Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:50 PM

138 posts, read 328,276 times

Advertisements

West Virginia sums up what the U.S is perceived to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
My first thought was Ohio. The only thing I can think of that's lacking is an ocean and ocean. boats, fishing, is important to a lot of people.

I think of it as American spirit, not in terms of race or religion or anything else. Just the general American feeling, not extremes one way or the other.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:53 PM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I would say every state is as all-American as the rest. I mean, how can any one state be more American then another?
They all have cities surrounded by American style suburbs. Small rural towns. Main street. 24 hour convenient stores and gas stations. State fairs. Fourth of July parades. Farmland. Forests. Parks. Political mixes of conservative/liberal. Farmers markets. Thanksgiving. Mall Santas. High school football games. Camp grounds. Cheezy tourist attractions. And many other things considered "Americana" can be found in every state. Larger states might have more of some particular things but that doesn't make them more American then the smaller ones.
I agree with this, except for maybe Hawaii. Does anybody think Hawaii is an all-American state?

Old 10-13-2013, 10:43 PM

623 posts, read 957,915 times
Ohio

Old 10-14-2013, 12:40 AM

605 posts, read 1,165,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It has nothing to do with size, rather "All American" feel. Florida has a high minority population which by definition sort of disqualifies from the term.
Did anyone else read this?

Old 10-14-2013, 03:41 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,609 times
R.i.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
Did anyone else read this?
i guess we have to get all pedantic and define "all american" now, don't we ?

well, look it up on urbandictionary. all the highest-voted definitions of all-american include "white".

Old 10-14-2013, 06:46 AM

383 posts, read 512,338 times
Ohio, the link to the Northeast, South and Midwest. It seems to have a little of everything besides, ocean and mountains. Politically, it is the bellwether state and the go to for picking the next president.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:30 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,263 times
I also agree that Ohio is the All American state.

All the bigger states, although Ohio is a pretty big state, have their own cultures that are not really represented nationwide. Ohio seems like it could be placed in any state in the US.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:00 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.phillips View Post
We all know one state cannot embody a whole nation, however, what state would come closest to being the All-American state.

I was born in Olympia, WA, however, my parents moved to the UK when I was VERY young. I wouldn't say my home state is All-American (however, I have only lived there for 2 years as a baby, so not great recollection).

I'd rule out:

Washington (State, obvs)
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
New Mexico
Arizona
Hawaii
Alaska
Arizona
Oregon
North Dakota
South Dakota
Maine
Florida
Louisiana
Mississippi
Delaware
Vermont
Minnesota
Nevada
Rhode Island
New Hampshire
Connecticut

Curious to know what states out of the remaining states would sum up the USA.

Ohio absolutely! Although I'm a recent transplant to this great state, I've had my eyes on it for some time, and it's a perfect microcosm of America.

In fact, the fact that Ohio is frequently thought of as a "bell weather state" in presidential elections, and the old saw "As Ohio goes, so does the country" bares that out.

Ohio has a "little bit of everything and nothing too extreme". We have some relatively large cities, plenty of rural areas, and suburban centers. We do have a coast with beaches and lighthouses - but it's on Lake Erie, and there are some hills that give way to the Appalachians of West Virginia and Pennsylvania.Many small towns positively sing with American icons - general stores, and town squares, white steepled churches and tree lined streets with stately pre-war colonial style homes that conjure visions of Wally and Beaver Cleaver walking home from school on an early Autumn afternoon.

In fact, although it was never announced officially on "Leave it to Beaver", Mayfield, home of Ward, June and the boys alluded to it's Buckeye roots on a number of episodes, and the checks on Ward's desk were imprinted with "Mayfield OH".

I think frequently when producers of television programs want to write a place into the script "Ohio" works because most Americans can relate to at least part of it, and it's location does not command attention the way NYC, Hawaii, Alaska, California or Florida would. It's a good backdrop for average.
And that's not a bad thing.

Ohio looks like America physically - from farms with silos and red barns to cities with respectably tall buildings. There is no dominant ethnic group or race here. We are diverse but not so diverse that we don't look like a melting pot - because we are.

I'd say Ohio hands down.

Last edited by sheena12; 10-14-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.