Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:05 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

I think Rhode Island is pretty divided, you could make 3 or 4 states!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 03:57 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
This is true, and quite often it's an urban and rural divide. If all regions of the US map looked like New England we'd have about 300 states.
Oregon could basically be three to four states, since Eastern Oregon wants nothing to do with Western Oregon and Portland once you get past Bend, and Southern Oregon has historically felt distant and ignored by Salem. Which leads into the whole State of Jefferson thing. Than you'd have other parts of Western Oregon that would want to seprate from Portland. But yeah, every state could be divided up like this if every little region was allowed to split up.

Who knows how many states California would end up as... Northern and Southern California is just a broad split, then you'd have far Northern California(State of Jefferson again), the more conservative parts of Southern California would secede from the LA area, the more conservative inland part of Northern California(Central Valley and Sierras and so on) would secede from the liberal coastal part of Northern California, and then the Central Coast would split from the rest of Northern California and Southern California--and so on and so on...

But honestly having all these little states and more state government infrastructure to set up would end up being costlier for a lot of these regions than it already is. People never seem to mention that.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 PM

375 posts, read 799,712 times
I'd say that in Nebraska, while it's not different enough to be two states, I always thought western Nebraska looked more like Wyoming or Colorado. It's got more buttes and badlands and people are just as likely to follow the Denver Broncos as they are the Huskers. I think there was even a movement at some point to make the panhandle of Nebraska join Wyoming.

As for other states, Missouri should be somewhat split up. Kansas City and Northwest Missouri feels more like it should be part of Kansas. Saint Louis is basically, Illinois, and northern Missouri is more Midwestern. Don't get me wrong, most of Southern Missouri isn't Southern (i've been to SW Missouri, and Springfield, is only somewhat southern, while Joplin and Branson while a little more, are more of a Southern/Midwest hybrid, not really southern in the sense of sweet tea and grit and all that.

South Dakota also is kind of like two states. The east seems more like Minnesota with more rivers and corn and wheat. Western SD has the ranching, the badlands and the Black Hills, which have more of a wyoming/colorado feel.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I think it would be easier to make a list of states that I wouldn't consider to be 2 or more different states put together for one reason or another (or several)

Rhode Island
Connecticut
New Hampshire
Vermont
Delaware
West Virginia
Mississippi
Hawaii
Alaska (ironically enough, even though it's geographic size could make it into about 15 states!)

Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
But how many have a new state on the ballot for 2014? Only one. Colorado.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:09 AM

27,166 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You could easily make several states out of

Illinois: Chicagoland is one state, the rest of Illinois is another. They're way different.
New York: NYC, LI, and the suburbs just north of the city are one state, the rest is another.
Maryland: Same idea. Baltimore, Baltimore county is one state. Then there's the rest of Maryland
California: Probably at least three states. Southern Cali (LA and San Diego), Northen Cali (San Jose, San Francisco, Scaramneto), and the Inland Empire
Florida: The panhandle is not like the rest of Florida really. Two different Floridas right there.
Virginia: NOVA is not like the rest of Virginia. It is a northeastern state plunked down in the Old Confederacy.
I would go as far as to say there are as many as four Floridas. The Panhandle is pretty much on it's own and bears more similarity and everyday life with Alabama. The remaining section of North Florida south from Jacksonville to 30 miles or so north of I-4 is fairly conservative overall, and shares many similarities with southern Georgia. Gainesville and Tallahassee are islands of blue in this area and Jacksonville considered purple. Otherwise it's very Red politically and socially. South of I-4, three quarters of this area of the state can be lumped together. The Tampa Bay area, Orlando, Sarasota south to Naples and the east coast south from Daytona Beach to Jupiter. This area is moderate with the major cities (Tampa, St Pete, Clearwater and Orlando) Blue, the rest of this area outside those cities is quite Red and similar to areas in Northern Florida. The fourth Florida is Southeast Florida from Jupiter south to Key West and 30 miles inland. It's solidly blue and fairly progressive, and unlike the rest of the state(s) without much variation across it's geographical area in terms of lifestyle and beliefs. Florida is very unusually mixed in my opinion in that there aren't clear definitions like many states, which is one of the many reasons why elections here are always down to the last minute.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:38 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
Western Washington and the rest of the state, maybe even the Puget Sound and the rest of the state.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:56 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would go as far as to say there are as many as four Floridas. The Panhandle is pretty much on it's own and bears more similarity and everyday life with Alabama. The remaining section of North Florida south from Jacksonville to 30 miles or so north of I-4 is fairly conservative overall, and shares many similarities with southern Georgia. Gainesville and Tallahassee are islands of blue in this area and Jacksonville considered purple. Otherwise it's very Red politically and socially. South of I-4, three quarters of this area of the state can be lumped together. The Tampa Bay area, Orlando, Sarasota south to Naples and the east coast south from Daytona Beach to Jupiter. This area is moderate with the major cities (Tampa, St Pete, Clearwater and Orlando) Blue, the rest of this area outside those cities is quite Red and similar to areas in Northern Florida. The fourth Florida is Southeast Florida from Jupiter south to Key West and 30 miles inland. It's solidly blue and fairly progressive, and unlike the rest of the state(s) without much variation across it's geographical area in terms of lifestyle and beliefs. Florida is very unusually mixed in my opinion in that there aren't clear definitions like many states, which is one of the many reasons why elections here are always down to the last minute.
I had a professor in college who was from Florida and he'd always remark that he felt that Jacksonville was just Georgia, the Panhandle was just Alabama, and Miami/South Florida was just a cross between New York and Havana, while Orlando and Tampa and surrounding region were the real Florida.

A broad statement, but at the same time it does represent how Florida is probably the most segmented of any state(even more so than California, where the divisions are more coastal vs. inland and urban liberal vs. rural conservative in many ways.)

Last edited by Deezus; 10-15-2013 at 12:19 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Definitely MD. The eastern shore is a total different area then the central areas of Baltimore, Washington and the surrounding suburbs.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:42 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
Michigan is made up of two distinct peninsulas, The Upper Peninsula is very different to the lower both in lifestyle and geographical features. Some years ago the UP tried to become its own state, Superior but failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.