Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Rural New England outside of Boston, or Rural parts of the Bay Area...I'd recommend outside NYC too, but you have to go farther out, and harder to get in an out of the city. Bay Area and Boston get rural more quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Umm, okay....despite the fact we're talking about towns and not entire states.
I would imagine they dont' want to be isolated in a town, that was the point. Outside of Charleston, Savannah for instance is totally redneck. And no I am not hating, I consider areas outside of Chicago in IL, IN pretty hick also if you are venturing around, much less Southern Georgia and South Carolina.

The ones I recommended are the only ones I've experienced that stay pretty progressive and liberal throughout the surrounding areas. The Bay Area has lots of liberal areas all the way down the Central Coast and all the way up to Eureka for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM

39 posts, read 80,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Umm, okay....despite the fact we're talking about towns and not entire states.
It saves me from having to type every city in those states. The South is the South. Not happening.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:59 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
Here is another vote for new england. you can still be pretty close to a large city and have a rural county feel, that is as they say around here "country volvo"

Pick a state that suites you and narrow it down from there, they are all different in their own unique ways

Old 09-11-2013, 03:18 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I, for one, am happy the OP is keeping her bigotry away. It works both ways and bigotry is as offensive on the left as it is on the right.

I can appreciate someone wanting a "progressive" rural atmosphere but when it springs from such hate and narrow mindedness it makes my blood boil.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:10 PM

219 posts, read 285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Snap View Post
Looking for small towns and country living without the backwoods attitudes. The South is out. Progressive towns within close proximity to outdoor activities and the ocean.
People who judge whole entire regions based on lame pop culture stereotypes are demonstrating the very attitude you say you want to avoid

So, in other words, we can't take you seriously..... might I suggest Somalia for you?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 PM

No thanks to the South. Great, you live there and are happy with it. Good for you. Your posts only continue to lower my impressions of those states and reinforce the stereotypes.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:40 PM

219 posts, read 285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Snap View Post
No thanks to the South. Great, you live there and are happy with it. Good for you. Your posts only continue to lower my impressions of those states and reinforce the stereotypes.
I live in Arizona.... but thanks for letting everyone know that you are an intolerant bigot who relies on baseless stereotypes.

We are so glad to help out people who ask for help while insulting large portions of the country

I found another place for you...... North Korea....

Old 09-11-2013, 07:12 PM

Sorry to disappoint you but I have had many experiences in the South. Not some place I would like to return to. I find it a little scary that you would want to kick someone out of America because they don't agree with you. You must be a Republican.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:51 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Burlington VT is the first place that came to mind. Small city in a rural setting, not too close to major cities (Montreal is close to 2 hrs away). Progressive and educated populace. Another idea if Burlington is too large, Middlebury, VT isn't much more than a village, but has a small college, is at the foot of the Green Mountains, has some good breweries nearby, etc.

But beware, parts of VT and NH can be just as booger-eating as the rural south stereotype you have in mind.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
OK, so what areas that are rural in the south and progressive that have been named? While OP might be being terse, is she wrong?

Most rural south is completely dark red in voting maps and some of the most religious conservative areas of the entire country.

Esp the ones suggested such as Savannah and Charleston, the only "blue" on the maps anywhere around there is for black voters and they are often socially conservative, highly religious, but vote fiscally democrat.

There are progressive areas in the south, are they rural? Not really.

The rural areas around Boston and Bay Area are often solid blue and you are likely to see people driving volvos and VW vans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.