Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM

84 posts, read 244,382 times

Advertisements

We're a young family, both in our early 30's, with cute little girl that was born just two months ago.
We have been living in NYC for the last 10 yrs. And at this point of our lives, when we'd like to settle down and a have a small child to raise, we're considering if NYC is really a good city to live.
As I see it, it all boils down to the benjamins. Anywhere in the U.S. would be a good place to live if are making enough money to sustain a good living standard. Nontheless, it feels like here you have to make A LOT of money to have a living standard that elsewhere in the country could be done with much less. Our H/H income is in the 130k range, and even at that level, we think is not so great. NYC is a city full of opportunities, but it's a VERY expensive one too.
Like most families, we'd like to buy a place we can call home, but given the sky-high prices for RE here, that is becoming a dream that seems to be getting out of our reach now.
So, that brings me to the question. And I know it's an open ended one, but what cities in the U.S. would you recommend for a young family like ours?
Would we be able to find good paying jobs elsewhere?
I currently work as a software/systems analyst, for a local government agency, and I feel my experience might not be as easily transferable. My wife, however, has an MBA in accounting, currently works as an external auditor and is about to get her CPA license from NYS. I think she would have an easier time, finding a job elsewhere.
Anyway, what do you guys think?
Would you move? would you stay in nyc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on-wheels View Post
We're a young family, both in our early 30's, with cute little girl that was born just two months ago.
We have been living in NYC for the last 10 yrs. And at this point of our lives, when we'd like to settle down and a have a small child to raise, we're considering if NYC is really a good city to live.
As I see it, it all boils down to the benjamins. Anywhere in the U.S. would be a good place to live if are making enough money to sustain a good living standard. Nontheless, it feels like here you have to make A LOT of money to have a living standard that elsewhere in the country could be done with much less. Our H/H income is in the 130k range, and even at that level, we think is not so great. NYC is a city full of opportunities, but it's a VERY expensive one too.
Like most families, we'd like to buy a place we can call home, but given the sky-high prices for RE here, that is becoming a dream that seems to be getting out of our reach now.
So, that brings me to the question. And I know it's an open ended one, but what cities in the U.S. would you recommend for a young family like ours?
Would we be able to find good paying jobs elsewhere?
I currently work as a software/systems analyst, for a local government agency, and I feel my experience might not be as easily transferable. My wife, however, has an MBA in accounting, currently works as an external auditor and is about to get her CPA license from NYS. I think she would have an easier time, finding a job elsewhere.
Anyway, what do you guys think?
Would you move? would you stay in nyc?
Is there anything else that you are looking for in a place to live? Do you want to stay in NY State or are you looking to go somewhere out of the state/region?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 AM

84 posts, read 244,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is there anything else that you are looking for in a place to live? Do you want to stay in NY State or are you looking to go somewhere out of the state/region?
We like the suburbs of NY, espcially Westchester co. but the prices for a condo/house there are just too high for a middle class family like us to afford. And I'm not even talking property taxes -one of the highest in the country-.
Right now, we live in a pretty small 2br (approx 650 sqf) and pay $1,500 for it. And it's not even in Manhattan!
The only thing that keeps us here is the job market, where both of us, have seen steady increases in salary and responsabilities. We were making 70k three years ago (didn't have a baby back then, though) and now we're at 130k. I don't know of anywhere else, where you could go up the pay scale that fast.

I do like some of the upstate cities, but know very little about them. Much less about their job market for our professions.

Despite living in a concrete jungle, we both enjoy nature a lot. We like to go camping, hiking, kayaking and cycling. We are used to cold weather but wouldn't mind living in a warmer area.
We are both philosophically left leaning progressives so some of the cultural aspects of the southern U.S. are not as desirable for us.

Oregon, Washington state and Colorado are some of the states we would consider moving if we had to move out of NY, but we're definitely open to others.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Just for the job end of it you might like the DC area, which is pricey, but still less so than NYC. The thing is that there are plenty of jobs in the area for professionals. (And dont worry about sequestration ad budget cuts. There are loads of private employers too.) You also have the benefit of better schools in many of the suburbs, along with decent mass transit and access to cultural amenities. An income of 130 thou that is expected to grow would do OK here. And as with most big expensive cities, the more affordable nice suburbs tend to be farther out. That might make a difference but might not, as the suburbs of DC are sturated with employers and manynpeople dont work in the city at all.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Long Island. Still have NYC right at your fingertaps but pay less for everything on the whole.

I'm a huge believer in you get what you pay for so while LI is more than expensive than most areas of the country, I think it is THE BEST place to raise a family. Also the Northeast as a whole is the most educated- the education system in this area is far better than anywhere else in the country. LI has better schools than NYC but still NYC's schools far surpass most schools in the country.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on-wheels View Post
We like the suburbs of NY, espcially Westchester co. but the prices for a condo/house there are just too high for a middle class family like us to afford. And I'm not even talking property taxes -one of the highest in the country-.
Right now, we live in a pretty small 2br (approx 650 sqf) and pay $1,500 for it. And it's not even in Manhattan!
The only thing that keeps us here is the job market, where both of us, have seen steady increases in salary and responsabilities. We were making 70k three years ago (didn't have a baby back then, though) and now we're at 130k. I don't know of anywhere else, where you could go up the pay scale that fast.

I do like some of the upstate cities, but know very little about them. Much less about their job market for our professions.

Despite living in a concrete jungle, we both enjoy nature a lot. We like to go camping, hiking, kayaking and cycling. We are used to cold weather but wouldn't mind living in a warmer area.
We are both philosophically left leaning progressives so some of the cultural aspects of the southern U.S. are not as desirable for us.

Oregon, Washington state and Colorado are some of the states we would consider moving if we had to move out of NY, but we're definitely open to others.
Outside of the information I PM'ed you and given the type of suburbs that you like, you may be interested in these Upstate NY communities: http://www.manliusvillage.org/
http://www.fayettevilleny.gov/ (Both are in the same school district)
Home Page - Town of Manlius, NY

Brighton, NY - Official Website

Village of Pittsford: Home Page
Town of Pittsford

Village of Williamsville

Official Website for the Town of Amherst, NY

Village Of Orchard Park, NY
Town Of Orchard Park: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Orchard Park - A Great Place to Live, Work, and Play | The Orchard Park Chamber of Commerce -- Orchard Park, NY 14127, 716.662.3366

Village of East Aurora, NY
East Aurora New York - Home of Fisher-Price
GREATER EAST AURORA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

Town Of DeWitt - Onondaga County, New York. Established Since 1835.

Victor, NY - Official Website
Destination Victor NY - Gateway to the fascinating Finger Lakes Region of New York State
Victor Chamber of Commerce - Home

Town of Bethlehem, NY
Delmar, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Town of Niskayuna, NY - Town Departments

Welcome to Guilderland, New York
Village of Altamont, New York

Official Marcellus, New York Web Site

Village of Groton, N.Y.
Home

Trumansburg Area Chamber of Commerce
Village of Trumansburg

Or: Official Website of Ithaca, NY
Visit Ithaca, NY - Official Site for Ithaca, NY & Tompkins County

and some others........

Old 03-01-2013, 02:39 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Outside of the information I PM'ed you and given the type of suburbs that you like, you may be interested in these Upstate NY communities: http://www.manliusvillage.org/
http://www.fayettevilleny.gov/ (Both are in the same school district)
Home Page - Town of Manlius, NY

Brighton, NY - Official Website

Village of Pittsford: Home Page
Town of Pittsford

Village of Williamsville

Official Website for the Town of Amherst, NY

Village Of Orchard Park, NY
Town Of Orchard Park: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Orchard Park - A Great Place to Live, Work, and Play | The Orchard Park Chamber of Commerce -- Orchard Park, NY 14127, 716.662.3366

Village of East Aurora, NY
East Aurora New York - Home of Fisher-Price
GREATER EAST AURORA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

Town Of DeWitt - Onondaga County, New York. Established Since 1835.

Victor, NY - Official Website
Destination Victor NY - Gateway to the fascinating Finger Lakes Region of New York State
Victor Chamber of Commerce - Home

Town of Bethlehem, NY
Delmar, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Town of Niskayuna, NY - Town Departments

Welcome to Guilderland, New York
Village of Altamont, New York

Official Marcellus, New York Web Site

Village of Groton, N.Y.
Home

Trumansburg Area Chamber of Commerce
Village of Trumansburg

Or: Official Website of Ithaca, NY
Visit Ithaca, NY - Official Site for Ithaca, NY & Tompkins County

and some others........
Dont forget about Rochester

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Given your professions and desire to for less expensive living (and much lower taxes) I would recommend Atlanta. It's one of the main economic engines in the US and would offer you many options in terms of jobs and plenty for your wife. Housing is quite affordable and there are a number of great school districts to choose from. For school quality, family-friendliness and home prices check out the close-in northeast suburbs of North Decatur and North Druid Hills.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amherstmom View Post
Hi, id just like to suggest the suburbs of Buffalo. We came here from Long Island 5 years ago and I was very nervous!! I did not know a thing about it except I heard it snowed a lot! I did not know a soul when I came here, didn't know where anything was...I was a fish out of water! I just want to tell you, I love it here! I would not go back to LI if you paid me! We are in Snyder which is a part of Amherst..which is beautiful. Other towns to consider are Williamsville and Clarence. The only bad part about Snyder which I really wish someone had told us, is the elementary school is fantastic but then when you get to the Middle and High Schools they are combined with other areas of Amherst which are not so great. If I had to do it again, I may have chosen Williamsville or Clarence for this reason only.. You also have the option of going the private school route if you can afford it.
Pros of The Buffalo Suburbs:
The People are so nice here and very welcoming!
Every place you go takes no longer than 15 minutes...REALLY!
The drivers are considerate! Although the Buffalo natives will tell you different, I always tell them to spend a week in NYC or Long Island!
Our summers and falls are so beautiful. The humidity is much less than LI
The food here is really good. You just need to find the right restaurants to go to. My top picks Hutches & San Marco for dinner. The Clarence Center Coffee House or Break & Eggs for Breakfest, and Rachels in williamsville for lunch. Marcos Italian deli is the best for sandwiches and one of the only places to sell Boars Head! Just don't order anything anywhere with red sauce if your used to the Italian food in LI. It just wont be good..
The shopping and salons are just as good as LI. The walden galleria has the same stores as Roosevelt Field but it takes 10 minutes to get to, no traffic!
WEGMANS!! Wegmans grocery store is an experience in itself! Cant say enough good things about it! Just go!!
The House Prices are a fraction of the cost of LI! You will be amazed at what you can get here for $250k!
Cons
The long dreary gray winters!! Every year from id say right after Christmas to about the end of april there is NO SUN!!! It is the weirdest thing! I think it has something to do with the lakes that surround us. But this is another thing I really wish I was told! I knew about the snow and the cold, no biggie right? But NO SUN??? wtf?? Plan a vacation to a sunny part of the world in February otherwise you will be very depressed!
Honestly this is the ONLY con that I can think of.
One more but I do not consider this a con but some may. The pace here is definitely slower than LI. Also People seem different at first, not really "getting" our sense of humor. They are a lot more considerate and sensitive here, you will pick that up right away! Good Luck and hope this helps whoever is reading this!
Amherst is still a very good school district overall and even those other areas of Amherst have good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.