U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:59 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,247,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That your parents, being from Scarsdale, happened to be in Manhattan with their 13 year old child, at the exact time of the blackout, and decided to roam the streets with him, even after seeing the supposed dangerous "looting" happening... instead of trying to take him inside off of the big, bad looter filled Manhattan streets???

Yes, very hard to believe.

Just like how you happen to have already witnessed several muggings, robberies and shootings in NYC, at the age of 17, when you don't even live in the city... after multiple other posts from NYC residents tell their tales of how they've never really witnessed major crime and are happy to live in a safe city...

Very hard to believe.
We were in the city because we were visiting somebody.

I do ride-alongs with my uncle who is a uniformed police officer in New York City. I drive the streets of NYC to see ghetto life. It's the thing I like to do. Maybe I have balls, maybe I'm an idiot. But I have seen more crazy crap at age 17 than most of you will see in your life.

And I work in the Bronx. A few blocks from the Stadium. Not exactly a great neighborhood.

Whatever, you don't have to believe me. I know what really goes on in this city, and best part is, I DON'T EVEN LIVE WITHIN CITY LIMITS!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 07:03 PM

10,649 posts, read 18,078,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
We were in the city because we were visiting somebody.

I do ride-alongs with my uncle who is a uniformed police officer in New York City. I drive the streets of NYC to see ghetto life. It's the thing I like to do. Maybe I have balls, maybe I'm an idiot. But I have seen more crazy crap at age 17 than most of you will see in your life.

And I work in the Bronx. A few blocks from the Stadium. Not exactly a great neighborhood.

Whatever, you don't have to believe me. I know what really goes on in this city, and best part is, I DON'T EVEN LIVE WITHIN CITY LIMITS!
If you were in the city, why did your parents keep you on the dangerous looter filled streets during the blackout? Why would they take a 13 year old next to smashed out windows? How come none of the actual New York City residents on this board saw any of this?

You post some of the most misinformed stuff I've seen regarding NYC on this board. If your uncle is taking someone your age on ridealongs, he's violating policy by putting a minor in danger.

You really have no idea what you're talking about... and you put NYC in a bad light.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:45 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,247,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
If you were in the city, why did your parents keep you on the dangerous looter filled streets during the blackout? Why would they take a 13 year old next to smashed out windows? How come none of the actual New York City residents on this board saw any of this?

You post some of the most misinformed stuff I've seen regarding NYC on this board. If your uncle is taking someone your age on ridealongs, he's violating policy by putting a minor in danger.

You really have no idea what you're talking about... and you put NYC in a bad light.
I'm a Law Enforcement Explorer. I can do ride-alongs.

We didn't know there would be busted windows in that spot. We were just walking to the apt.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:12 PM

5,127 posts, read 8,172,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
I still never understood why people who visit the Northeast claim the people here are "rude". Sure, we may not make eye contact and say hello, but have you ever stopped to think that its because we see people everywhere everyday. We can't just nod and say hi to everyone we pass by on the street, you know. it would get very tiring.
Rude as far as confortations (bumping into someone, or a customer service dispute), for sure, it's the Northeast.
The friendliness can be a little underated, but, again they are real rude when they are mad about something and more agressive about it than other parts.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:31 PM

32,219 posts, read 74,209,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Rude as far as confortations (bumping into someone, or a customer service dispute), for sure, it's the Northeast.
The friendliness can be a little underated, but, again they are real rude when they are mad about something and more agressive about it than other parts.
I'll agree there. As an individual with five years retail experience here in Pennsylvania, I can tell you that the aggression, impatience, and hostility is incredible from both the consumers and employees.

Here's an honest experience from Black Friday 2006 in Wilkes-Barre, PA:

I was working as a loading assistant at a local home improvement big-box store and was scanning the parking lot in search of clients requiring assistance heaving heavy purchases into their vehicles when I observed a woman in her 40s or 50s pushing a rather large object (appeared to be a microwave) in her shopping cart down the middle of the vehicular right-of-way. I looked left, right, and left again and saw no vehicles, so I entered the middle of the road and offered the woman help, which she gladly accepted. I then tried to direct her shopping cart off to the side a bit so she was out of the way of traffic, at which point a middle-aged man driving a Volkswagen Beetle pulled up behind us, blared his horn, and screamed hostile remarks at us for "not watching where we're going." Feeling offended that a grown man would have the nerve to scream at a woman and teenager in a parking lot, I shot back "Why don't you have some patience, you jackass?" as he drove off. He then slammed on his brakes, backed his car up, pulled alongside of us, and began screaming at me for what I had said. He proceeded to say that he'd "snap my neck," at which point his wife in the passenger seat tried to get him to calm down. As I opened my mouth to defend my position the woman with the microwave caught me off guard by beating me to it and screaming back at him in my defense. As the three of us went at it, a small crowd of onlookers began to form in the adjacent parking aisle, attracted by the commotion. After threatening to have me fired the man sped off in a fit of rage too quickly for me to copy down his plate number to call 911 about his threat to "snap my neck."

The woman muttered to me "You could tell he was from New York. These people are disgusting with their attitudes." Sadly, for as much as I try to champion being open-minded I went on to agree with her. We both lamented how far our quality-of-life in Pennsylvania was going downhill now that so many rude New Yorkers like the above-mentioned party were moving in. New Yorkers stand to bring much-needed economic stimulation to Pennsylvania, but if they don't drop their moronic "tough guy" attitudes, then clashes like these are only going to continue to get much, much worse. Sadly, I observed incidents like these happening daily in our parking lot, sometimes escalating to cases of road-rage in which collisions occurred.

There was a spot of hope though that next day when I saw a woman struggling and ran over to help her. She said to me with a smile and a Renaissance voice "Chivalry tis not dead." I replied "Tis not, my fair lady" in a fellow Medieval style before we parted ways. I still think for every rude New Yorker there are two nice ones out there; I just wish more of these nice ones would move here.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,802,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
Define "antisocial gesture" for me. I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.
Rude stares and looks, offensive comments and insults without provocation on one's end, yelling obscenities to sound tough and cool, trying to act "urban or preppy," the list goes on and on.

Quote:
The DC area has many cultural differences from the New York area. One of the main differences, though I may be straying from the topic at hand, is modesty. New York doesn't have the 30k millionaires that are so prevalent in the DC area. Last time I visited Northern Virginia, the neighbors of a cluster-home area were so incredibly snobby, boasting that their homes cost in upwards of $500k when in southwestern CT, the same home on no land would be twice that amount. Only difference is, people in the NY area don't brag about money. Either you have it or you don't - it's not a daily topic of discussion. Personally, I find the consistent bragging about money (especially when you don't have it, and you live in those cluster-homes with brick fronts and vinyl siding rears) incredibly rude.
I have to agree w/ you about that one. The bragging of money in this area (in particular, what clothes one wears, what car one drives, etc.) is definitely a highlight in the university that I attend. Also, modestly is definitely the exception and not the rule when describing many kids who attend this school. The ones who attend to be modest are the ones who usually commute from home or somewhere else (i.o.w. the true and modest middle class). So during the evening and weekends, all that this school is mostly occupied by are the extremely low-class anti-intellectuals or the kids who are spoiled rich (or act like they are), which in either case, are the rudest bunches of people I've ever seen.

Quote:
Sure, maybe you're right when describing north Jersey, but have you been to Westchester County, Fairfield County and upper Manhattan? Folks in these areas are very conservative, reserved, classy people who don't brag about their wealth (even if they're the wealthiest of them all). Some of the richest families I've come across in Connecticut drive Volvo station wagons or a 1989 Mercedes that's been very well maintained.
Unfourtantely, my school has been overpopulated by those from NY and North Jersey. Those from South Jersey, and to an extent, Central Jersey, are slightly more friendlier, down to earth, and open to meeting new people. And New Yorkers, particularly those from the city and from Long Island have been mostly ****-offs, but those from Westchester and CT have been more affable and friendlier (or at least the lesser of evils compared to their Nassau Co. counterparts). My roommate from last semester was the friendliest roommate I had since I've been in this university, and he was from Westchester County.
Quote:
I see what you mean by standoffish. But, really, open your eyes and realize that these people live in one of the most populated areas on the planet. There's a reason they're unwilling - New Yorkers see more and experience more than 99% of other Americans. They've seen the scumbags roaming the streets and in the subways and find it hard to trust people.
I reside in an urban area near the district, and I see more than my fair share of scumbags roaming the streets (and even some that attend the university as well), and trust me, I can see how and why people can be untrustworthy of others. I'll admit that I'm guilty of being overly defensive, but it's mainly because of the rudeness and arrogance I receive from many of these individuals (that are either from MD, North NJ, or certatin parts of NY). But regardless, I don't turn around and become an a**hole to every one I see coming by just because they don't wear the same clothes, come from the same state, or have the same hairstyle.
Quote:
Those guys hardly represent the NY area. Again, it's more Jersey kids who are like that - maybe Long Island as well. If any kid walked into a restaurant or bar with that hairdo in Connecticut (30 miles north of Manhattan), heads would turn and they would be the outcasts. Sorry you have to attend college with them. But tell me, if you've met them, where are they from? My guess is LI and NJ.
But whenever they walk into the streets throughout this campus, especially a bar on campus, they become the life of the party instantaneously. Although I'll give you credit for mentioning the right location of where many of these arrogant pr*cks reside, you just forgot about those who live in the DC suburbs of MD.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:25 PM

90,351 posts, read 115,807,797 times
One time when we lived in Albany, a car was blocking something (I don't remember what now) at a grocery store. It had a Pennsylvania license. I, a native Pennsylvanian, said "and they say New Yorkers are rude", so the driver could hear me. He didn't move.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:31 PM

646 posts, read 745,786 times
I've seen a lot of rude people in DC, and they weren't even American of any type. Brits, Asians, French, stand out at the moment.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 5,627 times
San Fransisco- Very rich city, there is a very conflicting vibe with this city however, as it has the hippy and druggies as well as the rich as heck yuppies.

Seattle- There also is a lot of money here. Although it's in a lower league than San Fran and Minneapolis. It rains a lot, but people are pretty friendly.

L. A.- A huge metropolis that caters to whomever. People are pretty friendly for such a large place. There is something here for absolutely everyone.

Denver- Very chill here. People are very kind, and the city's beauty makes people be in a good mood it seems like. Very active and fit.

Minneapolis- A ton of money. The best health of any metro in the country. People are very friendly. Great summer weather/ cold in the winter. Very artsy. Beautiful.

Chicago- Huge city, and great people. Something for everyone. Midwest mannered. Cold winters/ great summers. Very beautiful city. Wonderful food.

Washington D.C.- Home to all of our nation's big government agencies, people are reserved, and more mysterious than usual. Pretty city. Hot summers, mild winters. Something for everyone.

New York- People here are not very nice. Something for everyone. Getting places takes a while. Everything is very fast paced. Things here are a mix of old and new. So much every where. A delight for anyone into excess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.