Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 06:02 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times

Advertisements

Football is more Baseball in most of the US. But there are some cities where Baseball is still the most popular sport.

The most obvious one I can think of is St Louis. Even when the Rams were great in the early 2000's. The Cardinals were still the most popular team in St Louis. And I can guess Baseball is about even or slightly more popular than Football in Chicago. With the Cubs being the most followed team in Chicago.

Are there any other North American city where Baseball is more popular than Football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 06:40 PM

24 posts, read 41,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Football is more Baseball in most of the US. But there are some cities where Baseball is still the most popular sport.

The most obvious one I can think of is St Louis. Even when the Rams were great in the early 2000's. The Cardinals were still the most popular team in St Louis. And I can guess Baseball is about even or slightly more popular than Football in Chicago. With the Cubs being the most followed team in Chicago.

Are there any other North American city where Baseball is more popular than Football.
Boston is another big one. I think Boston and St. Louis are obviously the two that stand out in most people's minds. New York is probably one to
One that people may not know is Kansas City. Kansas City is sort of like Chicago, as you mentioned in regards to Baseball being *slightly* more popular than Football. During the late 70's and early 80's when the Royals were actually competitive, my Dad (who grew up in KC) said that there was nothing bigger in KC than the Royals. Absolutely nothing. They have not made the post-season in 28 years (longest playoff drought in all pro sports) and have had 2 wnning seasons (the first being in 2003 and the second one being this season) in 20 years. And yet, the Royals STILL average 20,000 to 25,000 a game. The loyalty Kansas Citians have to the Royals is not matched by any other MLB city, in my opinion, except maybe Cubs fans. It's frustrating too because what the current ownership has done to the Royals franchise does not deserve the kind of loyalty, dedication, and support Kansas Citians give them. Last year when the Chiefs had their worst season (2-14) ever, the result was the first blacked out Chiefs game in decades. I think Chiefs fans tend to be a *tiny* bit more fairweather about the Chiefs than Royals fans are for the Royals. Hopefully George Brett will buy the team soon and turn the Royals into a consistently competitive and respectable team again, like Ewing Kauffman did so wonderfully. And KC can get a new ballpark built downtown and become one of the biggest baseball towns once again.

Oh and fun fact: From 1980 to 1989, the Royals had the 5th highest overall attendance in the MLB for that whole decade. Pretty amazing for being the second smallest MLB market behind Milwaukee.

1980-89 Ballpark Attendance Figures, Ballparks of Baseball

Last edited by Nanox; 09-29-2013 at 06:49 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 07:04 PM

309 posts, read 759,475 times
St. Louis

Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
In Phoenix more people are Diamondbacks fans than Cardinals (not that that's really saying much)

Old 09-29-2013, 08:45 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanox View Post
Boston is another big one. I think Boston and St. Louis are obviously the two that stand out in most people's minds. New York is probably one to
One that people may not know is Kansas City. Kansas City is sort of like Chicago, as you mentioned in regards to Baseball being *slightly* more popular than Football. During the late 70's and early 80's when the Royals were actually competitive, my Dad (who grew up in KC) said that there was nothing bigger in KC than the Royals. Absolutely nothing. They have not made the post-season in 28 years (longest playoff drought in all pro sports) and have had 2 wnning seasons (the first being in 2003 and the second one being this season) in 20 years. And yet, the Royals STILL average 20,000 to 25,000 a game. The loyalty Kansas Citians have to the Royals is not matched by any other MLB city, in my opinion, except maybe Cubs fans. It's frustrating too because what the current ownership has done to the Royals franchise does not deserve the kind of loyalty, dedication, and support Kansas Citians give them. Last year when the Chiefs had their worst season (2-14) ever, the result was the first blacked out Chiefs game in decades. I think Chiefs fans tend to be a *tiny* bit more fairweather about the Chiefs than Royals fans are for the Royals. Hopefully George Brett will buy the team soon and turn the Royals into a consistently competitive and respectable team again, like Ewing Kauffman did so wonderfully. And KC can get a new ballpark built downtown and become one of the biggest baseball towns once again.

Oh and fun fact: From 1980 to 1989, the Royals had the 5th highest overall attendance in the MLB for that whole decade. Pretty amazing for being the second smallest MLB market behind Milwaukee.

1980-89 Ballpark Attendance Figures, Ballparks of Baseball
Yea, I was going to mention KC, but figured people would think I'm crazy. People think KC is all about the Chiefs, but that so not true at all.

But there are still a few cities out there that are just baseball nuts.

Number one is St Louis by a mile. People have no idea how crazy StL is about their Cardinals. StL would be followed by Boston and then Chicago would be a pretty distant third, the Bears are quite popular in Chicago, but MLB is still king.

Most other cities I think are pretty evenly split. Sure, NFL is more popular on TV, but it's focused into just 16 days while MLB is spread out over 160. It takes a lot of fans to support a MLB team.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:53 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
LA and the dodgers they don't have an nfl team

Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Do you mean just where the local MLB team is more popular than the local NFL team? I doubt there are more St. Louis kids packing high school baseball games than their football counterparts, or that college alumni living in St. Louis gather to watch their alma maters play baseball more than football. The Cardinals are simply more popular than the Rams, a franchise pretty much rented from L.A.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
NYC - Baseball is number 2 in Philly but the Eagles still reign supreme

Old 09-30-2013, 12:36 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I disagree with Chicago loving baseball more than football. It's very much a Bears town.

I think St. Louis, New York, and Boston wins this.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
2013 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

The Dodgers led MLB in attendance throughout this year, even when they were in last place in the standings. Considering LA's NFL's attendance is exactly zero, I think the answer to this question is pretty obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.