Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are there any mixed cities where race just doesnt matter?
Sure, tons 38 33.63%
A few 41 36.28%
Nope, none 34 30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:44 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I still wish The Man didn't attempt to hold me down when I was coming up. Oh well, too late now!
lol, The Man? I'm a bit confused Colts...elaborate a little please if you will...do you mean God, The Man? Or something else? Sorry if I'm a little brain-dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 07:58 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Bay Area doesnt really have racial issues. First off, we have no majority race and people tend to get along well.

I think we have more of a class issue.
I can't fathom how anyone believe there are NO racial issues in a X city! Every city has some level of racial problems. I agree that the Bay Area is better than most, but it still has racial issues. You say it is more a matter of class. What race is the majority of the upper class in the Bay Area? What race(s) are the majority of the lower class in the Bay Area? As long as the racial lines seem to be coincident with the class lines, I think an area has racial issues.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:14 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Bay Area doesnt really have racial issues. First off, we have no majority race and people tend to get along well.

I think we have more of a class issue.

are you including oakland?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
are you including oakland?
Oakland as in my hometown, that I know better than anywhere else? YES.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:47 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I can't fathom how anyone believe there are NO racial issues in a X city! Every city has some level of racial problems. I agree that the Bay Area is better than most, but it still has racial issues. You say it is more a matter of class. What race is the majority of the upper class in the Bay Area? What race(s) are the majority of the lower class in the Bay Area? As long as the racial lines seem to be coincident with the class lines, I think an area has racial issues.
I dont think we have racial issues like other places-this is due to extensive experience in lots of places. Plain and simple.

Not only that, but this is California, In the Bay Area, blacks and whites arent the only game in town-we have more 3 times as many asians and hispanics as we do blacks. Neither blacks nor whites are as special here as they may be in podunk usa-sorry.

All of this nonsense that originated in the south and east is really not an issue here the way it is there.

Im not saying its a color blind utopia-obviously not. What I am saying is that where race may have once been an issue decades ago, it has long since been overshadowed and replaced by class.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:20 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,500 times
I think it depends on who you ask. Many caucasians may say no. Most others will say yes. I think racism and segregation exist everywhere in the US, just to a greater degree in some areas.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:30 AM

146 posts, read 688,934 times
This isn't the 1950s--there aren't all that many people running around calling black people derogatory names and wearing sheets. That ugly face of racism is disappearing fast, but the underlying problems remain. Racism is, by and large, a class issue in the United States, as there's a huge correlation between race and class. So any time a class issue pops up (ie., all the time) in a place that isn't totally white (ie., where most Americans live) it's going to have serious racial overtones.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:57 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,959 times
And it depends on where one is. If it's in the Southern and Eastern US, the racial baggage will more likely involve blacks. In the Southwest, Hispanics will be the main target. And as foe Asians, they would most likely face problems on the West Coast than anywhere else. This is especially an issue if the majority of the race is of the lower income spectrum. In the Northeast, for example, there are a suitable amount of Asians, but they tend to do fine in this region very well because of their income and social customs being more parallel with what's acceptable. This also tends to be true for blacks in most parts of the West Coast, Southwest, and Pacific NW as well.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:57 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,014 times
as bay area native i can recognize the denial most residents have about it not having racial issues. the most common response is that the bay area has more of a class divide. many bay area residents are bitter with the fact that all though the bay area is the most liberal metro area in the united states, there are still are alot of racial problems. Now i'm not saying we are LA where skin heads run around, and mexicans try to attack blacks in an attempt to ethnicly cleanse neighborhoods, but the bay area still has problems.

Hell back in the 70's beat cops would chase blacks and mexicans out of san leandro when they were comming from hayward or oakland.

I feel that montclair is failing to recognize that class and race are often interwoven issues. I mean seriously montclair you are from oakland, i am from the berkeley hills. Which groups of people tend to live in the flats, which groups of people tend to live in the hills. What colors are these communites typically.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 PM

236 posts, read 615,172 times
A huge amount of Blacks are impoverished pretty much everywhere.Whites dont seem to mind or see it as a racial issue,even though much of this black poverty stems from whites discrimination against blacks in jobs and housing.Go ahead,deny it,but blacks have been living in hell every since we have been in america and its not all of a sudden all our faults.How convient to just say ''hey screw it,they are doing it to themselves now'' while ignoring what happens most times when a black man fills out an application to get a job(''nope,not gonna hire him'').

Man,we are screwed (we as in the back community).It makes me sick to my ****ing stomach the way white america acts.Its like watching a dog starve to death that is chained right in front of your house and walking by it everyday,grocery bags in tow,whistling and pretending to not even see the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.