Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:13 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,797,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
I remember having this discussion a few months ago...

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ndscape-5.html

Is Texas the most diverse? No. There are states that are more so, namely the West Coast states. But any goon that thinks Texas is more characterized by "sameness" than "diversity", geographically speaking, needs to do some more homework.

Get out of here with NV though! Without a coast it just can't compete.
NV has a considerable coast.

You however believe that Texas competes without a single mountain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd Spectrum View Post
Well, having live in Texas, I've also camped in the desert, enjoyed the waters of the Gulf of Mexico off SPI, hiked around the hill country, and explored the forests of East Texas. I guess we have different experiences as well. I've visited Los Angeles extensively. All I remembered was traffic and smog.
I believe you. Shows how observant you are of your surroundings. Which high mountain lakes have you visited in Texas? Where were you above the tree line? Do a little scuba there? Right down to 80 or 100 feet 100 yards off shore? Clear blue water where you can see bottom at 100 feet?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

How is that? Probably the world's loveliest high altitude lake.
Yeah, that is not a swamp.

Just stop embarrassing yourself, Nevada does not have swamps, wetlands, or even a coastline for that matter (and by coastline we mean waterfront directly on the ocean not some lake).

Old 09-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Yeah, that is not a swamp.

Just stop embarrassing yourself, Nevada does not have swamps, wetlands, or even a coastline for that matter (and by coastline we mean waterfront directly on the ocean not some lake).
Actually the whole end of the Las Vegas wash was a significant swamp and still exists as a wetlands. The entire basin dumps to Lake Mead through that swamp.

So you think that warm **** puddle off Texas is somehow better than an inland lake? Tends to show how far Texans will reach. Try the picture up thread showed a real wetlands.

Still waiting to hear abut your high mountain lakes...and where it was you got above the treeline.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,384 times
Quote:
Actually the whole end of the Las Vegas wash was a significant swamp and still exists as a wetlands. The entire basin dumps to Lake Mead through that swamp.

So you think that warm **** puddle off Texas is somehow better than an inland lake? Tends to show how far Texans will reach. Try the picture up thread showed a real wetlands.

Still waiting to hear abut your high mountain lakes...and where it was you got above the treeline.
Apparently you are hazy on the definitions of both "coast" and "mountain". The presence of alpine lakes or a treeline does not a mountain make. Texas most definitely has both A legitimate coast snd mountains. Nevada has one of those.

Not that it's that relevant to this particular thread, Texas' river/lake/reservoir shoreline in Texas still far outpaces Nevada- Texas' ocean coastline notwithstanding. So TX has that warm puddle AKA the ocean, plus plenty of inland lakes and rivers.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Apparently you are hazy on the definitions of both "coast" and "mountain". The presence of alpine lakes or a treeline does not a mountain make. Texas most definitely has both A legitimate coast snd mountains. Nevada has one of those.

Not that it's that relevant to this particular thread, Texas' river/lake/reservoir shoreline in Texas still far outpaces Nevada- Texas' ocean coastline notwithstanding. So TX has that warm puddle AKA the ocean, plus plenty of inland lakes and rivers.
Let us be more precise. Which Mountain peaks exist in TX above 10,000 feet? Which TX peaks are snow covered most of the year?

How many lakes in TX above a mile high?

Texas is certainly bigger than Nevada. Better?

Then again though the point made...which you have not refuted. Is that Clark County has more diversity of geography than TX.

That does not claim Clark County is great...it is not.

Just points out TX can't even deal with Clark County in this form of diversity.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times
Quote:

Yeah, there is a huge difference between a swamp and a wetland (aka a swamp has to be forested as well).

Ayways that so called "puddle" you mentioned (which is considered to be an "ocean basin" aka part of the Atlantic Ocean) is responsible for not only most of the seafood caught in the US (such as shrimp, oysters, crabs, and Red Snapper), but also other resources such as oil/natural gas, and the Ports of Houston and New Orleans are considered to be the most busiest when measuring in tonnage out of all of the seaports in the US.

General Facts about the Gulf of Mexico | GMPO | US EPA

Port of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So what exactly does Lake Mead contribute in comparison (not to mention the fact that the lake's water level is continuously dropping)?

By the way mountains don't have to have tree lines to be considered a mountain. However part of the Guadalupe Mountains in West Texas do however have a tree line in McKittrick Canyon.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Trail_2008.jpg

Anyways feel free to thank me for giving you the free geography lesson.

Last edited by JMT; 09-06-2013 at 08:25 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Yeah, there is a huge difference between a swamp and a wetland (aka a swamp has to be forested as well).

Ayways that so called "puddle" you mentioned (which is considered to be an "ocean basin" aka part of the Atlantic Ocean) is responsible for not only most of the seafood caught in the US (such as shrimp, oysters, crabs, and Red Snapper), but also other resources such as oil/natural gas, and the Ports of Houston and New Orleans are considered to be the most busiest when measuring in tonnage out of all of the seaports in the US.

General Facts about the Gulf of Mexico | GMPO | US EPA

Port of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So what exactly does Lake Mead contribute in comparison (not to mention the fact that the lake's water level is continuously dropping)?

By the way mountains don't have to have tree lines to be considered a mountain. However part of the Guadalupe Mountains in West Texas do however have a tree line in McKittrick Canyon.

Anyways feel free to thank me for giving you the free geography lesson.
Well you do demonstrate that you have spent little time on open ocean. But that is classically true of Americans as well as Texans. It is just you have so little to chose from...

Mountains are not defined. That is why I asked for your high lakes and tree lines. You don't have any so do not spend a lot of time looking. Some may have a "tree line" but likely at the bottom not the top.

And again. I am simply running TX against Clark County. And you don't do well.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:15 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Finding a swamp in California is like finding decent Crawfish & Cajun Food out there. In other words it ain't happening. Those are probably nothing more than what we call ponds here in Texas.

Southeast Texas is chock full of swamps due to its proximity to Louisiana.
Lol. Do you know that Oregon is the second largest commercial producer of crawfish? Behind Louisiana, of course. And that would be ahead of Texas.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Well having lived there and spend much time at Catalina scuba diving and hiking in the hills and visiting the desert and June Lake and camping in Tuolumne and commuting to San Jose and visiting friends in the high country and staying a while on Lake Tahoe I guess I would have to differ.

I also lived in Dallas. I remember flat hot and humid.
OMG. Texas is not defined by Dallas, or your one year in the state. Your argument is ridiculous. I'm not saying that Texas is the most geologically diverse state, but you are continually misrepresenting Texas on this thread, based on Dallas and your one year of living there.

More colorful phrases come to my mind, but let's just say that you're...mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.