Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 PM

149 posts, read 467,648 times

Advertisements

That would be "diverse area" in the title.

I've been considering relocation for a while. I have been discussing suggestions. I have noticed that people only suggest cities and neighborhoods that are very diverse. A few times I have mentioned certain places, I have been told "oh, I don't think you would like it there, it isn't a lot of diversity.

Diversity is something I could take or leave. Now, I don't avoid diversity, but a lack of diversity isn't a dealbreaker. What is a dealbreaker is racial intolerance. But not every homogeneous neighborhood is racially intolerant.

Any minorities or LGBT people who doesn't find living in a diverse are a high priority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 06:15 PM

93,419 posts, read 124,120,588 times
I think that even the word "diverse" is loaded term and can vary in terms of degree.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,461,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
That would be "diverse area" in the title.

I've been considering relocation for a while. I have been discussing suggestions. I have noticed that people only suggest cities and neighborhoods that are very diverse. A few times I have mentioned certain places, I have been told "oh, I don't think you would like it there, it isn't a lot of diversity.

Diversity is something I could take or leave. Now, I don't avoid diversity, but a lack of diversity isn't a dealbreaker. What is a dealbreaker is racial intolerance. But not every homogeneous neighborhood is racially intolerant.

Any minorities or LGBT people who doesn't find living in a diverse are a high priority?
im not a minority but the whole diversity thing is getting annoying. just go live wherever you wanna live and are comfortable there.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:10 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
I think people sometimes use "diversity" as a codeword for having a critical mass of one's particular minority group present. So someone might describe a town that's 70% White, 25% Black, and 5% "other" as diverse to a Black person who wants to live somewhere where a sizable (relative to the overall size of the town) share of the population is also Black.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:21 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times
I'm hispanic, I don't really care a about diversity. Aslong as no one bothers you and you live in a safe community , then race shouldn't matter. The only good thing about diversity is that it usually means you will have a wide variety of restaurants to eat at.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,404 times
As a Gay American, I choose to live in San Francisco because I want to be around people who are like me. People are not very accepting of homosexuals in other parts of the country

Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I'm hispanic, I don't really care a about diversity. Aslong as no one bothers you and you live in a safe community , then race shouldn't matter. The only good thing about diversity is that it usually means you will have a wide variety of restaurants to eat at.
It's usually not really about race per se, but more about culture.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:26 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,938,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
As a Gay American, I choose to live in San Francisco because I want to be around people who are like me. People are not very accepting of homosexuals in other parts of the country
Complete and total fallacy!

As a Gay American, I find the gay people who live in San Francisco arrogant and shallow. I also find things like Folsom Street Fair highly offensive and destructive to the gay movement.

I live in Savannah, GA ... one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and one of the most tolerant, openly-gay and accepting cities in the nation! We have gay bars, gay civic organizations, openly gay politicians, gay pride, gay beach weekend, and about an hour outside of town, surrounded by onion farms, a GAY NUDIST RESORT!

You're missing out on a lot by limiting yourself to a "gay ghetto" like SFO! I have been to the Castro many times, and it's not even the "gayest" neighborhood in America!

TO THE OP! Live where you want to live! This country is far more tolerant and accepting than this ^^^^ guy would want us to believe!

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-02-2013 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-02-2013, 12:03 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times
I am friends with a lesbian couple who live in OK (Norman, so probably the best area in the state for gays) and they find it difficult, mainly because they have children and it can be a bit hard with some attitudes they encounter.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
I would think that, for gay couples, the perception of acceptance may be less important than the actual rights afforded to them. This is probably more important to some than to others based on income level, individual access to health care, the need for survivorship benefits/inheritance, the raising of children, etc. While these issues are important to everyone, they can be especially important to those with more modest and/or limited means.

Some other things to consider would be the age and educational attainment demographics of one city vs. another given that acceptance for gay people is more highly correlated to the younger generations and the more highly educated. These may predict a better outcome than any specific diversity metric alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.