Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 04:25 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Check out this video. Fast forward to the 2:33 mark. As much as the woman in the video tries to sound all dignified, she can't but help it when she says, "But we would take the buses right thayer to Franklin Pahk."

Why I Love Roxbury - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I had a hard time finding good examples as well. It seems as though the "Black Boston Dialect" hasn't been well documented or studied like African American dialects in other cities. Unless someone is a Boston area local or has spent some time living there, it's very difficult to have a great perspective on it.
I lived there way longer than I ever wanted to. But even if you've never lived in Boston, that accent can be picked up from a mile away. It's like a New York accent. Even AA Bostonians who come from towns like Milton and Quincy tend to have an accent on the milder side.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:31 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I couldn't find a good example of a Boston AA accent. I tried "Roxbury," "Dorchester," "Mattapan," etc. No good videos where you can just focus in on the accent. This was the best I could find.

YouthBuild, Residents Join in Roxbury Cleanup - YouTube

But these kids are fairly mild compared to most residents of, say, Dorchester. You can still hear the Boston accent...it's just milder. But I personally met many people while living there who say "Bawstin, Bay-beee!" It's a very strong accent even in the AA community.
Bobby Brown and the rest of the New Edition crew speak with a Boston AA accents.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:48 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Bobby Brown and the rest of the New Edition crew speak with a Boston AA accents.
Here is Bobby Brown in an interview. How does his accent sound to you?

bobby brown interview with matt lauer part 1 - YouTube

Old 09-24-2013, 06:50 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times
Quote:
Here is Bobby Brown in an interview. How does his accent sound to you?

bobby brown interview with matt lauer part 1 - YouTube
I could hear a bit of it. Especially in 0:58 when he said "started crying" without the R. His accent sounded stronger in "Being Bobby Brown". And his accent doesn't have much, or any Southern influence neither.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:33 AM

320 posts, read 578,307 times
Lol... I guess black americans from different regions don't have too many differences in accents if most of them have southern influence. And what about the Caribbean american fusion with black americans? We got all these half Jamaican half black americans running around here but no language differences?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:58 AM

183 posts, read 298,369 times
Quote:
The thing with Atlanta is that over the past few decades, there has been a huge number African Americans migration to Atlanta that come all over the country. African Americans from Northern cities bring their dialects with them. As a result of this, overtime it can start to have an influence on the local dialect of Atlanta.
I've noticed here in Atlanta, many of the black transplants move to Cobb County and Gwinnett Counties in much larger numbers than other areas. In Cobb and Gwinnett you really don't too much hear alot of blacks with a southern sounding accents. However, if you go over to the westside or eastsides of Atlanta, there aren't a whole lot of transplants at all and just about everyone has a very strong southern accent and that isn't going anywhere anytime soon as you couldn't pay most of the transplants who move here to move over there

Old 09-25-2013, 01:37 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,640 times
Lots of blacks have southern accents. But they don't have that nasal speaking or twang .

I don't know why more whites that have that.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 PM

This is an AA Boston accent.

Accent Tag (Boston) - YouTube

Old 09-25-2013, 01:57 PM

Here is the AA Philly accent.

My Accent Challenge Philly - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.