Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Law enforcement job transfer relocating from Minneapolis, Minnesota, considering Chicago, Phoenix, Atlanta, cost of living, home prices, meeting men, law enforcement salaries, suburban atmosphere

Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 PM

6 posts, read 18,088 times

Advertisements

I work in law enforcement and have to transfer in January. I am a 30 year old single female with no children. My job has given me a list of 17 "large" cities to rank in order of my preference. In the end, they will decide based on the needs of that city, but will try to get me somewhere in my top 10.

I currently live in Minneapolis, but I'm originally from Chicago. I don't like living in Minneapolis, the food sucks and the whole "Minnesota Nice" thing is a bunch of crap. The movie Fargo is a great example of how people engage in conversation (lot's of yep's and oh yea's). The city has no energy and I have a better chance at winning the lottery than making friends or meeting men here.

Believe me, im excited to get the chance to move back to my old stomping grounds in Chicago. Great people/conversations, outstanding food, big city atmosphere etc. However, after surviving many Minnesota winters, I feel that I should attempt to get somewhere warm. Plus, it would be great to "grow up" and get a house instead of the condo hell I'm used to. I guess I'm up for anything and I'm ready to start the "rest" of my life so to speak.

I'm glad that I found this website and i'm hoping that a few of you out there can lead me in the right direction. Remember, I'm single and police officers don't make world class salaries. Plus, I'll have to comute to the city I work in and my work will be IN THE CITY.

Here are the top 17 in random order:

1. Chicago
2. Phoenix
3. Atlanta
4. Houston
5. Dallas
6. Boston
7. Philadelphia
8. Detroit
9. Miami
10. San Diego
11. San Antonio
12. Baltimore
13. Newark
14. Washington DC
15. LA
16. San Francisco
17. New York

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 08:16 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,657 times
With that list of choices, it is obvious that you are entering federal law enforcement. One thing to consider is whether you can reasonably expect your agency to move you again in a few years (something that used to be quite common for federal agents, but I'm not sure now). If you can expect to move in a few years, you may want to try a city that you would like to live in, but maybe cannot afford long term, like San Francisco, San Diego, New York, or Boston. A lot of federal agents, especially ones with families, try to avoid those high-priced cities because they are not compatible with law enforcement salaries. That said, it sounds like you might be best served by a city that is a combination of lower cost of living and a good singles scene. For those two qualifications, I would say that Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas all fit the bill. Phoenix might seem to be a good choice too, but I would be worried about plummeting real estate prices there.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:16 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Since youre so in love with Chicago, move back home. Youre going to be SORELY disappointed in Phoenix and Atlanta coming from MPLS and Chicago, trust me on that. Yes, their climates are warmer, but are you prepared for their summers? Thats the trade off right there. I dont think you have any idea what HELL Phoenix is for 5-6 months of the year. Do yourself a favor and visit those cities in June or July, youll see what Im talking about. Too hot to do anything but sit inside all day long.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 AM

146 posts, read 797,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Since youre so in love with Chicago, move back home. Youre going to be SORELY disappointed in Phoenix and Atlanta coming from MPLS and Chicago, trust me on that. Yes, their climates are warmer, but are you prepared for their summers? Thats the trade off right there. I dont think you have any idea what HELL Phoenix is for 5-6 months of the year. Do yourself a favor and visit those cities in June or July, youll see what Im talking about. Too hot to do anything but sit inside all day long.
There's another very big trade-off between Chicago and Phoenix: atmosphere. I find that Phoenix has a very boring, suburban atmosphere that I really can't get into. I have lived in Phoenix before, and will sadly be moving there again soon. I have also visited my sisters in Tempe on numerous occasions. I just can't get into the city, because for me it doesn't have a city feel. It has the population of a city, and all the problems that goes along with that, but it still lacks the urban vibe/energy that I love so much.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOR View Post
There's another very big trade-off between Chicago and Phoenix: atmosphere. I find that Phoenix has a very boring, suburban atmosphere that I really can't get into. I have lived in Phoenix before, and will sadly be moving there again soon. I have also visited my sisters in Tempe on numerous occasions. I just can't get into the city, because for me it doesn't have a city feel. It has the population of a city, and all the problems that goes along with that, but it still lacks the urban vibe/energy that I love so much.
Thats why I said she would probably be miserable in PHX or ATL, they just dont offer a big-city feel, even though they are. I have more fun in Chicago's suburbs than I ever did in PHX, if that gives you any clue.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:37 PM

6 posts, read 18,088 times
Thanks for the advice guys. This is actually my second transfer. I'll be at the place I pick next for a long time so I want to make a good choice.

I've only been to LA, DC, New York, Miami and Chicago. The rest is a mystery to me, but i'm learning!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:12 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,894 times
I'm also a 30 year old single female with no children. I agree with the above posters about Atlanta. It feels very suburban. It feels like it doesn't have an identity. I can't think of anything that's unique about it. If you like downtown Chicago then you will be so disappointed if and when you see downtown Atlanta.

When I was in Chicago earlier this year I was overwhelmed with all of the things to do. I went to Chicago alone. I don't have any friends or family there. I had so much fun with the events in Grant Park & Millenium Park, checking out the stores on Michigan Ave. and State St., checking out live blues at Blue Chicago, checking out Navy Pier, the aquarium & the zoo (penguins!), the Chicago Cultural Center, the N. Clark/W. Diversey area, the beach.......

I've only been to Newark going to & from NYC, waiting for the bus or the train....

Washington DC. I spent 2 months there after college. I like Georgetown and Dupont Circle, but I had much more fun during my 6 days alone in Chicago than my 2 months in DC, where I had friends. My friends are fun, but DC is just not that much fun. As far as being able to buy a house, I know someone who left DC in order to be able to buy a house. She moved back home to Ohio.

I love L.A. Last time I went there was in '01. I was there for a week. I loved the atmosphere, the sun & warm weather (it was October), the palm trees, the places to go & things to do....

I like NYC. I've been there many times and I lived there when I had an internship in Manhattan. But we all know about the cost of living there, so.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.