Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM

66 posts, read 101,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Seattle Transit
Commuter Rail: 2 (North Line and South Line)
Light Rail: 2 (Central Link and Tacoma Link)
Subway Lines: 0
Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 11:31 AM

66 posts, read 101,389 times
I have a lot of research to do and perhaps travel (which I can't do now ). I won't be able to do anything until I get my savings back up as far as moving is concerned but at least now I have viable choices and not just *ideas* of where I think it might work out for me. I'm glad that I finally took the plunge and joined this forum with such helpul people and posts.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyNMint View Post
Interesting...I've always got the impression that it was the opposite. Are you from or live in L. A.? I'm not interested in Atlanta as I want to leave the south.
LA's system is pretty big and efficient if you live & work along one of the rail lines. LA gets it's density from the eastside neighborhoods which is where public transportation is best. Metro is in the process of building more trains that will further provide access to the rest of the city & county. Right now, Metro is the process of contruction or pre-construction on the Expo line extension to DT Santa Monica, The Crenshaw Line to LAX, the Gold Line extension to Azusa, and the regional connector which will basically eliminate transfers going E-W & N-S within the county. It's all pretty exciting to think this is all coming whithin 10 years. Right Now, the system is big enough but it does not yet serve everyone yet.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...l_projects.php

Last edited by jamills21; 08-28-2013 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 12:45 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyNMint View Post
Seems to be a general consensus with a few other places thrown into the mix like Portland and Seattle. So does Seattle have rail or not? I was kind of confused with the last few posts.
Those people don't live in Seattle and obviously just don't know. We do offer rails.

Our commuter train (heavy rail): Sounder train - SoundTransit
Our link (light rail): Link light rail - SoundTransit

As for the claim that there is no subway, we have had one for a long time. We don't call it a subway, though that's what it is. Its often referred as the "Transit Tunnel". It goes under Seattle DT, so it doesn't clog our streets. Both buses and our light rail use it: Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our light rail is expanding, with lots of work planned and stations to open. Even the Transit Tunnel is being expanded and soon our popular trendy neigborhoods, Capitol Hill and University District will be linked to the tunnel: http://www.soundtransit.org/Projects-and-Plans

And of course, we have an extensive bus system which is very heavily used. Within DT area, we do offer trolleys (affectionately referred as S.L.U.T.) and the monorail (which the tourists use).

Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
e is no subway, we have had one for a long time. We don't call it a subway, though that's what it is. Its often referred as the "Transit Tunnel". It goes under Seattle DT, so it doesn't clog our streets. Both buses and our light rail use it: Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I guess technically those are subway tunnels but light rail and even busses running through them. Sorry I just find that last part a little hilarious.

To have a true subway system, not only does there have to be subway tunnels but the transportation has to be rapid transit. I think most can agree with that.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I guess technically those are subway tunnels but light rail and even busses running through them. Sorry I just find that last part a little hilarious.

To have a true subway system, not only does there have to be subway tunnels but the transportation has to be rapid transit. I think most can agree with that.

Subways are generally classified as heavy rail which means a live third rail for power; general characteristics include longer trains (though commuter rail is many times the same) with higher capacity, total ROW separation (not exclusive to this form and is typically in the form of submerged or elevated).

Commuter Rail (generally higher speed and longer cars) and light rail generally both use overhead cantenary electric (or at times diesel)

To me there are a few light rail lines that function similar to a "subway" like the green lines in Boston. Philly (similar to Muni in many ways in SF) has the subway-surface light rail lines that go underground in the core but also ride on streets without grade seperation, to me not trulky a "subway" or heavy rail.

Not sure on Seattle, it seems the core has grade separation, not sure the remainder integrates full ROW and grade seperation on this line.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 PM

This video to me shows the difference between underground light rail and a true subway IMHO

SEPTA K-Car LRV Subway-Surface 13th Street Bound Route #36 #9044 at 30th Street - YouTube

Old 08-28-2013, 02:03 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Subways are generally classified as heavy rail which means a live third rail for power; general characteristics include longer trains (though commuter rail is many times the same) with higher capacity, total ROW separation (not exclusive to this form and is typically in the form of submerged or elevated).

Commuter Rail (generally higher speed and longer cars) and light rail generally both use overhead cantenary electric (or at times diesel)

To me there are a few light rail lines that function similar to a "subway" like the green lines in Boston. Philly (similar to Muni in many ways in SF) has the subway-surface light rail lines that go underground in the core but also ride on streets without grade seperation, to me not trulky a "subway" or heavy rail.

Not sure on Seattle, it seems the core has grade separation, not sure the remainder integrates full ROW and grade seperation on this line.
I certainly wouldn't characterize Seattle as having a true metro subway that cities like NYC and Chicago have. I'm sure most residents in Seattle who are not well versed on this subject will probably just see it as a regular subway system that is no different from other cities. In general most cities today are building light rail as their primary rail transit over heavy rail. Very few cities in this country are building new subway lines as it is very expensive.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:15 PM

^^^ well much can be on fuction, some light rail does act like subways a bit

Here is another video with to me some differences, even if below ground

SEPTA: M-4 MFL (Bypass) and Trolley Route 34 at 19th Street / Market St. - YouTube

Old 08-28-2013, 02:54 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Can't speak for all cities because frankly I haven't travelled the US very much, but from what I understand I would dodge the Sunbelt cities as a whole. Our city structures are different than the North. LA might be ok but the rest of them... Also, I'm just going to take a second here and deem Phoenix to have one of the worst ones.

Cities I have heard to have the best public transportation: Portland, Oregon; Chicago, Illinois; New York, New York; Boston, Massachusetts; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.