U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:39 PM

492 posts, read 2,294,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Compared to the rest of the nation, Northeasterners do have a tendency to be rude and inconsiderate.

I was shocked at how impatient people were in New York, and they don't even hold doors for you!
You would be holding the door for hours if you tried. Trust me, it happened to me last week in NYC. I was just trying to be a polite, mid-western lad, and ended up waiting while an entire stampede exited the building. After that, I decided to roll NY-style and let the door slam in peoples faces. But then I was constantly looking over my shoulder an appologizing, which only caused disruptions to the flow of pedestrian traffic. I came to the conlusion that New Yorkers are New Yorkers out of necessity. You can't stop to be polite or you jeopardize the workings of that dynamic city of 8 million people.

By the way, I've only ever come in contact with one rude New Yorker in all the time I've spent there. She completely ignored me when I asked her how to get to Broadway. But I wasn't too upset about it. It was just funny to us...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Scranton, PA: Rusted-out, declined, ugly, dirty, decaying, behind the times, backwards, uneducated, dorky (thanks to "The Office"), insular
Minus the references to The Office, the same could be said about Youngstown, Ohio.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:50 PM

646 posts, read 745,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
You would be holding the door for hours if you tried. Trust me, it happened to me last week in NYC. I was just trying to be a polite, mid-western lad, and ended up waiting while an entire stampede exited the building. After that, I decided to roll NY-style and let the door slam in peoples faces. But then I was constantly looking over my shoulder an appologizing, which only caused disruptions to the flow of pedestrian traffic. I came to the conlusion that New Yorkers are New Yorkers out of necessity. You can't stop to be polite or you jeopardize the workings of that dynamic city of 8 million people.

By the way, I've only ever come in contact with one rude New Yorker in all the time I've spent there. She completely ignored me when I asked her how to get to Broadway. But I wasn't too upset about it. It was just funny to us...

You can't take for granted in NYC everyone speaks English. You can't go by race, like Caribbean Black or other Hispanic, Latino, many whites do not, they are Russian, Polish, Ukranian, Hungarian, Swedish, Norwegian, Italian, German, can be anything, residents or visiting or working at the UN or big foreign banks or whatever. I'm talking about the real things here, fresh, not Americans just simply saying of a certain 'ancestry'. These are people directly to and from EU and elsewhere. You're not in Kansas anymore when you're in NYC.

People are often in groups, so if you hold the door they might all follow one and continue to enter, by then you're dealing with another group, and part of the problem is not just the population coming and going but also on the smaller scale things are built. Entrances are limited, many have one or two doors open, everything is cramped, limited space and they make it that way.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:55 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 13,683,766 times
If I held the door each time I walked through one, I'd never get anywhere. Granted it is nice when a door is held for you on occasion, but it is certainly something I've never expected and I find it funny when people judge an entire city/state/region of the country based on whether or not they get the door held for them wherever they go.

What I find really annoying is the person 50 feet ahead of me who thinks they are being nice by holding the door for me making me hustle to get through it. Just let the door go and let me get there in my own time, by holding it you are just making things awkward.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:02 PM

32,209 posts, read 74,175,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
What I find really annoying is the person 50 feet ahead of me who thinks they are being nice by holding the door for me making me hustle to get through it. Just let the door go and let me get there in my own time, by holding it you are just making things awkward.
Wow. I do this all the time, and I never quite saw it from the perspective of the other person having to feel awkward and hustle. Thanks for enlightening me, as I'll stop doing this now.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:04 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,051,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Baltimore : See Detroit

(i know its not the midwest)
Atlanta: See Detriot.
It's the south but also parallel to Columbus, OH so it could be Midwestsoutheast

Old 11-18-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
You can't take for granted in NYC everyone speaks English. You can't go by race, like Caribbean Black or other Hispanic, Latino, many whites do not, they are Russian, Polish, Ukranian, Hungarian, Swedish, Norwegian, Italian, German, can be anything, residents or visiting or working at the UN or big foreign banks or whatever. I'm talking about the real things here, fresh, not Americans just simply saying of a certain 'ancestry'. These are people directly to and from EU and elsewhere. You're not in Kansas anymore when you're in NYC.

I see your point. However, this woman was coming out of one of the buildings near Wall Street and she looked very American business-womanish. And even if she didn't speak English, she still was rude! She could have muttered something in her native language to indicate that she didn't understand.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:09 PM

812 posts, read 3,919,594 times
I don't know about San Francisco being slow-paced like the OP said. It's very competitive and cutthroat in SF's professional realm, and people hustle as much as anywhere... the indie, slow paced stuff only happens on people's days off. I might even say it's faster paced than LA, it's just not being done at 100mph in your car on a freeway.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 40,547,712 times
Phoenix: A bit of everything here.

Flagstaff: 'Liberal' and 'Conservative' at the same time.

Tucson: heavy Mexican influence and old 'Anglo' money in the foothills.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:30 PM

646 posts, read 745,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
I see your point. However, this woman was coming out of one of the buildings near Wall Street and she looked very American business-womanish. And even if she didn't speak English, she still was rude! She could have muttered something in her native language to indicate that she didn't understand.
Well yeah they can certainly very well be. Often I might ask someone something too, they often just stare with a "s***t eating grin" bc they don't understand what you said in English. Often they don't need to know English, if you notice vitals such as cash atms, subway card machines are in selective languages. Among their groups they virtually operate within their own transplanted cultures. It was that way where I attended a Univ in the city in classes and labs.

People tend to flow toward their own groups linguistically. But most still know some or plenty of English. However, just bc someone is black it doesn't mean they know English like American black, often it's Spanish for Dominican, Puerto Rican, etc, French for Haitian and Dutch or French for the Guyanas, Martinique, Aruba, etc.

The city is checkerboard. Even Americans traveling in groups forget to say thank you bc they're trying to stick together and not get lost. If you hold the door in many places you'll be standing there forever without a notice as most people are in panic mode. They call that New York, it's a maelstrom. Everyone should it experience it at least one year out of their lives. But like everything else it gets old.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-18-2007 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.