Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 07:07 PM

23,289 posts, read 23,662,705 times

Advertisements

SoCal does have some excellent pho restaurants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
You will find the best pho (and Vietnamese food) in the LA area (imo). Come and try it if you ever get a chance. 2nd best I've had goes to the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 PM

When in LA, we always hit these pho places:

1/ Golden Deli (San Gabriel).

Golden Deli - San Gabriel, CA

2/ Saigon Eden (San Gabriel).

Saigon Eden - San Gabriel, CA

Both have a solid 4 star rating on Yelp. Obviously, the list is not exclusive, as there are many others in the LA area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
My family is in Los Angeles and I'm overdue for a visit. Do you mind recommending a few places? I bet there's some dynamite Vietnamese there!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:50 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,108,701 times
I don't know that I've ever had any bad Pho. It's really simple street food, so differences between places tend to be in slight nuances of flavors. I've had equally good bowls of Pho in Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Francisco, Berkeley, and Los Angeles, as far as I can remember.

I do remember friends visiting me in Houston from Austin in about 1990, specifically to try Pho because they couldn't locate good examples in Austin.

@Metro Matt-- I never said it was "unpopular" in Houston, so take a breath. Not everyone who comments is taking on Houston. I simply said it has waned a bit from its zenith of several years ago when Vietnamese cuisine seemed to be more influential (or at least more popular) in Houston. It was not then, nor is it now "on every corner" either. Like I said, Pho is not that special or unique, so it doesn't inspire competition to make different styles. It's a simple, traditional dish with great examples of it to be found in any city with a sizable Vietnamese population.

I am very good friends with someone who owns a couple of Vietnamese restaurants in Houston. I have even partnered with him in a couple of business ventures and have worked to promote his restaurants. I have an accurate view of the Pho landscape in Houston.

Last edited by JMT; 10-21-2013 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,389,147 times
Quote:
I normally feel that Sriracha could be used as currency, but in pho it adds too much sweetness for me. To get the heat, I add raw jalapeno slices. Mmm mmm mmm.
Agreed. As a pho rookie I put sriracha in it but it alters the taste too much, so does soy sauce. Esp if it's not the standard Huy Fong you see in places, most real sriracha (coming straight from asia) is a bit sweeter actually. Some can have a more vinegary and bordering on fish sauce pungency to it. Better to just add salt and pure heat with salt and jalapeno/thai chile's. Be careful though, jalapenos in broth make the food way hotter overall b/c of the oil and stuff and what you might eat on a sandwich will be way hotter submerged in a steeping broth.

I've had bad pho once, the meatballs were freaking frozen inside still, never went back.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 PM

Yeah, I think Sriracha kills the delicate taste of the broth also. I also pile jalapenos in my pho when I want heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Agreed. As a pho rookie I put sriracha in it but it alters the taste too much, so does soy sauce. Better to just add salt and pure heat with salt and jalapeno/thai chile's. Be careful though, jalapenos in broth make the food way hotter overall b/c of the oil and stuff and what you might eat on a sandwich will be way hotter submerged in a steeping broth.

I've had bad pho once, the meatballs were freaking frozen inside still, never went back.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:11 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,063,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
When in LA, we always hit these pho places:

1/ Golden Deli (San Gabriel).

Golden Deli - San Gabriel, CA

2/ Saigon Eden (San Gabriel).

Saigon Eden - San Gabriel, CA

Both have a solid 4 star rating on Yelp. Obviously, the list is not exclusive, as there are many others in the LA area.
GOLDEN DELI looks so good...especially the egg rolls

Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,249,386 times
Quote:
Hmm...I'm not sure Kathryn. I might need a receipt for that claim next time you're in the City. (receipt=proof)
OK - see you in about two weeks - LOL!

Seriously though - it's SOOOOOO easy to make!

Old 10-21-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly;31890763

Hmm:think:...I'm not sure Kathryn. I might need a receipt for that claim next time you're in the City:ok:. ([B
receipt=proof[/b])
That's twice you referred to New Orleans as "the City". Is that a thing now?

People in SF and Manhattan (and a few others from that contentious thread a few months ago) want to know.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,063,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
That's twice you referred to New Orleans as "the City". Is that a thing now?

People in SF and Manhattan (and a few others from that contentious thread a few months ago) want to know.
Lol. Okay well you tell SF and Manhattan that NOLA area residents have long called inner-city New Orleans "the City". There's the Westbank(across the Mississippi River), Metairie/Kenner(suburbs to the west/Airport), the Northshore(north of Lake Pontchatrain), and then there's the City .

Old 10-22-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Lol. Okay well you tell SF and Manhattan that NOLA area residents have long called inner-city New Orleans "the City". There's the Westbank(across the Mississippi River), Metairie/Kenner(suburbs to the west/Airport), the Northshore(north of Lake Pontchatrain), and then there's the City .
I don't know... I think I need further verification. I don't doubt that it can be used interchangeably with "downtown" as you describe, but to refer to as such to a person in Texas? I don't think that's common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.