Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:00 PM

646 posts, read 813,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Yes you're right but Seattle's economy and jobs have changed since then somewhat like Houston back in the 70's and 80's oil industry. Now its not all about Boeing, thank goodness.
Yeah, sounds a lot more diversified in the tech industry which probably has helped the transportation industry, ports, trade, airports, knowledge.

A lot of the attitude in DC is due to an influx of people who become quite nouveau in their attitude when they benefit from the area's wealth. BUt heck, I'm glad we live in a country that provides that for its people, for usually as long as they care to be there and it has an ever increasing expanding economy, that's relatively inflation proof. I'm glad we have a democratic capital that can give so many a chance. It's not greedy about human and constitutional rights. Other large cities where I've lived they are unionized, nepotistic, and downright greedy and have poor working conditions and worker's rights.

Now some industries (since some have cited it has none) like the hdqtrs for Marriott Corporation is more affected by national downturns.

Lots of large corp hdqtrrs in DC, the old govt one horse town epithet, has been gone for decades. MCI was created there to directly challenge ATT and hence we have the tech industries from the deregulation of monopolies. DC has created mega changes in industries thru legislative changes and whole companies are created locally from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Yes you're right but Seattle's economy and jobs have changed since then somewhat like Houston back in the 70's and 80's oil industry. Now its not all about Boeing, thank goodness.
Another thing, if you haven't been DC in a number of years you're not going to recognize it. That's all I can say. It's totally changed in 10 years diametrically in appearance and reflects much of the wealth of the region.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:00 AM

That, and anything else done in Washington, can be done elsewhere. Our nation's stability doesnt depend on any one city. This is not the UK or Japan....It might make Jane Goodall sad, but alas, the US has no Primates, at least as far as cities are concerned.>>

That, you're telling ME? That's one reason I started this thread to demonstrate how all those in their Paris Hilton, OJ Simpson, Michael Jackson, and the rest of the in crowds of NY and LA are counterbalanced in wealth in the country. I suppose they feel that rather than miltary defense spending that is much more important in terms of cultural contributions. So double ditto for LA and NY and Chicago.

I also started the thread introducing the reasons why the US doesn't have a primate city, unlike New Yorkers or LA'ers are so wont to claim.

You're actually preaching to the choir here, with some minor differences. However, a county must have a capital. NY thinks it's the capital of the US the world, the solar system. And they just can't stand it when they find that some places else also have wealth.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-16-2007 at 08:27 AM..

Old 11-16-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
On top for decades is true, but it seems that the past 30-40 years sees the top metros rotating btwn NY, DC, SF and Boston. This current boom is fueled by increased spending by the federal govt-which directly effects all sectors of business in DC.>> And that certainly has aided with similar jobs for those other cities as well with the Homeland Security allocations, stimulated jobs and jerked fledgling Silicon Valley back into a better cycle for the West Coast.

But there is an 800-lb gorilla in the middle of the room and his name is Uncle Sam. The Federal Govt is the principal driver of the DC Area economy-bar none.>>

And that same gorilla helps all those cities from trickle-down the levels even though in LA they prefer to read "Hustler" rather than reports from DC's Brooking Institution or Pew Research Center. It's their call. That's their stupidity and while on Writer's strike now, go ahead and blame DC for that, but it's not the nation's fault LA storytellers or NY's either can't come up with better entertainment to WASTE people's time at the box offices film or theater. There's no talent yet they want to still inundate the world with junk and overhyped advertising on their junk.

Now really you can't compete with DC, LA or whereever is not in a competition as cities go with each other.

DC is not resented because of any of the above reasons, rather DC is seen as a bottomless pit that represents overspending and waste. As a Californian, I resent the fact that my state is shortchanged in federal spending to the tune of $50 Billion annually compared to how much we send there in federal taxes. Meanwhile, bureacrats and paper pushers 3,000 miles away without any concern to how they get paid, dont get anything done and perpetuate gridlock and red tape, get rewarded for their laziness with charge accounts so they can dine at upscale restaurants and stay in luxury hotels and galavant around the beltway in shiny gas guzzling suburbans--all courtesy of people like me. >>

And they don't do that from profits from entertainment crap around LA??? PUHHHLEEEEEEZZZZEEEEE!! Don't keep recycling washed ups like Shirley McLain either. What flops! Cost how many millions wasted to make?

That, and anything else done in Washington, can be done elsewhere. Our nation's stability doesnt depend on any one city. This is not the UK or Japan....It might make Jane Goodall sad, but alas, the US has no Primates, at least as far as cities are concerned.
And we don't need much of Hollywood's entertainment either, they got to farm out a lot of their low paying jobs to NYC, where they can fight over them like care packages for wannabe "Stars".

However, I feel California is to be commended it's far better a state run than many others, I've lived there and it has a lot to offer, however it's big and important but as a South Pole for the US it doesn't exist without a North one nor East or West.

They did very well with the fires recently and their planning for disasters have been superb with all they have on their plate continuously defying nature to live there. Again it's their call. NYers too are constantly going against the grain of nature to exist where they are.

I'd hate to see the nation if such natural catastrophes should hit DC, but as you say it isn't needed, perhaps whoever is in charge can run the country from a newer ranch soon other than Crawford, TX and forget about such unncessary things in DC such as the National Science Foundation and all the useless things they do compared to LA's Flashing Teeth brigade.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 AM

Default Quoted response to

Originally Posted by 18Montclair
On top for decades is true, but it seems that the past 30-40 years sees the top metros rotating btwn NY, DC, SF and Boston. This current boom is fueled by increased spending by the federal govt-which directly effects all sectors of business in DC.>>

Stuy: And that certainly has aided with similar jobs for those other cities as well with the Homeland Security allocations, stimulated jobs and jerked fledgling Silicon Valley back into a better cycle for the West Coast.

But there is an 800-lb gorilla in the middle of the room and his name is Uncle Sam. The Federal Govt is the principal driver of the DC Area economy-bar none.>>

Stuy: And that same gorilla helps all those cities from trickle-down the levels even though in LA they prefer to read "Hustler" rather than reports from DC's Brooking Institution or Pew Research Center. It's their call. That's their stupidity and while on Writer's strike now, go ahead and blame DC for that, but it's not the nation's fault LA storytellers or NY's either can't come up with better entertainment to WASTE people's time at the box offices film or theater. There's no talent yet they want to still inundate the world with junk and overhyped advertising on their junk.

Now really you can't compete with DC, LA or whereever is not in a competition as cities go with each other.

Montclair : DC is not resented because of any of the above reasons, rather DC is seen as a bottomless pit that represents overspending and waste. As a Californian, I resent the fact that my state is shortchanged in federal spending to the tune of $50 Billion annually compared to how much we send there in federal taxes. Meanwhile, bureacrats and paper pushers 3,000 miles away without any concern to how they get paid, dont get anything done and perpetuate gridlock and red tape, get rewarded for their laziness with charge accounts so they can dine at upscale restaurants and stay in luxury hotels and galavant around the beltway in shiny gas guzzling suburbans--all courtesy of people like me. >>

And they don't do that from profits from entertainment crap around LA??? PUHHHLEEEEEEZZZZEEEEE!! Don't keep recycling washed ups like Shirley McLain either. What flops! Cost how many millions wasted to make?

Sounds like you'd better diversify more with defense contracts and aerospace, yes with all the federal funding all the aircraft and aerospace companies there continue to get. I believe Johnston or Edwards AFB launches a lot of satellites for agencies and companies in DC . CALIFORNIA BENEFITS FROM THAT GOVT EXPENDITURE!!

That, and anything else done in Washington, can be done elsewhere. Our nation's stability doesnt depend on any one city. This is not the UK or Japan....It might make Jane Goodall sad, but alas, the US has no Primates, at least as far as cities are concerned.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Interesting.

I wouldnt say least rich, maybe least materialistic. but that's just me.

When the attacks occurred in NY it was California and Chicago, especially California overall that panicked also. Did you wish to generate all your own defense technologies in the various areas. I'm afraid someone has to step up to the table to address the security of the nation considering California is provincial enough to only want to look out for itself from the sales of its media and agriculture purchased by so many other US markets that keep it in business.

It doesn't need anyone else but itself I know.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:48 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
Many of those top counties in the list have been tops for decades long before 9/11. One part of the private sector that hasn't really existed much in DC as in other US cities is an overhyped media industry that's very self-indulgent.

There's lots of navel gazing in those areas, but publishing, educational information and data as well as research has always been a big part of DC whether for private, non-profit, or fed govt admin, needs.

There are two very prestigious medical, no 3, medical institutions in the area. National Institutes of Health, Bethesda Medical Center, and the innovative technology corridor associated with Johns Hopkins and U of MD et al in the I-270 corridor.

There are other things such as the National Geographic hdqtrs and publicatons there in DC and its area, not so glamorous but of a more educational nature. That's just a topical example of the types of publications that it produces.

Sorry the national capital just isn't into producing "Glamour" magazine, GQ, or the National Enquirers of the world. Very profitable but not so academic or a great boon for the nation.

But there are hundreds of other industry related newsletters (Kiplinger), books, publishing, newspapers, magazines such as US News and World Report and USA Today, Gannett that are probably not as cool as Playboy, but are created and published there. I mean the latter sure can help Hollywood or NY rule the world, but when it comes to running a country, close but no cigar.

Well you know we are an information and knowledge based economy these days. Those that were ahead in that game before will be tops today. Seattle surely has profited from transforming into an IT driven economy.
While it is true that some of those DC area counties have been high on the list, they have never been at the top until recent years. Loudon County was a sleepy outer exurb bedroom community before the Dot Com Boom in the late 90's and was no where close to the #2 status that it has now until after the growth of the Dulles Technology Corridor.

As for DC not having an over hyped media industry, I'm glad for that. I agree with the nation's founders that central authority should be away from cultural and financial influences. As much trouble that our government has disentangling itself from large corporations, lobbyists, and other self-interest groups currently, I don't want to think about the effects of having our government in the same location with our cultural or financial centers.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:58 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post

As for DC not having an over hyped media industry, I'm glad for that. I agree with the nation's founders that central authority should be away from cultural and financial influences. As much trouble that our government has disentangling itself from large corporations, lobbyists, and other self-interest groups currently, I don't want to think about the effects of having our government in the same location with our cultural or financial centers.
The problem however, with DC being removed from other important places in the country is that now DC is a bubble and people in power are disconnected from reality. Because they are disconnected, they dont feel the urgency to get things done on behalf of their constituents-instead they function on the whims of lobbyists and financial backers. In other words, its like the kids minding the candy store. No adult supervision.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
While it is true that some of those DC area counties have been high on the list, they have never been at the top until recent years. Loudon County was a sleepy outer exurb bedroom community before the Dot Com Boom in the late 90's and was no where close to the #2 status that it has now until after the growth of the Dulles Technology Corridor.

Right and the concept of the Primate city is one in which all those things economic, cultural, etc PLUS the center of govt in one city.

Loudoun county probably began appearing as its population has fast increased from then. Even with billionnaire towns like Middleburg (horse country) and the rest it always had a very high and median income. Those families in Western Prince William and Loudoun had the power to kick Disney out from building theme parks nearby. But its small population kept it off the radar screen, and Prince William who used to be not so high has emerged more because of influx from Fairfax which has long been number 1 while Montgomery has fallen down but all these counties on the list have been in position on it for a long time.

What's interesting is NJ, some of the richest counties, yet NJ also has decidedly the poorest and most violent cities respectively, Camden and Newark.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-16-2007 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-16-2007, 03:04 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
When the attacks occurred in NY it was California and Chicago, especially California overall that panicked also.
The planes were all California-bound. Perhaps we had a vested interest in the events of that day, ya think?

Quote:
Did you wish to generate all your own defense technologies in the various areas.
That might be a better solution, as far as technology, be it defense or otherwise, California is the worldwide leader.

Quote:
I'm afraid someone has to step up to the table to address the security of the nation considering California is provincial enough to only want to look out for itself from the sales of its media and agriculture purchased by so many other US markets that keep it in business.
well, considering how California has thrown $1 Trillion at DC in the last 5 years in taxes and has lost more troops in the cause of "fighting terror" than any other state, Id say this statement flies in the face of reality.

Quote:
It doesn't need anyone else but itself I know.
What none of us needs is a beaucratic money pit bereft of accountability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.