Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,112 times

Advertisements

Futurecop? Are you trying to argue about something?? NYC is one of the safest cities in the country.. 8 million people live there. If it had the same murder rate as Detroit, it would have 10 times as many murders as it does now. They don't teach you math in cop school???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:44 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Comcast.net News - National - Motor City Named Nation's Most Dangerous
Just what we need. another list. This list was interesting. Some of the same cities like Detroit on it but others not.
Does anyone have the entire list? I checked the FBI's website and can't seem to find the list so we can check out the rankings of different cities....

Old 11-19-2007, 06:53 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icy River Vagabond View Post
Futurecop? Are you trying to argue about something?? NYC is one of the safest cities in the country.. 8 million people live there. If it had the same murder rate as Detroit, it would have 10 times as many murders as it does now. They don't teach you math in cop school???
Yes, I understand, but murderous can mean two things. Most murders or per capita? Which one is it? There are more murderous people in NYC, Chicago, and LA, but per capita there's more in Detroit, Philly, Buffalo, etc.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:21 PM

43 posts, read 312,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
You'd think NYC would be up there considering it has the most murders in the country... I don't think per capita applies to this, especially when you have 2 people KILLED per day when some of these cities have nothing going on some days. That's NYC for ya, always something going on. And this is New York, murders are not always by guns here, but by machetes, saws, chains, anything lying on the streets, abondoned warehouses, docks, etc. Who knows what's going on behind the doors we so casually walk by everyday... Some stories you'd probably rather not hear about.

Within the last week, over 17 people have been killed in NYC. And you can't forget people who were shot but survived, thanks to our great hospitals.

lol this kid is a homer for real. New York is one of the safest cities in USA.
Detroit wins

Old 11-19-2007, 07:23 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I'm surprised that Washington, D.C., Miami, and Los Angeles are nowhere on the list nor Pittsburgh. Baltimore is no doubt, though, its a Third WOrld city in America, the authentic Rust Belt with decaying landscapes and abandoned buildings everywhere and visible poverty even in the downtown business area. Oh yeah and where is Jersey City?

Just an indication of the decline of the Northeastern and northern cities and people wonder why the Sunbelt continues to draw more and more people every year? I mean anyone who is able to leave Baltimore, DC, Philadelphia, Detroit, or Cleveland or anywhere in New Jersey has already done so.
As if sunbelt cities had no murders? As meteroplitan areas, these cities are pretty safe. The cities on this list get dragged down by certain neighborhoods. Anacostia, Washington. North Phila., Compton, Los Angeles. Does that mean that people are fleeing Georgetown, Rittenhouse Square, or The Westside? No. The violence is not even generalizable to middle-class areas. Phila. and Washington were on the list. Baltimore's problems are specific to Baltimore, not the entire Northeast. New Jersey has just as many cities in the safest 25 as the most dangerous. The sunbelt has more overall crime. Compton, Birmingham, Memphis, Richmond, Atlanta, Little Rock, Charleston and Orlando were all in the top 25 last year. New Orleans made the tops this year on this list. If the South had any big cities, their crime rates would be astronomical. Now you know why I wonder why the Northeast continues to supposedly decline (It really isn't. It is generally stagnant.) The crime list, even if it were actually reported in context (The FBI has discredited the use of their statistics in this manner), is no treatise on the Northeast.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
lol this kid is a homer for real. New York is one of the safest cities in USA.
Detroit wins
lol Oh, really? You really made yourself known in the Glamorous thread.

And actually, Detroit is #2.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
lol Oh, really? You really made yourself known in the Glamorous thread.

And actually, Detroit is #2.

no check the latest stats, Detroit is once again number 1

Old 11-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
no check the latest stats, Detroit is once again number 1
I don't think so. The FBI hasn't really released the stats yet and all the sites I checked into listed St. Louis at the top.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. The FBI hasn't really released the stats yet and all the sites I checked into listed St. Louis at the top.

Check yahoo. Detroit is number 1 again. It barely beat out St. Louis. Aint like it's something to brag about

Old 11-19-2007, 08:00 PM

Motor City named nation's most dangerous - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Found it. Compton is no longer 4th, it wasn't even listed. Hm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.