U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:30 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 13,689,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Wow. As a native NYer, that amazes me. But I guess you'll find good people anywhere.
As a frequent visitor related to native New Yorkers, it does not amaze me at all. I've, without fail, gotten help and excellent suggestions by people on the street ... and in once instance, an excellent unsolicited lunch suggestion given to me by a women who saw me standing off to the side looking at a map. She came up to me and asked in a thick Queens accent, 'what are you looking for' and I replied "lunch" and she pointed up the street saying 'there is a great little bistro a block over, you'll love it' and marched off. She was right, I did.

You have an awfully dim view of your fellow citizens.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 04:44 PM

15,402 posts, read 27,899,413 times
So, in summary, we have another stereotype:

New Yorkers can be rude, crude, and so cold they're almost cruel... until trouble happens. Then the hero appears (and usually a tough, strong hero).

Old 11-19-2007, 04:48 PM

Here's another stereotype that's sure to stir up some controversy:

1. Houston is a party town, a fun, fun place to live while the money is flowing. But when the money dries up it becomes deadly dull.

2. The money seems to dry up at least once a decade.

3. The two favorite initials are O & G!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:51 PM

I'm trying to think of a stereotype for Denver, and I can't think of anything except the nickname "Mile High City". I lived there for three years! Could it really be... a town without stereotypes?

Oh, most people there ski. That's a pretty blase stereotype, though.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:51 PM

333 posts, read 427,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
So, in summary, we have another stereotype:

New Yorkers can be rude, crude, and so cold they're almost cruel... until trouble happens. Then the hero appears (and usually a tough, strong hero).
Cruel???? You've got to be kidding me.

You must be very sheltered, my friend.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:01 PM

Nah, just thinking of my inlaws who live on Long Island. Have you ever seen that show "Everyone Loves Raymond"? Ray's mom and dad are just like my inlaws. The frequently say and do things that are petty and manipulative and cold--and they have no idea that their actions appear to be mean spirited--or, in other words, cruel. Just like Ray Romano's mom has no idea how cruel some of the things she says can be. But let me tell you, when the chips are down my inlaws are the sort of people who come through.

Actually, I've often wondered how New Yorkers view that show. Do you see Ray Romano's mother as being mean spirited and cruel (even if she is ultimately loving)? I really don't like the things she says to her family members... but I don't like the things they say back to her, either.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Nah, just thinking of my inlaws who live on Long Island. Have you ever seen that show "Everyone Loves Raymond"? Ray's mom and dad are just like my inlaws. The frequently say and do things that are petty and manipulative and cold--and they have no idea that their actions appear to be mean spirited--or, in other words, cruel. Just like Ray Romano's mom has no idea how cruel some of the things she says can be. But let me tell you, when the chips are down my inlaws are the sort of people who come through.

Actually, I've often wondered how New Yorkers view that show. Do you see Ray Romano's mother as being mean spirited and cruel (even if she is ultimately loving)? I really don't like the things she says to her family members... but I don't like the things they say back to her, either.
From what I've seen on Long Island, it's not very accurate.

The only truth to it is them being Italian, unable to 'cut the cord' and whining "maaaaaaaa" every time she hugs them too hard.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:10 PM

3,354 posts, read 6,446,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
But Northeastern people have the time to act rude and arrogant, give pompous and angry looks, and flick and curse anyone out for the most insignificant inconveniences. I can sort of understand how rushing for the sake of having a busy schedule can prohibit people enough time to be generous and can be misconceived as being rude, but if one is too busy being nice, shouldn't the same application apply of being too busy to be arrogant and hateful? Or is it just me who realizes this?
No, it's not just you. People are soooo busy -- too busy to offer a friendly gesture of any kind -- yet they'll find plenty of time to honk at you if you don't peel out at a green light, or yell at you if you don't get off the train fast enough, or flip you the bird as they pass you on the highway -- and cut you off. Grrrrrrr.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
No, it's not just you. People are soooo busy -- too busy to offer a friendly gesture of any kind -- yet they'll find plenty of time to honk at you if you don't peel out at a green light, or yell at you if you don't get off the train fast enough, or flip you the bird as they pass you on the highway -- and cut you off. Grrrrrrr.
Oh, stop whining.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:20 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 13,689,925 times
normie - yeah, I can't come up with much for Denver either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.