U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 4,959 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place in America for one to live, considering the following best schools ( elementary to high), racism, crime, employment opportunity, cost of living and possible natural disaster? I will really appreciate open feed backs to narrow down my search. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 06:46 AM

65,554 posts, read 91,367,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachaelmom View Post
Where is the best place in America for one to live, considering the following best schools ( elementary to high), racism, crime, employment opportunity, cost of living and possible natural disaster? I will really appreciate open feed backs to narrow down my search. Thank you
There could be quite a few. Is there any other criteria that you are looking for or that would fit for you?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 AM

23,033 posts, read 34,306,515 times
Columbus, OH could be a good option. 25% of the population lives in racially integrated neighborhoods, there are good school districts to choose from, the crime level is low to moderate for the most part, the unemployment rate is low, the cost of living is low and there isn't a natural disaster worry other than perhaps a very rare tornado possibility.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM

23,116 posts, read 37,687,183 times
Do you prefer a majority AA community?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 AM

Yes. But where there are more professionals, excellent schools and the crime rate is very low. Thank you

Old 08-29-2013, 09:49 AM

Thanks a lot Kyle19125.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Yes. But where there are more professionals, excellent schools and the crime rate is very low. Thank you
Again, you can find all of these things in many areas in different regions. Is there anything more specific that you are looking for?

I guess for the sake of the thread, you go with the usual Atlanta response.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,929,414 times
Quote:
I mean no disrespect but I don't know of any majority AA communities that have excellent schools, a professional population, and a very low rate of crime. I'm sure some exist out there somewhere but I just don't know of any. There are certainly some areas with a higher than average as a portion of AA's representation of the US population that fit your criteria but I don't think that you'll find many that AA are the majority. Northern Virginia has a very ethnically diverse population and it's high income with great schools but I know for a fact that it is FAR from AA majority.

I think you should focus on just finding an open and accepting area in general as opposed to one where everyone looks like you.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:30 AM

4,769 posts, read 7,064,174 times
Yes, there are too many communities across the country to name them all, but I will give a few metro NYC area places where middle-class black professionals raising families often choose to live: White Plains and Greenburgh in Westchester County, just north of the city, or Mapelwood, Montclair and West Orange, in New Jersey -- all an easy train or bus commute to Manhattan. There are others of course, but these are the first that came to my mind, and they are all a bit more upscale than some NYC suburbs with a noticable black population.

In NYC itself, black professional families tend to live wherever they can afford, from the Bronx to Staten Island and everywhere in between. But the traditional hangouts have been single-family houses in neighborhoods in Queens like Laurelton, St. Albans, Cambria Heights, and a few others.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Yes, there are too many communities across the country to name them all, but I will give a few metro NYC area places where middle-class black professionals raising families often choose to live: White Plains and Greenburgh in Westchester County, just north of the city, or Mapelwood, Montclair and West Orange, in New Jersey -- all an easy train or bus commute to Manhattan. There are others of course, but these are the first that came to my mind, and they are all a bit more upscale than some NYC suburbs with a noticable black population.

In NYC itself, black professional families tend to live wherever they can afford, from the Bronx to Staten Island and everywhere in between. But the traditional hangouts have been single-family houses in neighborhoods in Queens like Laurelton, St. Albans, Cambria Heights, and a few others.
On Long Island, I believe that Baldwin, Wheatley Heights, parts of Lakeview, Valley Stream, West Hempstead, parts of West Babylon and a couple of other neighborhoods have a concentration of Black middle class folks. I believe that Malverne SD is mostly Black and has a high graduation rate and there are districts with high Black grad rates, along with a high Black percentage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.