Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:03 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think I'd be more interested in a 50-state games than an international Olympics.
That's actually a pretty good idea. I'd watch that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
I think I'd be more interested in a 50-state games than an international Olympics.
That would be fun!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:48 AM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree and think of all the cities here in the US it's probably the most ready in terms of existing venues, transportation infrastructure and security. Apparently the Washington Redskins owner (Dan Snyder) is throwing support behind construction of a new Olympic Stadium in Downtown DC (not sure what tract of land) that would ultimately get the team out of suburban Maryland and into DC like the Nationals.
Personally I think the Redskins need a new stadium. It's not terribly old, but for the national capitol's football team there needs to be a cutting edge stadium. DC would draw a lot of people from all over the country to watch the Olympics as well. There would be a good national turnout.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:09 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
That's actually a pretty good idea. I'd watch that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
That would be fun!
I keep hoping they'll bring Almost Anything Goes back, it was only on a couple of years in the mid-70's but was a lot of fun to watch. It was town versus town and a cool concept I thought.

Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-13-2013, 07:08 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Does anyone know what the requirements are for hosting the summer olympics? Are they laid out anywhere?

I'm not talking about what the requirements are for a city to be selected. What I mean by this is once selected, what structures does the host city need to have in place in order to actually host the games? Obviously they need a stadium, how big and how many? They need an aquatics venue, how big does that need to be? What other structures need to be built? You need hotel rooms, how many?

You get the idea.

If the IOC hasn't actually ever laid out a list of requirements, does anyone have a list of all the structures London had to build or re-purpose to use for the event?

Old 12-13-2013, 08:02 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,947 times
1) San Diego-Tijuana for an International Olympic

2) Knoxville, Tennessee for an Appalachian-themed games

3) Santa Fe for a mystical, Native-American themed games

4) Honolulu - The Spam Olympics

Old 12-13-2013, 08:25 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
chicago

Old 12-13-2013, 08:38 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
I think the IOC will likely bypass American cities again in 2024 until we get our act together here. There are too many other cities surging forward in the world that are more eager, ready, and prepared to showcase themselves to the world, more so than most American cities.

Personally I'd like to see Chicago host, it would be a fantastic showcase city for America. I just don't see it making the cut when competing against other cities abroad. It will be interesting to see how successful the Rio Olympics are in 2016 which may be a good test to see how other cities in developing countries around the world and their potential to host the games in the future.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-13-2013 at 09:07 PM..

Old 12-13-2013, 11:06 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Does anyone know what the requirements are for hosting the summer olympics? Are they laid out anywhere?

I'm not talking about what the requirements are for a city to be selected. What I mean by this is once selected, what structures does the host city need to have in place in order to actually host the games? Obviously they need a stadium, how big and how many? They need an aquatics venue, how big does that need to be? What other structures need to be built? You need hotel rooms, how many?

You get the idea.

If the IOC hasn't actually ever laid out a list of requirements, does anyone have a list of all the structures London had to build or re-purpose to use for the event?
these requirements likely change on the whim of whatever IOC PooBah is within earshot but if the citizenry knew what they were in for and needed to provide, it's doubtful that the IOC could find anyone to host them. From a Vanity Fair Article on the London Games:

To comply with its terms, London must designate 250 miles of dedicated traffic lanes for the exclusive use of athletes and “the Olympic Family,” including I.O.C. members, honorary members, and “such other persons as may be designated by the IOC.” (These traffic lanes are sometimes called “Zil lanes,” alluding to the Soviet-era express lanes in Moscow reserved for the politburo’s favorite limousines.) Members of the Olympic Family must also have at their disposal at least 500 air-conditioned limousines with chauffeurs wearing uniforms and caps. London must set aside, and pay for, 40,000 hotel rooms, including 1,800 four- and five-star rooms for the I.O.C. and its associates, for the entire period of the Games. London must cede to the I.O.C. the rights to all intellectual property relating to the Games, including the international trademark on the phrase “London 2012.” Although mail service and the issuance of currency are among any nation’s sovereign rights, the contract requires the British government to obtain the I.O.C.’s “prior written approval” for virtually any symbolic commemoration of the Games, including Olympic-themed postage stamps, coins, and banknotes.

Can London Afford the $14.5 Billion Price Tag of the Summer 2012 Olympic Games? | Vanity Fair

Old 12-14-2013, 04:50 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I think the IOC will likely bypass American cities again in 2024 until we get our act together here. There are too many other cities surging forward in the world that are more eager, ready, and prepared to showcase themselves to the world, more so than most American cities.

Personally I'd like to see Chicago host, it would be a fantastic showcase city for America. I just don't see it making the cut when competing against other cities abroad. It will be interesting to see how successful the Rio Olympics are in 2016 which may be a good test to see how other cities in developing countries around the world and their potential to host the games in the future.
Chicago's broke and it was already humiliated in 2009 with its boot in the first round of the finals. I think Seattle would make a great city for the Summer Games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.