Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:47 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times

Advertisements

The gays are definitely present in "Rehomo Beach!"

edit: (to save me from more red dots ) This is a commonly-known nickname for Rehoboth in the gay community.

Last edited by lammius; 11-19-2007 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 02:08 PM

333 posts, read 467,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I'm not arguing that not making eye-contact and not saying 'hello' is rude. I can understand how those things are not efficient in the sense of time. However, making the antisocial gestures is something commonplace, even in a rushed place like where I am. And the rudeness just doesn't occur when one's busy or rushing to get from Point A to Point B.
Define "antisocial gesture" for me. I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.

Quote:
Have you been to the Washington DC area? Maybe we're not as big as the NYC Tristate, but DC and its suburbs are hardly considered "small towns"
Yes, I am originally from the DC area - I moved to southwestern Connecticut. The DC area has many cultural differences from the New York area. One of the main differences, though I may be straying from the topic at hand, is modesty. New York doesn't have the 30k millionaires that are so prevalent in the DC area. Last time I visited Northern Virginia, the neighbors of a cluster-home area were so incredibly snobby, boasting that their homes cost in upwards of $500k when in southwestern CT, the same home on no land would be twice that amount. Only difference is, people in the NY area don't brag about money. Either you have it or you don't - it's not a daily topic of discussion. Personally, I find the consistent bragging about money (especially when you don't have it, and you live in those cluster-homes with brick fronts and vinyl siding rears) incredibly rude.

Quote:
Trust me when I say the rude looks ans gestures can come from individuals when they're even in the most comfortable of situations. When it comes to meeting people, individuals in this region tend to be the most standoffish and unwilling. But in general, it's these same individuals who are the extreme A-Types that will try to get the most attention in the most obnoxious and arrogant ways.
Unwilling for what? Sure, maybe you're right when describing north Jersey, but have you been to Westchester County, Fairfield County and upper Manhattan? Folks in these areas are very conservative, reserved, classy people who don't brag about their wealth (even if they're the wealthiest of them all). Some of the richest families I've come across in Connecticut drive Volvo station wagons or a 1989 Mercedes that's been very well maintained.

I see what you mean by standoffish. But, really, open your eyes and realize that these people live in one of the most populated areas on the planet. There's a reason they're unwilling - New Yorkers see more and experience more than 99% of other Americans. They've seen the scumbags roaming the streets and in the subways and find it hard to trust people. It's not the small town (yes, small town) in MD or VA where everyone knows everyone and if you don't, you stop and say hello. Up here in the NYC area, I've noticed, once you open up to someone and engage in conversation, it's more meaningful, trusting and genuine than most conversations I've had while living in DC. I don't understand what you mean by those looking for attention because frankly I don't see much of it in Connecticut and Westchester County.

Quote:
And as for the picture of the guys and girls at the bar w/ the greased hair and slutty clothing, that basically sums up how people are every weekend (and most weekday nights) at the university I attend.
Those guys hardly represent the NY area. Again, it's more Jersey kids who are like that - maybe Long Island as well. If any kid walked into a restaurant or bar with that hairdo in Connecticut (30 miles north of Manhattan), heads would turn and they would be the outcasts. Sorry you have to attend college with them. But tell me, if you've met them, where are they from? My guess is LI and NJ.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:11 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,933,217 times
LOL, I think it's fair to say that there's arrogance on both sides of the Potomac. (And I think it's good natured, too. There's no real tension.)

Let's remember that this thread's about stereotypes, not about true feelings. The stereotype that many Marylanders think they are better than Virginians is so well known that Washington Monthly Magazine devoted most of an issue and their cover to this subject. It was hilarious, and even had a 4-page spread listing all the possible pros and cons of each side. Go to your local library and check it out, it's classic.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:26 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Compared to the rest of the nation, Northeasterners do have a tendency to be rude and inconsiderate.

I was shocked at how impatient people were in New York, and they don't even hold doors for you!
Why should we? You out-of-staters constantly call us "rude *******s."

Really, though, we are the most dense region. We're around people 24/7, sometimes we're just not in the mood to talk.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:31 PM

333 posts, read 467,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Why should we? You out-of-staters constantly call us "rude *******s."

Really, though, we are the most dense region. We're around people 24/7, sometimes we're just not in the mood to talk.
Exactly - very well put.

Those claiming "rude and arrogant" are usually from a city 1/20th of NY's size, if not smaller.

Even in NY's quiet suburbs (White Plains, Stamford, Yonkers), you still have some sort of life out there at 3am.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
But Northeastern people have the time to act rude and arrogant, give pompous and angry looks, and flick and curse anyone out for the most insignificant inconveniences. I can sort of understand how rushing for the sake of having a busy schedule can prohibit people enough time to be generous and can be misconceived as being rude, but if one is too busy being nice, shouldn't the same application apply of being too busy to be arrogant and hateful? Or is it just me who realizes this?
I think it's just you who realizes it... Or at least cares about it. Again, we're constantly around people. The last person we want to hold a door for is some dude in an Angels or Cardinals hat with a giant camera wrapped around his shoulder while holding a map with a stupid look on his face. We just don't have time, or we don't want to spend it doing that. lol I'm just kidding. But seriously, don't put a Cards or Angels hat on around me. Arghh

Old 11-19-2007, 02:43 PM

646 posts, read 812,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, I think it's fair to say that there's arrogance on both sides of the Potomac. (And I think it's good natured, too. There's no real tension.)

Let's remember that this thread's about stereotypes, not about true feelings. The stereotype that many Marylanders think they are better than Virginians is so well known that Washington Monthly Magazine devoted most of an issue and their cover to this subject. It was hilarious, and even had a 4-page spread listing all the possible pros and cons of each side. Go to your local library and check it out, it's classic.

I recall being in the area when they did a talk show about it on the radio. A Marylander called in and said " I know you people in VA think we're all big drunks up here...!"

I think it's really a lot of wasted energy why they should do this, but you have to remember too that even within MD they stereotype terribly Baltimorons, like No VA try to do to Eastern VA.
I don't know how this tangential topic rose up but I jumped in with observations.

I do think it's rather pathetic that a national capital would busy itself so much with petty local squabbles, I always thought that much. There's really not much of that up here in NY/NJ everyone is given that NY is the dominant and Jersey revolves around it in the North and Phila in its South.

I don't know why still Baltimore would even try to compete with DC on a simliar note, it's really silly, very silly for them to do so.

LA/SF I can understand, Hou/Dal, yep, and so on. I've known many Marylanders who have actually settled in Va.

Also there is a lot of commercial play and real estate or development deals between firms in Balto and in Southeast Va.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
But that experience also helped during the big blackout and power grid failure in the hot summer of 2003 not even two hours later. No one rioted, no one looted.
Yeah, they did. lol I remember walking by a shoe store during it... Broken windows.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
When we vacationed in NYC recently, ditto. We were on the subway looking at a map, and someone asked us where we were going, then told us which stop we needed to use.
Wow. As a native NYer, that amazes me. But I guess you'll find good people anywhere.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:54 PM

646 posts, read 812,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yeah, they did. lol I remember walking by a shoe store during it... Broken windows.

I shouldn't have said "no one". But incidents were very minimal and the figures low to make it seem relatively or virtually no one. By and large, well you know whatamean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.