Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is OH more like the Dakotas than like the Northeast?
Yes, because it's Midwestern 8 9.88%
No, despite being Midwestern I still think it's more like the Northeast 73 90.12%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Toledo is surrounded by flat farm country.
Toledo does not have a farm-based economy, though.
Toledo, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See especially section on "Economy". It has typical rust-belt industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Toledo does not have a farm-based economy, though.
Toledo, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See especially section on "Economy". It has typical rust-belt industries.

The only industry in Toledo is the Jeep plant. Toledo has no other industry. Just take a drive thru it and see for yourself.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The only industry in Toledo is the Jeep plant. Toledo has no other industry. Just take a drive thru it and see for yourself.
I should have said, "had" typical rust-belt industries. Take a drive through Rapid City and see the difference.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:56 PM

168 posts, read 251,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Sounds like a trolling post to riff on that idiotic "Ohio is REALLY part of the Northeast!!!!" ongoing theme here....
Agree. Ohio is the quintessential "Midwestern" state. You cannot get anymore Midwest than the state that started it all. If one wants a differentiation for the flat landlocked states that usurp and are apparently much more Midwest than Ohio is, try calling your states the Great Plains, it fits better and you won't have that pesky history thing coming in and screwing up your need to bash the Buckeye State.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
Agree. Ohio is the quintessential "Midwestern" state. You cannot get anymore Midwest than the state that started it all. If one wants a differentiation for the flat landlocked states that usurp and are apparently much more Midwest than Ohio is, try calling your states the Great Plains, it fits better and you won't have that pesky history thing coming in and screwing up your need to bash the Buckeye State.
I think this was certainly true at one time, when Ohio was viewed as the 'heart' of the country. But the population of the US has grown and shifted westward since then, and there are far more people living west of the Mississippi then there used to be. The concept of the Midwest has expanded and changed. I feel like Ohio is too diverse, too populated, and too industrialized to be the "quintessential Midwest" under its current common definition.

Last edited by lerner; 09-25-2013 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Honestly I'd call Illinois more quintessentially Midwestern than Ohio.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
I think this was certainly true at one time, when Ohio was viewed as the 'heart' of the country. But the population of the US has grown and shifted westward since then, and there are far more people living west of the Mississippi then there used to be. The concept of the Midwest has expanded and changed. I feel like Ohio is too diverse, too populated, and too industrialized to be the "quintessential Midwest" under its current common definition.
The definition didn't change? Those states that are west of the Mississippi that were all created after Ohio are the ones who are aping the term Midwest, when it originally referred to Ohio and the Northwest Territory. So like I said if The Dakotas, Nebraska whatever wants to coin a new term for themselves they are more than welcome to it, but Midwest includes and centers on Ohio just like it always has.

btw I don't live in Ohio and so have no dog in the fight, my dad's family is from Ohio and I spent some summers there as a kid, I love the place, and it's definitely Midwestern.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
The definition didn't change? Those states that are west of the Mississippi that were all created after Ohio are the ones who are aping the term Midwest, when it originally referred to Ohio and the Northwest Territory. So like I said if The Dakotas, Nebraska whatever wants to coin a new term for themselves they are more than welcome to it, but Midwest includes and centers on Ohio just like it always has.

btw I don't live in Ohio and so have no dog in the fight, my dad's family is from Ohio and I spent some summers there as a kid, I love the place, and it's definitely Midwestern.
Nobody is trying to coin a new term. The Census Bureau defines the Midwest and includes the Great Lakes states and the Great Plains states. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Nobody is trying to coin a new term. The Census Bureau defines the Midwest and includes the Great Lakes states and the Great Plains states. Why is this so difficult to understand?
The Census didn't invent the term Midwest, and your condescending smiley faces don't add to your argument. The top question says "Is OH more like the Dakotas than like the Northeast?" sort of insinuating that Ohio is a Northeastern state, then the poll question says "No, despite being Midwestern I still think it's more like the Northeast" again insinuating that there is some "real" Midwest, and then there's Ohio. Well historic fact goes against both insinuations, Ohio is the original Midwestern state, people getting butthurt in the plains or Illinois about being more Midwestern than the Buckeye state need to grab a history book.

Now, here's the coining a new term part I was talking about, if you think as an Illini, a Nebraskan, a Dakotan, or whatever you may be, that you are more Midwestern than an Ohioan, you need to come up with a new term because Midwest already has a longstanding definition. Now it's really not that hard to understand at all, I'd think.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,036 times
Ohio is a pretty urban state with three large cities (The three C's), 3 midsized cities (Dayton, Toledo, and Akron), a lot of smaller cities (Sandusky, Youngstown, Athens, Zanesville), and a lot of towns. It is the 7th most populous state with 11.5 million people and it is nothing at all like the Dakotas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.