Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:26 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
We all know Hollywood is a joke, the laughing stock of the educated, powerful real world
This is entirely true.

What I dont understand is how they can seriously say that this (Chase Field in AZ...formerly Bank One Ballpark):

Is more appealing than this:

or this:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 11:26 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,058 times
All right I'll bite...

Wrigley Field is an icon... no one who loves baseball can
argue that point. To the non purist that just want to take
their family to a game with out hassle, other modern
venues are set up better.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:26 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,504 times
Connecticut gets my vote having lived there for so long. While it gets a bad rap to some extent, as there are plenty of beautiful areas to visit, you just don't sense anyone really identifies the state with anything infamous, or at least a certain landmark. Even the support for its biggest sports program, UConn basketball, is weird- they treat it more as a pro team with a pro-style environment at games. The biggest sports rival per state as voted for in a Sports Illustarted poll, came out to be Tennessee! You can scoff at women's basketball if you like, but that isn't even the point. Because Tennessee also happenes to have an acclaimed women's basketball program as well?! Does anyone in Tennessee actually think for a second its biggest state rival is Connecticut? If CT had more of an identity, you would think NY or Mass would win out in a sports survey. It may seem irrelevant to some, but I think this is very tell-tale of the lethargic nature of people in the state to take pride in what they have and contrast it to one of its neighboring states, not a state far away to the south. Matter of fact, CT is often regarded as a hub for either Boston or NY, despite that many areas are 1-1/2 to 2 hours from either city.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:29 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
All right I'll bite...

Baseball games are a relaxing, traditional experience. To really enjoy and remember the experience, your best bet would be Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, or Yankee Stadium. These are the places you want your kids first game to be at. Nobody cares if you say you've been to Chase Field, but when you say Wrigley, Yankee, or Fenway, people will notice it.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
All right I'll bite...

Set up better? How? More dining options? Whatever happened to a good ol hot dog and crackerjacks? Most of the new ballparks are a disgrace with their stupid waterfalls and swimming pools, air conditioning, Wi-Fi terminals, etc. The pussification of America at its best! Modern society sucks, and theyre dragging old-school tradition down the toilets with them.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:39 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Steve-O, I agree with you, 100%. America has become a Land of *******... Toughest nation my ass. Soccer mom suburbia, cookie-cutter homes, boredom. NYC, Chicago, and DC will always run America.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Set up better? How? More dining options? Whatever happened to a good ol hot dog and crackerjacks? Most of the new ballparks are a disgrace with their stupid waterfalls and swimming pools, air conditioning, Wi-Fi terminals, etc. The pussification of America at its best! Modern society sucks, and theyre dragging old-school tradition down the toilets with them.
Modern society... like .. um.. the internet ?
You're starting to sound like SNL's grumpy old man.... and we liked it.
I was referring to parking, traffic, and bathroom facilities.
Personally I'm happy to enjoy the new and the classic.

( Pussification...I like it. If it ain't a word it should be ).

Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Steve-O, I agree with you, 100%. America has become a Land of *******... Toughest nation my ass. Soccer mom suburbia, cookie-cutter homes, boredom. NYC, Chicago, and DC will always run America.
What, driving a Yukon (where you dont even need one) through Starbuck's drive-thru while wearing Gucci sunglasses and listening to Britney Spears while chatting on an i-phone isnt, like, you know, totally sweeeeeet?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM

Future Cop you are a spunky little dude.
I'll bet a testicle in twenty years you'll see things differently

Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Modern society... like .. um.. the internet ?
You're starting to sound like SNL's grumpy old man.... and we liked it.
I was referring to parking, traffic, and bathroom facilities.
Personally I'm happy to enjoy the new and the classic.

( Pussification...I like it. If it ain't a word it should be ).
No, modern society as in...if you cant get a Starbucks at a ballgame or have air conditioning, then they whine and cry like usual. Or if they actually have to, you know, walk a block or two Heaven forbid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.