U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:56 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,244,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
I shouldn't have said "no one". But incidents were very minimal and the figures low to make it seem relatively or virtually no one. By and large, well you know whatamean.
Yeah, in Manhattan incidents weren't too bad. But in northern Brooklyn and southern Queens, you can't really say the same.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 PM

333 posts, read 427,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yeah, they did. lol I remember walking by a shoe store during it... Broken windows.
There were very few arrested for looting - actually I believe the number was under 10 people total.

NYers - call them rude and arrogant, but they are the most helpful and caring of them all.

Here's a short story -

I was on a cruise ship a little over a year ago, the Crown Princess. It disembarked from NYC on July 11th, halfway through the Caribbean voyage, the 4,000 passenger ship violently turned to one side as if it were about to capsize. Thousands of people were thrown against walls, pinned under lounge chairs, hit by marble tables and chairs, dumped out of the pools, etc. After the ship righted itself (which I still consider a miracle), the crew on the ship were too injured to render assistance. The passengers, in bathing suits and bare feet, set up triage in the three dining rooms. One for bumps and bruises, another for broken limbs, and the third for critical injuries. Walking along the ship, these passengers were handing out life jackets, assisting the frightened elderly and lost children and set up a meeting place for families to reunite after the scary incident. These passengers were incredible.

A week after I got home, I read a story in the paper about the brave passengers who took control of the ship. You guessed it, they were all New Yorkers. A Princess executive got all of their names and addresses - there were a little under 30 of them. Every last one was from Long Island, New York's 5 boroughs or Westchester County.

Is that rude and arrogant to you? Helping in the time of need?

I have a new respect for New Yorkers. They are truly the most caring people I've ever met.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:04 PM

646 posts, read 745,220 times
Quote:
Yeah, in Manhattan incidents weren't too bad. But in northern Brooklyn and southern Queens, you can't really say the same.
Yeah, i heard some reports, and seemed relatively few, we were as you know "in the dark most of the time", no cell service, no tv, only radio. The only ones I heard about were in Brooklyn at that point.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:05 PM

646 posts, read 745,220 times
[quote=sliver203;2041335]There were very few arrested for looting - actually I believe the number was under 10 people total.

Really, what's 10 people compared to what could have been and considering the one that happened years ago before my time.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
There were very few arrested for looting - actually I believe the number was under 10 people total.

NYers - call them rude and arrogant, but they are the most helpful and caring of them all.

Here's a short story -

I was on a cruise ship a little over a year ago, the Crown Princess. It disembarked from NYC on July 11th, halfway through the Caribbean voyage, the 4,000 passenger ship violently turned to one side as if it were about to capsize. Thousands of people were thrown against walls, pinned under lounge chairs, hit by marble tables and chairs, dumped out of the pools, etc. After the ship righted itself (which I still consider a miracle), the crew on the ship were too injured to render assistance. The passengers, in bathing suits and bare feet, set up triage in the three dining rooms. One for bumps and bruises, another for broken limbs, and the third for critical injuries. Walking along the ship, these passengers were handing out life jackets, assisting the frightened elderly and lost children and set up a meeting place for families to reunite after the scary incident. These passengers were incredible.

A week after I got home, I read a story in the paper about the brave passengers who took control of the ship. You guessed it, they were all New Yorkers. A Princess executive got all of their names and addresses - there were a little under 30 of them. Every last one was from Long Island, New York's 5 boroughs or Westchester County.

Is that rude and arrogant to you? Helping in the time of need?

I have a new respect for New Yorkers. They are truly the most caring people I've ever met.
I will agree that after all the craziness that has been going on within the last decade, New York has experienced a good change. But still not good enough. 17 people dead in 1 week. 17 people wiped off the face of the Earth over a few bucks. In most cities, there will be days when nothing happens, but in NYC, something happens every day.

Yes, few people were arrested. But many of them were not caught... I'd guess about .5% of looters were caught... Maybe less.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I'd guess about .5% of looters were caught... Maybe less.
Eh...I disagree. There was looting, but not THAT much looting.

I guess we'll never find out, unless the NYPD releases information on the looting.

And something happens in NYC everyday because it's bigger than any other city in the US. People tend to think NYC is so dangerous when it's actually one of the safest cities nationwide to reside in.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:12 PM

10,649 posts, read 18,074,776 times
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, they did. lol I remember walking by a shoe store during it... Broken windows.
Ok, now I'm convinced you're really full of it.

You're 17, correct? So during the blackout of 2003, 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 13, you were wandering around NYC checking out broken store windows from this supposed looting? When you're from Scarsdale?

Stop trying to perpetuate this idea that NYC is so rough and dangerous. It's not. 10 arrests for a full on blackout in a city of 8 million? Anywhere else would have been mayhem (see Katrina)

Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

You're 17, correct? So during the blackout of 2003, 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 13, you were wandering around NYC checking out broken store windows from this supposed looting? When you're from Scarsdale?

Stop trying to perpetuate this idea that NYC is so rough and dangerous. It's not. 10 arrests for a full on blackout in a city of 8 million? Anywhere else would have been mayhem (see Katrina)
Agreed 100%.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

13 isn't young. I was with my parents. Hard to believe, isn't it?

Old 11-19-2007, 04:23 PM

10,649 posts, read 18,074,776 times
That your parents, being from Scarsdale, happened to be in Manhattan with their 13 year old child, at the exact time of the blackout, and decided to roam the streets with him, even after seeing the supposed dangerous "looting" happening... instead of trying to take him inside off of the big, bad looter filled Manhattan streets???

Yes, very hard to believe.

Just like how you happen to have already witnessed several muggings, robberies and shootings in NYC, at the age of 17, when you don't even live in the city... after multiple other posts from NYC residents tell their tales of how they've never really witnessed major crime and are happy to live in a safe city...

Very hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.