Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:24 AM

146 posts, read 797,466 times

Advertisements

I am only doing the cities that I know... I would love to hear more from people who actually live in different areas. How do people perceive people from your area? What do you think people from other regions think of your region?

I will do cities of the West Coast:

Portland, Seattle, San Francisco: Very DIY, punk/indie, quiet and keeps to themselves, slow-paced, outdoorsy/hippy, can still find "grunge" types in the area, likes to smoke pot and drink microbrews, very into reading, far-left liberal. Music: Devendra Banhart, Elliott Smith, The Decemberists.

Los Angeles: NYC wannabes trying to live a fast-pace lifestyle, very much into excess (hummers), loves gated communities, obsessed with looks (i.e.: plastic surgery), fake liberals. Music: Beyonce Knowles, Justin Timberlake.

San Diego: Very laid-back beach lifestyle, valley girl/surfer type speak (whoa duuuude!), really in their own little world, anti-professional, apathetic towards politics. Music: Sublime, Operation Ivy, Bob Marley, Weezer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 11:32 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
Northeast: Rude, insular, liberal, unintelligible accents
South: Well-mannered, "slow", conservative, good food, distinct accents that somehow gained a connotation for being stupid
Midwest: Friendly, conservative rural areas/liberal urban areas, no accents, snow, manufacturing
West: no accents, overrun with illegals, palm trees, mountains

Old 11-18-2007, 11:38 AM

Oh, you meant the individual cities? Ok, I'll do a couple in the Midwest

Detroit: Crime ridden, decayed, good suburbs
Chicago: Fat, rude, obsessed with Da Bears, nasal accents
Minneapolis: Cold, really nasal accents like in the movie "Fargo"
St. Louis: See Detroit
Cleveland: See Detroit

I don't know enough about the other five cities to sterotype them

Old 11-18-2007, 11:40 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Oh, you meant the individual cities? Ok, I'll do a couple in the Midwest

Detroit: Crime ridden, decayed, good suburbs
Chicago: Fat, rude, obsessed with Da Bears, nasal accents
Minneapolis: Cold, really nasal accents like in the movie "Fargo"
St. Louis: See Detroit
Cleveland: See Detroit

I don't know enough about the other five cities to sterotype them
Baltimore : See Detroit

(i know its not the midwest)

Old 11-18-2007, 11:44 AM

146 posts, read 797,466 times
Well, there were a few threads discussing the culture of different regions and cities. I just really wanted to know exactly what the culture is for each region. I want to know what the people are like, or how they feel they are viewed.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Scranton, PA: Rusted-out, declined, ugly, dirty, decaying, behind the times, backwards, uneducated, dorky (thanks to "The Office"), insular

Old 11-18-2007, 12:26 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,415 times
I still never understood why people who visit the Northeast claim the people here are "rude". Sure, we may not make eye contact and say hello, but have you ever stopped to think that its because we see people everywhere everyday. We can't just nod and say hi to everyone we pass by on the street, you know. it would get very tiring.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
I still never understood why people who visit the Northeast claim the people here are "rude". Sure, we may not make eye contact and say hello, but have you ever stopped to think that its because we see people everywhere everyday. We can't just nod and say hi to everyone we pass by on the street, you know. it would get very tiring.
Agreed. I come across thousands of people per day on my travels, and I can't be cordial to each and every one of them. It's simply impossible.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:47 PM

646 posts, read 813,939 times
Quote:

It's all about space, the different types, personal and interpersonal that make people either want to meet and greet or not. Depends on how much space one has. Cramped places due to infrastructural reasons, very high rent, like in San Francisco people are more protective of their space, and the more density the more boundaries have to be established while in areas of plentiful space there is less need to establish such boundaries.

It's best to have a balance or equilibrium. Not extreme density nor sprawl.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Compared to the rest of the nation, Northeasterners do have a tendency to be rude and inconsiderate.

I was shocked at how impatient people were in New York, and they don't even hold doors for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.