Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 12:16 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You can when there is 18 million other people.

That’s like calling The US a Polynesian country because Guam and Hawaii are in the middle of the Pacific.

Or France a Tropical Country because of Guiana and the French Caribbean.
Neither of these examples are analogous to the point being debated concerning the Florida panhandle. Someone basically called it uninhabited which is a bit silly especially considering the fact that it receives scores of tourists every year. Obviously it's not as heavily populated as south and central Florida, but there are people in the panhandle.

That said, I also understand why AL and FL was mentioned as an example. Practically every state is going to be similar to neighboring states around the border so that goes without saying. But taking the entirety of both states into account, there are certainly pronounced differences between AL and FL, more than the differences between GA and FL. I'd even say the panhandle represents a different type of Gulf Coast compared to Alabama (and westward to Texas). Mobile, coastal MS, New Orleans, and Houston all seem to have a certain kinship that Pensacola and the rest of the panhandle are excluded from due to the former group of cities having ports, more palpable French/Creole influences, the prominence of the oil and gas industry, a more prominent agricultural legacy, etc. Plantation slavery also wasn't even much of a thing in Pensacola in contrast to much of the rest of the Gulf Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 01:07 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Of course they do, with a population of about 1.4 million. The Panhandle is derided and written off by a lot of people, but it's one of the most beautiful parts of Florida.
lol Bathwater Beaches

Old 12-23-2019, 01:57 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
lol Bathwater Beaches

If those are bathwater beaches, then South Florida would be hot tub beaches.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:57 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
If those are bathwater beaches, then South Florida would be hot tub beaches.
Not exactly. its closer to the Atlantic Ocean which is more flowing than Gulf Water. From Tampa to New Orleans the water is the warmest because its the most sessile of the water. Go to Eastern Atlantic Beaches of the same latitude and the water is ~10 degrees cooler Atlantic side will stay cooler than Floribama beaches most of the year because of current water flow.

Heres a map if you're a bit confused:
https://www.weather.gov/images/phi/SEwaterTemps.gif

Old 12-23-2019, 03:10 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Not exactly. its closer to the Atlantic Ocean which is more flowing than Gulf Water. From Tampa to New Orleans the water is the warmest because its the most sessile of the water. Go to Eastern Atlantic Beaches of the same latitude and the water is ~10 degrees cooler Atlantic side will stay cooler than Floribama beaches most of the year because of current water flow.

Heres a map if you're a bit confused:
https://www.weather.gov/images/phi/SEwaterTemps.gif

No confusion here, I know the state like the back of my hand.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:00 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
West Virginia across the lot for this reason. The state borders other states that have at least one major city, or in Virginias case, has a large chunk of a major metro area within state lines. WV doesn't have this, nor do they have anything that is similar to moderate-sized metros like Lexington KY or Richmond VA. Charleston is the largest city and metro in the state. There are suburbs in this country that have more population than Charlestons metro.

There are similarities to WV to their neighboring states, but overall WV doesn't have any kind of major or moderately-sized metro center of population. This is going to contribute to cultural differences. I imagine the bordering states also tend to look down on WV as well. Kind of like how the rest of the South views Mississippi a la "Thank God for Mississippi".

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 12-25-2019 at 10:22 PM..

Old 09-24-2020, 03:27 PM

771 posts, read 625,460 times
Oklahoma and Colorado barely border each other, and they're pretty darn different. However, eastern Colorado is part of the Great Plains akin to Oklahoma.

I would also agree with West Virginia. West Virginia has under 2 million people and Ohio has over 10 million people, yet the two states share a long border (Ohio River). In addition, West Virginia is predominately Appalachian and Border South while Ohio is Midwestern. Granted, there are similarities between the two states, but Charleston, WV and Columbus are less than three hours apart and I'm sure they feel like different worlds to some extent.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:21 PM

613 posts, read 327,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Oklahoma and Colorado barely border each other, and they're pretty darn different. However, eastern Colorado is part of the Great Plains akin to Oklahoma.

I would also agree with West Virginia. West Virginia has under 2 million people and Ohio has over 10 million people, yet the two states share a long border (Ohio River). In addition, West Virginia is predominately Appalachian and Border South while Ohio is Midwestern. Granted, there are similarities between the two states, but Charleston, WV and Columbus are less than three hours apart and I'm sure they feel like different worlds to some extent.
WV and MD is also a good one. Only Western Maryland which is part of Appalachia has similarities to West Virginia, otherwise Maryland is East coast, metropolitan and West Virginia is rural, Appalachian. Western Maryland is also rural and Pittsburgh Steeler country (like West Virginia) which is different than the rest of Maryland who roots for the Baltimore Ravens and Washington Football Team.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:46 AM

668 posts, read 470,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'd say NJ and DE and NJ and PA. NJ and NY are pretty alike in the areas around NYC, but once you hit upstate NY, outside the metro region, it's nothing like NJ, NYC, or LI.

Even south and north Jersey are different so it's hard to say but in general I don't think DE and PA are much like NJ for the most part.

Disagree entirely. I live in central NJ and we are a LOT like DE and PA. The only part of the state that ISN'T like these 2 states is North jersey, which is a region. Not the whole state.

Old 09-26-2020, 03:52 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I mean the state as a whole. Like North Florida is similar to Alabama and Georgia, but the rest of state is not for example. Here's a few I know off the top of my head.

Georgia/Florida
Alabama/Florida
Oklahoma/Colorado
Illinois/Kentucky
Tenessee/Missouri
Pennsylvania/West Virginia
California/Oregon. Far North California is basically Oregon anyways, lol.
Texas and New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.