Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 03:07 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The problem however, with DC being removed from other important places in the country is that now DC is a bubble and people in power are disconnected from reality. Because they are disconnected, they dont feel the urgency to get things done on behalf of their constituents-instead they function on the whims of lobbyists and financial backers. In other words, its like the kids minding the candy store. No adult supervision.
I guess you can argue it both ways, but elected officials do spend a decent amount of time back in the states and districts from where they came from. If a politician isn't looking out for his or her constituents, they shouldn't get reelected. I know that's easier said than done, but I don't know how attaching the government with other places of import would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 03:17 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
I guess you can argue it both ways, but elected officials do spend a decent amount of time back in the states and districts from where they came from. If a politician isn't looking out for his or her constituents, they shouldn't get reelected. I know that's easier said than done, but I don't know how attaching the government with other places of import would help.
If we delegated more decision-making to states, than the role of federal government would be diminished and congressional reps could spend more time at home-maybe they should divide their time as follows, for each quarter, one month in DC, the other 2 months at home.

We should also put social programs more in the hands of states themselves. There are too many dual agencies at federal and state level which I think is redundant-any of those should be at state level.

None of this is ever gonna happen but its just an idea.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:20 PM

646 posts, read 813,066 times
Quote:
The planes were all California-bound. Perhaps we had a vested interest in the events of that day, ya think?

That might be a better solution, as far as technology, be it defense or otherwise, California is the worldwide leader.

well, considering how California has thrown $1 Trillion at DC in the last 5 years in taxes and has lost more troops in the cause of "fighting terror" than any other state, Id say this statement flies in the face of reality.

What none of us needs is a beaucratic money pit bereft of accountability.

So a balance in the country between and among the other poles is held in check by another city that has the power and authority to govern, tax, and control you within a laissez-faire free market system. Without another ultimate power either NY or California the country would have gone the way of any other Third World post-colonial society.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:35 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,660 times
Maybe, but the nation has been trending towards a stronger central government since the Great Depression. Just too many issues that people within the country want solved that the state governments want no part of or very limited in what they can do. Many agencies at the state level had problems handling certain issues, and the Federal government was forced to act on it.

I do agree that some social programs should be put back on the state level, but in reality, the states that need social help the most are the ones that can not afford it.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
Without another ultimate power either NY or California the country would have gone the way of any other Third World post-colonial society.
The keyword in this diatribe is "power".

What exactly is this power you refer to?

In my humble opinion, the power lies with the people themselves, our shared values and common belief in our ability to be free and respect the constitutuon-the power has nothing to do with a place but rather all of us.

Which is why I have so much faith that our existence isnt contigent upon any single city. We are so much more than that.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
The keyword in this diatribe is "power".

What exactly is this power you refer to?

In my humble opinion, the power lies with the people themselves, our shared values and common belief in our ability to be free and respect the constitutuon-the power has nothing to do with a place but rather all of us.

Which is why I have so much faith that our existence isnt contigent upon any single city. We are so much more than that.

Well as far as your trillion $ diatribe goes, I'd say since DC and those boys helped you against the Mexicans and Spanish out there you've run up quite a bill since then. But it's better all around this way having a shared power system, both California and NY (since they completely disregard Texas) can't splt the country apart due to this other "power" that holds checks and balances.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:20 PM

146 posts, read 797,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOR View Post
I totally agree with this post. However, I would like to say one thing about it. While no city/state is totally red, or totally blue, this does not mean that there are not cities/states with slants. For example, Portland, Oregon is a city with a very liberal slant (especially inside the city), and that is often what I look for when I am considering a move. I would much rather live in a city with a liberal slant than a conservative one. I have just noticed the quality of life is so much better. Take for example Bay Area vs. Central Valley, or Portland vs. Phoenix. For me, the quality of life is much better in those areas that tend to be liberal.
Um, for whatever idiot gave me negative rep, how exactly is this a flame?

Old 11-16-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Well as far as your trillion $ diatribe goes, I'd say since DC and those boys helped you against the Mexicans and Spanish out there you've run up quite a bill since then.
As far as running up a bill, spending with reckless abandon is a hallmark of Washington. And as far as $1 Trillion, I stand corrected, CA pays that in taxes every 4 years, not every 5-how lucky for us that our money is in such good hands.

Quote:
But it's better all around this way having a shared power system, both California and NY (since they completely disregard Texas) can't splt the country apart due to this other "power" that holds checks and balances.
More with this power talk.

DC and its infrastructure is the host of our representatives, not the commander of our representatives. That power(how frightening-LOL) lies with the folks back home.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:43 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Quote:
It changes somewhat with every admin. How long ago did you live there?
We moved in October of 2005.

It's very true that the flavor of DC changes with every administration. I'm not sure if that influenced our decision to leave, though. I think it had much more to do with the build-up of traffic and general craziness around the city.

I also found the new high-security environment oppressive. Blockaded streets, police in riot gear with automatic weapons, surveillance cameras mounted all over the place. It was starting to develop an Orwellian feel...

Old 11-17-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
As far as running up a bill, spending with reckless abandon is a hallmark of Washington. And as far as $1 Trillion, I stand corrected, CA pays that in taxes every 4 years, not every 5-how lucky for us that our money is in such good hands.

More with this power talk.

DC and its infrastructure is the host of our representatives, not the commander of our representatives. That power(how frightening-LOL) lies with the folks back home.

I hesitated to use that term before, no offense meant, however for lack of better choices I'm talking about power in terms of influence or more neutrally weight to balance. Most of my assertions stem from the ideas employed on the Primate city thread in mathematical systems with city weight numbers used to include growth spatially, there are others more complicated like spirals for city power.

Perhaps I should have used "authority", or "control"? No those are worse maybe to some. To put this in more tangible terms, llet's just say this if you care to see any importance for Washington in the NY/LA seesaw and tightrope some are wont to walk and talk as an example.

While NY is undoubtedly the financial capital of the US in that one dept, it is held in balance with the bourses and other exchanges and subcapital centers distributed in other main cities. HOWEVER, the regulatory bodies such as the SEC, NASD, and so forth are not located there but in DC. Just like the FAA and DOT for those industries such as airlines, etc. The Fed is set up like a corporation with its hdqtrs and regional and local offices. You know that:

Imagine how many more handcuffed people being dragged away and out of offices on Wall Street all too often if it weren't for regulation controlled elsewhere, sorry to have so say it, DC. Now just in July FINRA was created and is more self regulating but of course overseen by ultimate authorities still.

NASD - The federal securities laws require that virtually every securities firm doing business with the U.S. public must be a member of NASD. You'll find information on how NASD registers and governs its members firm on NASD's website at http://www.nasd.com.
Securities and Exchange Commission - Our web site is http://www.sec.gov. You'll find legitimate contact information for the SEC in the Contact Us section at http://www.sec.gov/contact.shtml and on SEC Division Homepages at http://www.sec.gov/divisions.shtml.

SIPC - SIPC is a non-profit organization created by Congress in 1970 to protect the customers of insolvent brokerage firms. You'll find the real SIPC - the one and only SIPC - at http://www.sipc.org/index.html.
Now FINRA Home Page was created in July 07.

What does this have to do with anything? Let's call it as regards to NY and Calif a form of Brag Control for NY, LA, CHI, SF, etc. LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.