcomers. Sad to say, I see it beginning to happen in Texas as well, but it hasn't gotten that bad yet.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd Spectrum View Post
Anywhere not the south. Anywhere where black considerations are not only trumped by white considerations, but also considerations of newcomers. Sad to say, I see it beginning to happen in Texas as well, but it hasn't gotten that bad yet.
sure the south is so bad for blacks? How do you explain black mayors for starters and other black elected representatives.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:31 PM

92 posts, read 137,702 times
Quote:
sure the south is so bad for blacks? How do you explain black mayors for starters and other black elected representatives.
I said anywhere that IS NOT the south, implying that the south is the least bad.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
You can find these things outside of the South as well.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:33 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Per the rules for the General U.S. forum:

Threads that are negative in nature are not allowed, as by their very nature they invite posts that become argumentative and even hostile.

This thread is now closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.