Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,527 times

Advertisements

I have a few theories. First thing that comes to mind is that criminalizing everything is good for lining someones pocket somewhere.

Here is an example:

Someone says something to me in the Street in the UK. I beat him up. At most, I will go to jail overnight and be free.

Do the same thing in the USA and you will go to jail for a year.

Has anyone noticed this and wondered why?

Sometimes the laws make sense, but often times I am left wondering.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 12:42 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I suspect that your ideas about the law in Britain are not accurate.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:57 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,868 times
You've obviously never gotten a speeding ticket in Finland, or tried riding a motorcycle between lanes of traffic in Oregon. Not only can't you generalize about the US having stricter laws than the rest of the world, you can't even generalize about laws and their enforcement within the US. They vary a great deal from one state to another.

For example, in San Francisco you'll get cited for smoking a cigarette in certain places, but not a joint. In Las Vegas it's the exact opposite.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,683 times
Police in America is way more strict and most people are afraid of the police. Indeed, prison in Europe is like a motel while in the U.S. you suffer and live like an animal.

However, polices in America are still helpful and friendly if you ask questions, directions or have small chat.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Someone says something to me in the Street in the UK. I beat him up. At most, I will go to jail overnight and be free.

Lol what are you talking about?

I never knew anybody who got a year for beating someone up.....

Old 08-28-2013, 03:56 PM

219 posts, read 285,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
I have a few theories. First thing that comes to mind is that criminalizing everything is good for lining someones pocket somewhere.

Here is an example:

Sometimes the laws make sense, but often times I am left wondering.

Thanks
You have to be joking..... beating someone up because they said something to you...... and you are complaining that you will go to jail...

What kind of wacked moral compass do you have

In most civilized countries..... beating someone up for dumb non defense reasons is called felony assault.....

Nothing nonsensical about going to jail for vicimizing other people unless you have no problem with someone curbstomping you for being an idiot

The only dumb laws here in America are drug possession laws.... given that we have more addicts than ever before here, it is obvious that rehab is the answer, not jail

Old 08-28-2013, 03:58 PM

219 posts, read 285,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Sounds like you know a high class of people

Maybe I will have to visit Minnesota someday

Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that your ideas about the law in Britain are not accurate.
Having lived there, your suspicion is incorrect. I have family that goes around kicking everyones behind and nothing ever happens. They do whatever they want and freely. Everyone I see there does whatever they want freely as well. Always a slap on the wrist and a night in jail. More specifically, I am referring to Scotland. I can't speak for England. "Scot Free" comes to mind.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
You've obviously never gotten a speeding ticket in Finland, or tried riding a motorcycle between lanes of traffic in Oregon. Not only can't you generalize about the US having stricter laws than the rest of the world, you can't even generalize about laws and their enforcement within the US. They vary a great deal from one state to another.

For example, in San Francisco you'll get cited for smoking a cigarette in certain places, but not a joint. In Las Vegas it's the exact opposite.
Ok, I'll narrow it down to Scotland as above.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Pretty regular in the South. 1 year for beating someone up and I always hear about 15 years for just about anything elsewhere in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.