Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM

630 posts, read 1,264,590 times

Advertisements

People like to complain a lot about the harsh winters in places in the northern US. But I'm a cold natured person- I'd much rather be cold than hot, and living in Atlanta, that's just not the case most of the time. For those of you who hate heat and humidity, where do you think the weather starts becoming way too hot, humid and oppressive.

In the South, I'd say it's when you get below the Appalachian mountains. The southern appalachians themselves, even in Georgia, are very temperate, and never get too hot. Everything north of them is bordering on the continental climate. But south of that the heat can be brutal. I'd say it's an imaginary line stretching from Raleigh, south of Charlotte, Columbia SC, south of Atlanta and Birmingham- so I guess the fall line!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
For me, anywhere south of Washington to Cincinnati to St Louis gets too hot in the summer and not enough snow at all for my tastes in the winter.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Workaholics, you meant to say you are warm natured. Cold natured is when you can't take the cold. I know, it's weird, the two phrases

Hot is below the 40th parallel except in the higher elevations of Rockies, blue ridge mts and of course the west coast. Just my opinion as to how I would measure too hot.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I'm too hot when it gets in the high 70s so what do I know but another thing you should ask about is the length of the summer season. Some places like where I live have 4 seasons but Fall and Spring are very short here and it's not because of Winter. For example, I wear short sleeves outdoors well into October. Our "Fall" is typically only a month and a half long if you go by temperature. This year I had to turn the air conditioner on at the end of March but typically you definitely need it in May and definitely through September.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
For me, pretty much anywhere but the upper Pacific Northwest, parts of California, and maybe northern Maine. And there are probably some high elevation towns I could tolerate.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:54 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
I don't ever really get too hot unless I'm somewhere in Florida during the middle of the summer. Even then I can usually handle it.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
For me, pretty much anywhere but the upper Pacific Northwest, parts of California, and maybe northern Maine. And there are probably some high elevation towns I could tolerate.
About the same as this, but of course I'll include coastal Alaska and parts of Canada.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
The desert SW is the answer. It starts late May and doesn't let out until mid September. Please don't say "but its a dry heat".
This heat is worse because not only does it last so long but the lack of humidity won't allow for perspiration which is worse on the body. Sweating is suppose to cool you down and the lack of it by evaporation can cause heat stroke. If its windy, it will feel like a blow drier.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
In NYC area it gets too hot in July and August and a little earlier or later in the summer season.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
In the south, the only way to escape the heat is to go up in elevation.

Well, that or you can go to Cape Hatteras.

Atlanta (outside the urban heat island) actually has it pretty good compared to other cities like charlotte, greenville, columbia, knoxville, nashville and most others. Why? The elevation is higher.

You can't go by the fall line, gnat line or any other line. Elevation and individual microclimates have to be considered.
That said, best weather on the entire east coast, IMO.... Boone, NC It never even gets into the 80's. Second runner up would be asheville, NC. Real wimpy winter and the summer temps are fantastic although warmer than boone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.