Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:50 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,020 times

Advertisements

I am extremely interested in visiting the Northwest, don't have anything against the upper Midwest states, but don't care for the Northeast region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 03:02 PM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
I grew up in the South and have lived most of my adult life in the Pacific NW. One thing that I think makes a huge difference is the immigrants that settled in the South (mostly Scots Irish & English) versus the North (mostly German & Scandinavian) and how the culture has differed because of that ever since. Of course the fact that the South had slavery and the large number of blacks also caused a huge difference in the two regions. I also think climate affects the outlook on life as well.

In general, Southerners value enjoyment of life and relaxing and Northerners are more focused on work and achievements. I think from a long time now it's been, go North if you want to advance your career and lifestyle, go South if you want to enjoy life.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:45 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're right about the North being so heavily populated by later waves of immigrants and that therefore many Northerners are descendants not from Civil War era folks, but later immigrants. However, the same cannot be said for Southerners in general, many of whom ARE directly descended from people who have been living in the South since long before the Civil War, black and white alike. It's a totally different personal history. My ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War (both sides) and the Civil War (also both sides, but predominately the southern side). Many Southerners know their ancestry and who fought in which wars very well, and that plays into their interest in the Civil War. (For instance, family lore has it that one of my ancestors was shot through the jaw in the Civil War, and they soaked a rag in whiskey, ran it through the wound, and he lived another 40 or so years! His name was Lafayette. That's pretty cool. I also had a great great great great great grandmother and grandfather who were medics together and who treated the wounded of many major battles, traveling the tragic road to each bloody battlefield together.)

Maybe since many northerners DON'T have that connection to the Civil War, that's one reason why they're just not as interested.
Yeah, when it comes to the war, I don't really feel much of a personal connection. No part of my family even lived in this country at that time.

That has its benefits. I can easily disassociated myself from the North if any Southerner ever wants to talk about the war with me.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:45 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,127,937 times
My view of the North is generally positive to neutral. I have traveled all over the country and find that there are good people, and bad people, in ever city and state.

I mainly think of the North in terms of geography and climate. I don't think I could handle living in a colder climate than I already do. The idea depresses me, frankly.

As far as some general stereotypes about the people, I'll admit that my general inclination is that people in the north and upper midwest seem to be less-friendly overall. I also find midwesterners to be rather staid and lacking in some of the joie de vivre that I find more common in the South. I seem to find less "characters" and story-tellers up North and more passive aggression and formality.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:04 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,060 times
Sobbing, tears streaming from my eyes, I fall to my knees with my gaze up towards the rain, screaming the name "LINCOLN!" from the top of my lungs whenever I think of the North.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:51 PM

448 posts, read 591,377 times
While I'm not from the South but I'm from the Southern part of the country.....New Mexico. People from here don't venture out much and probably never even think about the North or the South or any state that's not bordering it. If someone from here goes on vacation, most likely it's to Texas, Colorado, Arizona, CA or Vegas.

I remember thinking that Cleveland seems so foreign to me that I'm surprised people live there lol. We just never hear anything about the Northern states and don't ever meet people from up there.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:21 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,952,148 times
As a native Southwesterner I view the Northeast as an elitist Mecca of "well on the East Coast we..."

Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
As a native Southwesterner I view the Northeast as an elitist Mecca of "well on the East Coast we..."
As a native Southerner, I view the Northeast as an elitist Mecca of "well on the East Coast we...

I actually thought the South was the only region that caught that crap. Glad to hear, they are spreading it around.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:06 AM

412 posts, read 545,309 times
I think it's just a place in another part of the country. I think of the northeast in particular being diverse and urban. Has it's plusses and minuses.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:44 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,525,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funyun88 View Post
My home town has a population of slightly over 10,000 people and is the largest town in the county and the surrounding three counties. I live outside the city limits and have no access to broadband internet which is only a slight inconvenience where in a (CITY) metropolis it would be an emergency situation. In the (COUNTRY) I know we live a slower paced life more disconnected and unconcerned by the rest of the country. We are more free I often shoot my guns in my backyard and can carry a pistol in my truck without a concealed carry permit because it is commonplace and considered a persons right in the small town south. People often ride ATVs and tractors on the highways. people who don't hunt and fish are uncommon and most people here think that (CITY FOLK) would die within a week in the woods even if they were armed and outfitted with the best survival gear. i myself have been hunting and fishing since I was very young like around 6 I had my first rifle when I was 5 a ruger 10/22 and most kids down here get the same, while in the north most probably never get at gun until they are adults.
Your post has zero to do with "The South" - the whole spiel could have come from anyone in my state's northwoods. I altered all the south/yankee to display the actual difference you're trying to explain - city vs rural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
As far as some general stereotypes about the people, I'll admit that my general inclination is that people in the north and upper midwest seem to be less-friendly overall. I also find midwesterners to be rather staid and lacking in some of the joie de vivre that I find more common in the South. I seem to find less "characters" and story-tellers up North and more passive aggression and formality.
I disagree with all of this, but you did say it was a "stereotype." So many good storytellers and characters around the state. I haven't found it to be any different in the south at all. And as for "joie de vivre?" Have you only visited depressed areas? I find the north far more energetic, though perhaps it's my own stereotypes coming through? Likely, there is very little difference between the regions on the points listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.